PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Encouraging words from Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it once and I will say it again,If Maroney were a Jet ect: we would be laughing at that particular team for taking a bust in round 1 of the 2006 draft,No one is kidding anyone here ... end of story.

Roght because we are all laughing at the Colts for drafting Addai who has done worse than Maroney, arent we. I think I saw, how many, zero, threads on that.
You can't even make up a statement that can't be immediately proven wrong.

I don't post much around here, but the Maroney bashing has always annoyed me. (Not saying it's anyone in this thread.)

As another commenter mentioned, it's a tough game. Yes, it's tough for everyone, but especially at the RB position you're going to have guys who get hurt more often.

Now the media and boards have lauded bringing in Fred Taylor this offseason; I agree with that praise. He's going to be an asset. However, wasn't Fred Taylor labeled "Fragile Fred" for a bulk of his career? People piled on him and the 'hating' seemed to snowball on the guy.

Well Maroney's never killed anyone, never assaulted his girl, never received a DUI, and has always been at the workout programs and mini-camps. Maybe instead of "killing the guy" we should cut him some slack. He's in the prime of his career for a RB and has more physical ability than any of the RBs on the roster. I'm encouraged by his attitude and hope for a good year from the guy.

You should post more often:rocker:

Plus I LOVE that he's got a chip on his shoulder; it always worked for Rodney:D

It doesn't take much for a player to acquire a rep or label,especially when the situation involves injuries or money. Part of that though, comes from some amazingly high standards set by some past and some present Patriots players when it comes to injuries and money. But RB's should get more slack when it comes to injuries,especially ones who aren't as experienced yet.

Some of the vets who play injured or too soon have the experience to read the field,anticipate what's coming, and therefore can maybe compensate a little bit for their physical problem.

He's got something to prove, I like that attitude :D

Last edited:
It seems like the guys with alot of obvious ability (big, fast, strong who show flashes of brilliance) but who do not seem to fulfill their potential are the most despised and controversial. Add being a 1st round pick to that mix and you get the vitriol saved for Maroney and Watson (and somehow Hobbs). Maybe that's natural. I guess that's why a seemingly blue collar guy like Morris gets a pass and Maroney gets dumped on. I for one think Maroney is going to have a helluva 2009.

(P.S. I am waiting for the 4.4. APC Maroney fan club to come bashing this response)

Since Dillon's big year, the Patriots have adopted a running back by committee approach. Thus, you can say good bye to 1200-1400 yard backs and realize that ypc is the stat to look at.

4.4 is a GREAT average. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Are you saying he stinks because he's not averaging 5+ per carry like Payton? God, I hope you don't hold every one of your employees up to the standard of the greatest of all time. You'll find yourself with no one left to work for you.

Roght because we are all laughing at the Colts for drafting Addai who has done worse than Maroney, arent we. I think I saw, how many, zero, threads on that.
You can't even make up a statement that can't be immediately proven wrong.

So you are saying that Addai didnt do anything in his rookie season to help put the Colts over the edge as champions? - Of course,the Maroney ball washers in here will say he was injured the last part of the year .... like he was in 2007 ... like he was in 2008 ... like he will probably be in 2009 ... can we go on?? :rolleyes:

This conversation is laughable at this time and will continue to be until he either shows a glimpse of being NFL capable on a regular basis and not just in a blue moon when he is rarily healthy or when his ass gets cut after the end of the season - One of two will happen.

Last edited:
I for one think Maroney is going to have a helluva 2009.

I hope so,he needs to in a Big way. He needs to stay healthy longer too,be able to play most of a season especially the playoffs. If he has a big year he's golden but if he doesn't, look out. Plus I wonder what BB would decide in that case?

This conversation is laughable at this time and will continue to be until he either shows a glimpse of being NFL capable on a regular basis

He's already done that.

Since Dillon's big year, the Patriots have adopted a running back by committee approach. Thus, you can say good bye to 1200-1400 yard backs and realize that ypc is the stat to look at.

4.4 is a GREAT average. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Are you saying he stinks because he's not averaging 5+ per carry like Payton? God, I hope you don't hold every one of your employees up to the standard of the greatest of all time. You'll find yourself with no one left to work for you.

I hold my employees to a standard of doing the job they are supposed to do,not expecting them to be beyond incredible but to do their job to the best of their ability and in return get paid as they should and for me to make money on the back end.

The same can be said for Maroney,If Maroney was my employee and he was of my best employees but he called off sick often or said he was not feeling well too often and not showing up for work on a regular basis,then I would can his ass,and I think its a definate possibility that if BB will to if gets fed up with another possible drab campaign should Maroney not live up to his word that he will be a difference maker this year - I hope he does because that means that the OL is doing a good job,but I am not going to Vegas to place a bet on it,thats for sure.

Honestly, if we win the Super Bowl against the Giants, Maroney is remembered as an integral part of a playoff run resulting in a 19-0 season. He had two very good games, when it mattered, against Jacksonville and San Diego in the playoffs:

vs. Jax: 22 carries, 122 yards, 1 TD

vs. SD: 25 carries, 122 yards, 1 TD

By the way, the Patriots official site lists 122 yards as the third most for a Patriots RB in a playoff game, behind only Curtis Martin and Corey Dillon.

