Welcome to PatsFans.com

End of a Brief Era....Borders Books Shuts Down

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jul 21, 2011.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Which means over 10,000 more people unemployed.

Some will say "this is ok, the industry is transitioning to the internet" which would be true, but it's BAD for society.

People have been gathering at Borders in a social manner for years. They browse, sip coffee and chat and maybe even meet new people. For such a benefit to our society to transition to "THE INTERNETS" is basically the continued decay of American society.

The more we sit in front of our pc's, laptops and smart phones, the more we decay and degrade. And the sad thing is that it seems too many Americans are ok with this trend. As if it's all inevitable and good. The truth is, it's neither.

2. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I think the nail to the coffin were the electronic books, like Kindle. This is more about the evolution of consumerism. The only reason someone pumps your gas in New Jersey is because its the law. Newspapers are of course on that list and if the post office doesn't change they will also become obsolete, tho the Gov. might prop them up for who knows how long.

3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The 2010's suck:D

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

All this talk by conservatives about how we have to "protect the Borders" was just a bunch of BS.

5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +273 / 3 / -3

Borders is gone but how many more coffee shops are there today versus 20 years ago?

I have a negative view of Borders that may be unfair, but my nearest store sucked. Horrible layout, not well maintained, bad employees. And they were just down the block from a great Barnes & Noble and 2 specialty book shops. I was glad to see that particular Borders go, because it was a waste of space imo.

I'm more unhappy about great independents going out of business than Borders -- we have Barnes & Noble to go with Amazon, I just hope more independents will now succeed with one bricks-and-mortar competitor out of the way. (There was a fantastic independent in Brentwood (near Santa Monica -- right near the OJ "incident") that shut down a few years ago that I still miss. Just a great store: great selection, very knowledgeable staff, quirky layout, etc.)

6. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -9

I'd say that's inevitable when your largest competitor is able to largely escape the burden of sales taxes.

7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Full retail on books and $4.00 coffee, no thanks to either Borders or Barnes & Noble. I'll stick with my Ipad and Dunkin' Donuts.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +418 / 12 / -26

Amazon seems to escape the wrath of the tax man...

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +570 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Yeah, but did they buy books?

The service at the Border's coffee shops was terrible here...compared to someplace like Starbucks or even Dunkin Donut's there wasn't even a comparison. Wasn't even in the same league.

Their book and bookish incidental prices were high, the lay-out sucked and the service wasn't all that great - at least not at any of the Borders I've been to - and I've been to them in several states.

I'm always surprised at you for complaining about Internet sales and things - don't you work from home yourself? I presume, if you do, that it's a good thing for you or you wouldn't do it - so why condemn anything else that operates via computer or anyone else who chooses to do anything from their home rather than leaving it to accomplish the same things?

10. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +273 / 3 / -3

But does have to deal with shipping costs and time?

I wouldn't call it inevitable. There are pros and cons to both business models.

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yeah, but I don't see the problem here. For years, doctors have been doing just fine without Borders, and they're pretty fart smellas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  12. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

And if you go to a Barnes & Noble, the first thing you see when you walk in is a kiosk for Kindles. Are they deliberately trying to put themselves out of business? I've tried to use one, but my brain won't let me do it.

13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I think they knew their model had to change. If you can't beat em, join em.

NOOK Books, Download Free NOOK Books, eReader - Barnes & Noble

14. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +244 / 5 / -4

#75 Jersey

That's because the aristocrats that really run things own lots of Amazon stock.

:rofl:

Wow. I can't say stuff like that with a straight face, even online.

15. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It's wierd how we continue to have an unwavering faith in technology, even up to the point of putting everything that's important to us in digital form. Is it now officially decided that there will never be another catastrophe that could wipe out communication and cultural sources? I have always been nervous about mp3 music, spell check, and now kindles. I'm not a luddite, but I don't like the idea of eliminating books and grammar. Can't debate it very well because it's just an uneasy feeling that I get just before something bad happens.

16. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,390 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

It saves trees.

Look, each generation laments the passing of their ways of life. I'm not diminishing the poignancy of it, it just is.

I'm sure way back in 15th century Gutenburg people were lamenting the end of the scribe occupation.

17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

There's something sad about the demise of bookstores, yet at the same time as we transition to electronic media, it means fewer trees will be cut down and less pollution. I haven't bought a Kindle or Nook yet, but I've heard from avid readers mostly positive reviews. The traditional book will continue to have a place, but a smaller and smaller place in our lives. In addition, I love browsing in bookstores much more than browsing on line. In a bookstore, the buyers have already taken a first cut from all the books out there. Online, one hardly knows where to begin when choosing a book.

18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So Amazon does to Borders what illegal immigrants do to American workers? Only, of course, with income taxes instead of sales taxes.

19. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

So you think Amazon should pay sales tax? Is that your point?

At any rate, I'd be curious to know where you got your stereotype from? A large number of illegals pay income taxes (many have legit jobs and taxes taken out), even the Social Security tax from which they will not benefit.

Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com
    Records Show More Illegal Immigrants Paying Taxes : NPR
    The Tax Foundation - Immigrants and Taxes

20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ignoring the fact that you're comparing a federal tax to a state tax, I do think Amazon should charge their customers sales tax for whatever state the sale is made in. I buy a lot of stuff online and it seems to me they usually charge me their local sales tax and yet for some reason Amazon doesn't.

Of course if that were actually the law, then they would probably relocate their entire operation to New Hampshire. (I honestly don't know where Amazon is located, although I think they have warehouses in different locations throughout the country but don't quote me on that).
    And a large number of them are "independent contractors" who receive strictly cash payments and Uncle Sam never sees a dime.