PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Emmanuel Sanders, WR, SMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Emmanuel Sanders | Southern Methodist, WR : 2010 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

I thought Sanders would have really elevated his stock with his combine performance: 40-yard dash (4.41), vertical jump (39.5), broad jump (10'6"), 3-cone drill (6.60), and the 20-yard shuttle (4.10) but it seems as though most "draft experts" are still projecting 4th to 5th Rd for this kid. (Sanders measured at 5'11" and weighed in at 186 at the combine.)

To me Sanders is going to be a very pleasant surprise in this years draft for whatever team selects him. I wouldn't be opposed to the Pats taking him at 53. What jumps out immediately when watching this kid, check him out on youtube, is his speed and elusiveness -- especially after he has the ball in his hands. He seems to have a good release off the line and good hands. Doesn't seem to be afraid of running inside routes. Works well over the middle, especially when he gets behind the linebackers, and in front of the safeties. Seems very decisive and doesn't round off his routes, very sharp plants/cuts. I didn't see much action of him blocking but I read he's a good blocker as well who is not afraid to throw his body around. Has good recognition of where he is on the field. Read he's an extremely hard worker and a quick google search shows the guy has a chiseled frame.

Also is a very good punt returner, who more often than not makes the first man miss.

Stats Overview Receiving Rushing Fumbles
YEAR REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2006 46 605 13.2 56 9 2 6 3.0 4 0 0 0
2007 74 889 12.0 54 9 6 28 4.7 8 0 0 0
2008 67 958 14.3 77 9 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
2009 98 1339 13.7 75 7 1 6 6.0 6 0 0 0

2009 Regular Season Game Log Receiving Rushing Fumbles

DATE OPP RESULT REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
9/5 Stephen F. Austin W 31-23 8 66 8.3 21 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
9/12 @UAB W 35-33 9 148 16.4 44 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
9/19 @Washington State L 30-27 18 178 9.9 45 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
10/3 @TCU L 39-14 8 74 9.3 34 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
10/10 East Carolina W 28-21 4 62 15.5 21 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
10/17 Navy L 38-35 6 53 8.8 17 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
10/24 @Houston L 38-15 6 47 7.8 17 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
10/31 @Tulsa W 27-13 5 79 15.8 35 0 1 6 6.0 6 0 0 0
11/7 Rice W 31-28 6 136 22.7 37 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
11/14 UTEP W 35-31 7 134 19.1 37 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
11/21 @Marshall L 34-31 8 94 11.8 43 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
11/28 Tulane W 26-21 6 144 24.0 75 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
2009 Postseason Game Log Receiving Rushing Fumbles

BOWL OPP RESULT REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
SHERATON HAWAII BOWL Nevada W 45-10 7 124 17.7 58 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

Has a lot of Steve Smith (Carolina), Deion Branch qualities.

Sanders does remind me a little bit of Branch, maybe a little stronger with a little less wiggle. Guys like Sanders, Blair White, and Scott Long all seem to fit the patriots mold of solid route runners with return experience, YAC ability, and good 20-yd shuttle times. Sanders can be had in the 3rd, White in the
4th, and Long in the 5th or 6th. White (who reminds me a lot of Jabar Gaffney) and Long are outside guys (which we need) while Sanders can be both a slot and outside WR. I know a lot of people are on the Demaryius Thomas and Damian Williams bandwagons, but I think getting a guy like Sanders, White, or Long later in the draft represents more value.

I know a lot of people are on the Demaryius Thomas and Damian Williams bandwagons, but I think getting a guy like Sanders, White, or Long later in the draft represents more value.
Completely agree.

Sanders does remind me a little bit of Branch

White (who reminds me a lot of Jabar Gaffney)

Totally agree, that's the exact comparisons I've had in mind for those two. Another WR I really like is Andre Roberts, who I can't come up with a good NFL counterpart for. Suggestions, anybody?

Edit: BTW, I was just reading a profile of White that compared him to...Wes Welker. (White is 6'2" 207 lbs.) Honestly, would it kill them to look past skin color just once in those comparisons?

Last edited:
Totally agree, that's the exact comparisons I've had in mind for those two. Another WR I really like is Andre Roberts, who I can't come up with a good NFL counterpart for. Suggestions, anybody?

Edit: BTW, I was just reading a profile of White that compared him to...Wes Welker. (White is 6'2" 207 lbs.) Honestly, would it kill them to look past skin color just once in those comparisons?

That's pretty sloppy scouting/thinking, I agree.

As for Roberts: Greg Jennings. They're both very good route runners who excel at getting in and out of their cuts at full speed. They're about the same body type, put up almost identical numbers in all the drills, and can be counted on as go-to playmakers. I love their good hands and surprising shiftiness after the catch. Watch some highlights side by side; it's uncanny how similar they are.

Or maybe I'm just trying to exorcise the ghost of Chad Jackson? :confused2:

That's pretty sloppy scouting/thinking, I agree.

As for Roberts: Greg Jennings. They're both very good route runners who excel at getting in and out of their cuts at full speed. They're about the same body type, put up almost identical numbers in all the drills, and can be counted on as go-to playmakers. I love their good hands and surprising shiftiness after the catch. Watch some highlights side by side; it's uncanny how similar they are.

Or maybe I'm just trying to exorcise the ghost of Chad Jackson? :confused2:

I know a lot in here are very high on Roberts. Admittedly I haven't done much research on the guy. But, if you say he compares to Greg Jennings, then SIGN ME UP! Jennings, as I've discussed ad nauseum was my biggest draft binky ever!

As for Roberts: Greg Jennings.

Now, that's just pandering! :p

Not a bad comparison at all. Roberts doesn't seem as polished a route runner as Jennings was, but given his reputation as a disciplined, hard-working, coachable type, NFL coaching could make a big difference there.

Last edited:

I think it's one of the ten commandments of football journalism or something. :rolleyes:

I think it's one of the ten commandments of football journalism or something. :rolleyes:

Oh...my...reading more on that same site I just learned that Eric Decker "has some Ed McCaffrey to his game." Ed McCaffrey !!! The dude retired 7 years ago, whatever do you suppose brought him to mind?

:violent:

Sanders does remind me a little bit of Branch, maybe a little stronger with a little less wiggle. Guys like Sanders, Blair White, and Scott Long all seem to fit the patriots mold of solid route runners with return experience, YAC ability, and good 20-yd shuttle times. Sanders can be had in the 3rd, White in the
4th, and Long in the 5th or 6th. White (who reminds me a lot of Jabar Gaffney) and Long are outside guys (which we need) while Sanders can be both a slot and outside WR. I know a lot of people are on the Demaryius Thomas and Damian Williams bandwagons, but I think getting a guy like Sanders, White, or Long later in the draft represents more value.

I am high on Sanders and I think he would be an excellent value in the 3rd/4th rounds.

Oh...my...reading more on that same site I just learned that Eric Decker "has some Ed McCaffrey to his game." Ed McCaffrey !!! The dude retired 7 years ago, whatever do you suppose brought him to mind?

:violent:

Must have been their weight. :p

I love Blair White, I hope the Patriots get a hold of 'em.

I like Sanders, check out his video from combine. He's much more impressive in the gauntlet than some of the other receivers I checked out (including Scott Long) because he actually runs and doesn't gear down to make the drill much easiers.

The reason Sanders is not projected to go higher: 5'11 186. That is really small for a starting NFL WR. He could play the slot for a lot of teams, but not many teams look to fill that role in round 2. I'd like to see the Pats take Sanders, but would prefer if they drafted someone to potentially line up outside (Benn, Thomas, Decker, are 3 of my favorites) before adding another smaller wideout.

Would it kill you to look up WHY they made the comparisons?

Welker: 3 Cone: 7.09 Shuttle:4.01

White: 3 Cone: 6.69 Shuttle: 4.03

White - High Motor, High Energy Player who is an adequate blocker.

If you read the two, you'd swear that they were talking about the same player.. That's why they make the comparisons.

I'd love it if the Pats added White in the later rounds because I think that he'd be able to exploit the middle of the field extremely well. Not to mention that he's actually faster then Welker, but with the same cutting ability..

If you read the two, you'd swear that they were talking about the same player.. That's why they make the comparisons.

Come on now. Almost a half second difference in the 3-Cone isn't similar. White is taller, broader, faster, and is well-regarded as a mid-round pick from a major program. He plays on the outside. The least they could have done was give me Kevin Walter or Wayne Chrebet.

He's also gritty, scrappy, has deceptive speed for a possession receiver, just loves the game, and will be a fan favorite for a guy who's athletically limited.

(I earned my media code-speak merit badge a couple of years ago.)

Last edited:

I'd love it if the Pats added White in the later rounds because I think that he'd be able to exploit the middle of the field extremely well. Not to mention that he's actually faster then Welker, but with the same cutting ability..

Seriously? A 6'2" 209 4.49 wideout is the spitting image of a 5'8" 195 4.65 slot receiver because they had the same shuttle time, "high motors" and were "adequate blockers"?

If you want some names of NFL receivers who actually resemble Blair White (and did as draft prospects, too), here are 3: Jabar Gaffney, Derek Hagan, and Brian Robiskie.

Last edited:
Mayock finally came around

That's an impressive leap -- I've typically seen him rated around #20 among receivers, which seems low. Definitely seems to be in the branch/brown mold size and style-wise. Appears to have some toughness to him and has that ability to, you know, catch the ball. Might be an interesting "reach" at 53, depending how the picks before him play out.

I saw that last night and I kinda threw up in my mouth a little (Please be quiet - edited) Mr. Mayock...:violent:

The depth in this draft including at TE and WR is why some of us are not the least enamored with any trade up or trade picks for...scenarios. Trade down, Bill. We need a couple of 3's and another 4 or two. Stick with the trenches early.

Trade down, Bill. We need a couple of 3's and another 4 or two. Stick with the trenches early.

This strikes me as a fairly likely and sensible way to go. Might leave a lot of us frustrated that we didn't get anyone Thursday -- and not knowing that until what, 9:30, 10 won't help -- not to mention all of Friday to gripe about it. But it seems like a good way to go if there aren't any clear-cut impact players at 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes