PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Encouraging words from Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like the guys with alot of obvious ability (big, fast, strong who show flashes of brilliance) but who do not seem to fulfill their potential are the most despised and controversial. Add being a 1st round pick to that mix and you get the vitriol saved for Maroney and Watson (and somehow Hobbs). Maybe that's natural. I guess that's why a seemingly blue collar guy like Morris gets a pass and Maroney gets dumped on.

I agree, but, a 1st round is expected to contribute more. They were drafted 1st for a reason. Cream of the crop. That or, the player has a huge upside.

I for one think Maroney is going to have a helluva 2009.

I'm all for this!

Are you really hanging your hat on 4.4 ypc as the ONLY defense for Maroney? That's pretty thin. Kevan Barlow averaged better than 4.4 ypc his first 3 years before fading into obscurity. How do we know that Maroney is not the next Barlow?

2001 4.1 ypc
2002 4.7 ypc
2003 5.1 ypc

3 year average 4.63 ypc

Kevan Barlow Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I'd love to be proven wrong and for Maroney's career trend to follow Robert Smith instead but right now he looks a lot more like the next Kevan Barlow. It is undoubtedly a PUT UP or get out of the league year for Maroney. PS if that rumored shoulder injury of Maroney's is chronic, he could soon have a sharp decline in production ability, much like Kevan Barlow for instance.

HOw do you take one sentence and determine it is first of a defense and secondly the ONLY defense.
Reading is fundamental, please follow along.
The poster mocked the 4.4 average. My comment was that it is foolish to consider it irrelevant.
By the way there is nothing sillier than finding players stats year by year and trying to use them to predict another totally different player.

I agree, but, a 1st round is expected to contribute more. They were drafted 1st for a reason. Cream of the crop. That or, the player has a huge upside.

So first round players aren't allowed to suffer injury?

I hold my employees to a standard of doing the job they are supposed to do,not expecting them to be beyond incredible but to do their job to the best of their ability and in return get paid as they should and for me to make money on the back end.

The same can be said for Maroney,If Maroney was my employee and he was of my best employees but he called off sick often or said he was not feeling well too often and not showing up for work on a regular basis,then I would can his ass,and I think its a definate possibility that if BB will to if gets fed up with another possible drab campaign should Maroney not live up to his word that he will be a difference maker this year - I hope he does because that means that the OL is doing a good job,but I am not going to Vegas to place a bet on it,thats for sure.

Are you comparing Maroney getting injured in a collision on the football field to a guy who stays home once a week with the sniffles?
Would you 'can his ass' if he were an employee who did a great job, and was in a tragic car accident and sustained serious injuries that caused him to be out of work for an extended time to recover? Is that his fault?
What in the world are you talking about with Maroney 'living up to his word that he will be a difference maker'? That is the most bizarre statement i have seen in a long time.

It is as if you feel Maroney can do whatever he wants on the football, but doesnt really want to do anything good, and now he promised that he is gonna try hard this year and you doubt him.

Prediction: Mr. Glass does not make it through this season(his last with NE) without being on the shelf once again.

Addai contributed to a team that won a SB by playing tremendous defense for 3 of thier 4 playoff games.
Maroney contributed to the highest scoring offense in NFL history that had a SB won until the defense allowed a game winning td drive.

Are you saying that Maroney is a wimp, or a ****y? That his is a malingerer who fakes injuires or refuses to play through them?
Why the anger? EVERYONE agrees that Maroney's play when he is on the field has been good. Your problem seems to be that you think he chooses to be injured or can control it at least. I dont get that.

Andy I am not saying Maroney is faking an injury or chooses to have one,Its simply the fact that some guys are more susceptible to injury and get on that IR or injury list too often to play with the big boys for a long time in a sport that is very physical.

It is what it is with Maroney,There have been some very good players as well as some mediocre ones who had to leave the league early or at least be bounced around team to team al their careers because they had a reputation of struggling to stay healthy and until proven otherwise Maroney fits that bill of being one of those unfortunate - Its not his fault but it is what it is

IF Maroney fails to produce in 2009 and gets cut next season I think it will become a situation of a guy that will be known as a journeyman who has been employed by 4 or more teams before he retires.

Everything is a big IF regarding LoMO - But like I said I would not go to Vegas and place a bet on Maroney being a major contributor to this years team - Too risky.

I don't hate or dislike Maroney as I don't know him personally,but I do think the team needs to get rid of a roster spot for another if a player who is currently occupying that spot is not producing enough yearly to earn it,I do know this ....its do or die for LoMo,BB won't sit long with players who are injury prone.

Last edited:
Andy I am not saying Maroney is faking an injury or chooses to have one,Its simply the fact that some guys are more susceptible to injury and get on that IR or injury list too often to play with the big boys for a long time in a sport that is very physical.

