Encouraging words about Jordan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
From Bucky Brooks Notes column in SI:

Another Patriots revival

After Randy Moss' rebirth last season, Lamont Jordan is hoping to be the next ex-Raiders veteran to resurrect his career in Foxborough.

"He landed in the perfect situation," said an NFC scout. "He will respond to their structured environment. Plus, he is going to play with a chip on his shoulder after being let go in Oakland."

Jordan showed flashes of becoming a premier back during his first season with the Raiders (1,025 rushing yards, 70 receptions and 11 touchdowns in 2005), but a spate of injuries limited his production and he eventually lost his starting job to Justin Fargas last season. With the team adding Darren McFadden during the draft, Jordan was deemed expendable and eventually was released by the team July 25.

There are several reasons to believe Jordan will experience a revival as a Patriot. First, the Patriots are masterful at signing veterans with a specific role in mind, and Jordan's multitude of skills makes him an ideal complement to their backfield. "He is the perfect fit," said an NFC scout. "He doesn't want to carry the load. He works best when he has 15 or so carries, and five or six receptions."

As a big runner with excellent power and toughness, he gives the Patriots another workhorse to use when Laurence Maroney is out of the lineup, and his ability to catch passes out of the backfield makes him an attractive option as a third-down back.

Furthermore, Jordan's final season in Oakland was not nearly as disappointing as it appeared on the surface. Jordan posted consecutive 100-yard games (159 rushing yards against the Broncos and 121 against the Browns) during the first month of the season, and was on his way to a third consecutive 100-yard game (15 carries for 74 yards in Week 4 against the Dolphins) before suffering an injury midway through the second quarter.

"He can still he play," said an AFC scout. "People forget that he was in the top five in rushing last season before his injury last season. The biggest question regarding him is whether he can stay healthy."

Seems like a great signing...what this will do is to have insurance if any of the RBs is hurt..which to me means that the running game will be front and center this year..AND will open up the passing game a lot more. Last year that really did not happen after Morris was out..it was more the pass...but I really think this year the team will grind out more yards on the ground..with 4 backs that will insure there are plenty of players that can do the job..There are many that are nicked banged up, but with the 4..it will almost insure that 3 will be ready and able to do the job...I think it's a great plan..

If they keep the 4 RBs as I expect them to, I'll be interested in seeing whether they actually run packages or situational substitutions for them, as opposed to just 1st and 2nd down vs. Faulk as a 3rd down back with substitutions for rest.

If they keep the 4 RBs as I expect them to, I'll be interested in seeing whether they actually run packages or situational substitutions for them, as opposed to just 1st and 2nd down vs. Faulk as a 3rd down back with substitutions for rest.
Jordan could be used on 3rd downs as well...And could they ever use 2 RBs?? That would be a big shift...a throw back to another era...one never knows what they have planned...

I would be shocked if Jordan doesn't make the team. I hope he does because the Pats would be pretty stocked at running back and still run the ball if someone goes down with an injury.

I would be shocked if Jordan doesn't make the team. I hope he does because the Pats would be pretty stocked at running back and still run the ball if someone goes down with an injury.
Not only the season ending injury..but if a back had minor dings..with 4 backs he could rest a week and not be playing and be recovering a lot quicker...in reality..all backs will be knicked up by the end of a sesaon..but with 4, it really insures that they will be a lot healthier at the end..Last year the running game really suffered after Morris went down..

The Patriots won't keep 4 RBs. They'll keep 5. DEFINITELY.

Split backs! Split Backs!

Now to get Brady and Jackson to hook up a BUNCH in TC.

I heard a rumor he has chronic back issues.

take that for what it's worth.

Split backs! Split Backs!

Now to get Brady and Jackson to hook up a BUNCH in TC.

What I would love for the offense to use is the inverted-T formation popularized by the Panthers and esp. the Packers: QB under Center, split FBs (Evans & Morris) behind him, and the RB (LaMa or Jordan or Faulk) behind them. The balanced formation could run in either direction, and play-action would be awesome. The only drawback would be only 2 receivers running deep patterns, but shorter routes would still be in play, drives would be sustained, the clock would be killed, the defense would be rested, and our QB would be kept upright.

We'll need 5 RBs to run the old 5 lineman-QB-5 RB set. The Inverted H.

We'll need 5 RBs to run the old 5 lineman-QB-5 RB set. The Inverted H.
Alas, you need seven on the LOS (tackles have to be covered), so one leg of the H will be longer than the other.

Alas, you need seven on the LOS (tackles have to be covered), so one leg of the H will be longer than the other.

OK, then put Morris and Jordan on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back