Jax and SD were not exactly defensive pushovers either.

>>>right because averaging 4.4 per carry is irrelevant to how he has played right? Patsfaninpa has decreed that he dances and that overrides the actual results, doesnt it. Ignorant.

Are you really hanging your hat on 4.4 ypc as the ONLY defense for Maroney? That's pretty thin. Kevan Barlow averaged better than 4.4 ypc his first 3 years before fading into obscurity. How do we know that Maroney is not the next Barlow?

2001 4.1 ypc
2002 4.7 ypc
2003 5.1 ypc

3 year average 4.63 ypc

Kevan Barlow Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I'd love to be proven wrong and for Maroney's career trend to follow Robert Smith instead but right now he looks a lot more like the next Kevan Barlow. It is undoubtedly a PUT UP or get out of the league year for Maroney. PS if that rumored shoulder injury of Maroney's is chronic, he could soon have a sharp decline in production ability, much like Kevan Barlow for instance.

Last edited:
I hold my employees to a standard of doing the job they are supposed to do,not expecting them to be beyond incredible but to do their job to the best of their ability and in return get paid as they should and for me to make money on the back end.

The same can be said for Maroney,If Maroney was my employee and he was of my best employees but he called off sick often or said he was not feeling well too often and not showing up for work on a regular basis,then I would can his ass,and I think its a definate possibility that if BB will to if gets fed up with another possible drab campaign should Maroney not live up to his word that he will be a difference maker this year - I hope he does because that means that the OL is doing a good job,but I am not going to Vegas to place a bet on it,thats for sure.

Calling out sick and athletic injuries are not even close to being comparable.

He's already done that.

Seriously I can remember 2 decent games in his 3 years and Jacksonville and San Diego were two games where he played decent,The 2007 Miami game and the 2006 Cincinnati game were good too but those teams stunk top to bottom and simply horrible on defense so I don't put much into those 2 performances.

Is Maroney good enough to have a great game against a defense such as Pitt or Balt? - He is going to need to be if the team is to rely on him to help when they need him in games against these types of defenses - so far its a no go.

Seriously I can remember 2 decent games in his 3 years and Jacksonville and San Diego were two games where he played decent,The 2007 Miami game and the 2006 Cincinnati game were good too but those teams stunk top to bottom and simply horrible on defense so I don't put much into those 2 performances.

Third highest yard total ever, plus a 5 ypc average in both the Jax and SD. I would say that's better than "decent" :rolleyes:

Is Maroney good enough to have a great game against a defense such as Pitt or Balt?

Who is?

Calling out sick and athletic injuries are not even close to being comparable.

Calling out sick means someone has to be called in to do the job for that guy because he is not there to do it.

Being on the annual injury report means someone has to do the job for that guy because he is not there to do it.

Looking at it my way its not as different as you might think

Calling out sick means someone has to be called in to do the job for that guy because he is not there to do it.

Being on the annual injury report means someone has to do the job for that guy because he is not there to do it.

Right. Other than being about 99% different, they're almost the same.

Talk is just talk from maroney at this point imo, do your talking on the field and step your game up.

Yeah, it is. Calling out sick for most people means they could really make it in. They might not feel great, but for the most part it wouldn't effect their performance, they just feel they'd be better served not being there.

Injuries in football have a direct and powerful impact on a player's ability to perform. How do you know it wasn't BB's decision to keep him out, because 75% of Maroney isn't as good as 100% of the alternative? Injuries happen in football. And 99% of the time it's not the players fault.

Third highest yard total ever, plus a 5 ypc average in both the Jax and SD. I would say that's better than "decent" :rolleyes:

Who is?

Actually a player I can say who has been consistently good against the Steelers defense has been Fred Taylor,If we play Pitt in the playoffs this year I would hope Taylor can continue it even at his age

Last edited:
So you are saying that Addai didnt do anything in his rookie season to help put the Colts over the edge as champions? - Of course,the Maroney ball washers in here will say he was injured the last part of the year .... like he was in 2007 ... like he was in 2008 ... like he will probably be in 2009 ... can we go on?? :rolleyes:

This conversation is laughable at this time and will continue to be until he either shows a glimpse of being NFL capable on a regular basis and not just in a blue moon when he is rarily healthy or when his ass gets cut after the end of the season - One of two will happen.

Addai contributed to a team that won a SB by playing tremendous defense for 3 of thier 4 playoff games.
Maroney contributed to the highest scoring offense in NFL history that had a SB won until the defense allowed a game winning td drive.

Are you saying that Maroney is a wimp, or a ****y? That his is a malingerer who fakes injuires or refuses to play through them?
Why the anger? EVERYONE agrees that Maroney's play when he is on the field has been good. Your problem seems to be that you think he chooses to be injured or can control it at least. I dont get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back