It is what it is with Maroney,There have been some very good players as well as some mediocre ones who had to leave the league early or at least be bounced around because they had a reputation of struggling to stay healthy and until proven otherwise Maroney fits that bill of being one of those unfortunate - Its not his fault but it is what it is

I don't hate or dislike Maroney as I don't know him personally,but I do think the team needs to get rid of a roster spot for another if a player who is currently occupying that spot is not producing enough yearly to earn it,I do know this ....its do or die for LoMo

Yes, that's why you called him "Maphony". :rolleyes:

By the way, in his two "healthy" seasons, he's rushed for 745 and 835 yards as part of a running back tandem while averaging over 4 yards per carry both seasons. The Patriots have held him to under 15 carries per game. As a rookie, he was part of a duo with a possible Hall Of Fame running back. In his sophomore season, the Patriots added Randy Moss and Wes Welker and became the #1 scoring offense in NFL history, with Brady and Moss setting records for touchdown passes and receptions. Last year he was injured enough that he couldn't even take contact and to IR'd. It may, or may not, have been the same problem he'd had earlier in his career.

Watching you spout off about Maroney while ignoring the realities of the situation is like watching DWToys with his Sanders tirades. There's just no reasoning behind the vitriol for that player, and he's on your favorite team.

Last edited:
Yes, that's why you called him "Maphony". :rolleyes:

By the way, in his two "healthy" seasons, he's rushed for 745 and 835 yards as part of a running back tandem while averaging over 4 yards per carry both seasons. The Patriots have held him to under 15 carries per game. As a rookie, he was part of a duo with a possible Hall Of Fame running back. In his sophomore season, the Patriots added Randy Moss and Wes Welker and became the #1 scoring offense in NFL history, with Brady and Moss setting records for touchdown passes and receptions. Last year he was injured enough that he couldn't even take contact and to IR'd. It may, or may not, have been the same problem he'd had earlier in his career.

Watching you spout off about Maroney while ignoring the realities of the situation is like watching DWToys with his Sanders tirades. There's just no reasoning behind the vitriol for that player, and he's on your favorite team.

Well if he continues to have what you say may have been the same injury or problem he had early in his career then maybe this injury will plague him his whole career and if thats the case then he won't help the team very much - He says he is healthy,we will see.

There are two types of Patriots fans regarding Maroney - Those that doubt and those that hope - So far in Patriots land I would say its about 50-50

Maroney is the type of back that could be used much better in the open field with short out passes,thats where he could help the team,he struggles trying to dodge and dance between the tackles way too often but when catching short passes he does produce at times -thats his strength and I hope plans for him are as such in 2009.

Last edited:
Maroney is the type of back that could be used much better in the open field with short out passes,thats where he could help the team,he struggles trying to dodge and dance between the tackles way too often but when catching short passes he does produce at times -thats his strength and I hope plans for him are as such in 2009.

I've always thought Maroney ran best behind a lead blocking FB or TE, whether thrown or handed the ball.

I could definatly see breakout years from watson, Maroney and Seymour-(not really a breakout year but a huge one)

I can't find the article... But, I recall reading that DeAngelo Williams thinks Maroney will have a breakout season like he'd last season. Or something like that...

I think your record player is stuck, hehe.

:lol2:

Good one.

Excuse me while I fix that record player.

Last edited:
I agree. That will be a bit of a problem this year since running backs will apparently be expected to run without a fullback leading the way, expect in goal-line situations.

I've always thought Maroney ran best behind a lead blocking FB or TE, whether thrown or handed the ball.

Are you guys arguing about that glass dude again? :D

Maroney is good when on the field. Maroney is good when he has the starting O-line in front of him. Maroney will someday make a great dance partner on tv. These are facts. Now, personally I think he'll have a dominate healthy year. Why? because so many people on this board hate the guy. You kind folks, are usually WRONG! ;)

Now, before anyone looks up my post history to find some dirt on me, let me say this. I DO think he needs to hit the hole better. I always feel like he hesitates a little. BUT, i'm not a RB coach, so i'll let Bill handle it.

Yeah, a bum shoulder doesn't make for a downhill running style. I do think Maroney's style is best with a little room to move.

I really think the acquisition of Fred Taylor is partially to school Maroney on hitting the hole and running in tight quarters.

Mo will never be Earl Campbell, but every RB has to be able to run it up the gut occasionally to keep the defense honest.

I remember Parcells saying he thought Curtis Martin's game would improve by running inside more, and he was right. And Martin doesn't pack the load Maroney does.

fred taylor was the same type of back that Maroney is a fast RB with some size and fred taylor had a lot of injurys just like Maroney but fred has something you cant teach vision as far as power runing taylor is not realy a power back but cory dillon was one of the best power back to play the game if Maroney did not pickup any thing from him hes not going to pickup anything from fred taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes