Welcome to PatsFans.com

Emmanuel Must Resign

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, May 28, 2010.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

We all knew this guy was a sleaze, didn't we?

And WTHell was Clinton thinking? Arrogant asses!

Obama needs to address this immediately and fire Rham now.

One of the jobs Clinton specifically discussed with Sestak was the president's intelligence advisory board. But a White House official said the plan always was for Sestak to remain in the House, and he couldn't have served in the House and on the president's intelligence advisory board.

The report also described the Clinton conversations as informal and not tied to any precise job offer since, as a former president, Clinton could not guarantee Sestak anything.

FOXNews.com - White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

2. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +922 / 6 / -9

Not going to happen.

Next!

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

This won't get traction outside of a couple of news agencies. If it does, then someone's head will roll.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

A somewhat different take, do not understand whether it violated the law or not.. this article says it was an unpaid position so he could retain his seat..

W.H.: Bill Clinton spoke to Joe Sestak on post - Josh Gerstein and Carol E. Lee - POLITICO.com

5. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

OK...it was unpaid and we're looking at a misdemeanor...OK...so why does the president put up with this little wolverine? This kid's a menace to the admin, IMO, and I get such an "icky" feeling when I hear him speak...the same way I felt when George Snuffelupagus or Karl Rove spoke. Just some real bad vibes from this weasle. He's going to do something really outrageous someday.

I think FOX will give this some traction but you all might be right...not enough. I just can't stand the creep.

6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If this was a Republican administration, it would be making headlines from coast to coast. I remember a couple years ago Bush fired some attorney, which he was 100% within his rights to do, and the media went ballistic.

But when Obama gives out completely improper handouts and bribes? Well, let's not talk about it too loudly!

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

One thing to consider, is whether Rahm was acting with the presidents permission, or even his outright orders. I have no clue who asked who, to do what. I'm merely presenting a possibility.

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have to respectfully disagree. As our friends on the left lectured us in the Vaughn Ward thread, a politician is 100% responsible for the actions of their staff, so whether or not Rahm had Obama's permission is irrelevant. Anything Rahm did is the direct responsibility of the President.

"Most liberals would see it as a matter of personal responsibility to assume responsibility for the mistakes one's staff makes." - Patters

Furthermore, as we learned in that exact same thread, anyone who has ever even endorsed Barack Obama has to take some responsibility for this action as well.

"And when does the person endorsing him have to accept responsibility for that endorsement? And make no mistake, Sarah DID endorse him....and campaign for him - more than once." - Mrs.BEnVA

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Works for me.

10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +472 / 13 / -14

From a political POV that was a great move. The story is dead the media will play along and no questions will be asked.

They found a guy who is comfortable with perjury to carry water, they offered a job can claim since it was a no pay no bribery, whether this is correct doesn't matter one whit. I assume Sestak will go along with the story and get funding from the Dem Sen Campaign committee, a legal bribe if you will. No one would be able to prove that Clinton, Barry and Sestak are lying EOS.

Guess Clinton had lunch with Obama yesterday so they could get their story straight.

Now that still leave the guy running for the Senate from Co who claimed he was offered a paying job head of USAID. My guess is that the press won't follow up

11. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

CNN is covering this as well as Fox. I don't think it's just going to go away. The more the WH stalls/hides/diverts, the worse it will be. The best thing for them is to head it off ASAP and make a move that will kill this where it stands. The longer this festers...

Rahm will take the fall. Obama will be left alone. That's the worst I see happening (or best as the case may be).

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

I would not be surprised if Emmanuel resigns, because I think he's been talking about resigning anyway sometime in the near future. That said, mediamatters, granted a liberal site, makes a strong case that no crime was a committed.

Media conservatives turn to discredited sources to push White House "bribery" falsehood | Media Matters for America

Bush ethics lawyer calls claim that a job offer is a bribe "difficult to support." In a post on the Legal Ethics Forum blog, former Bush administration chief ethics lawyer Richard Painter wrote: "The allegation that the job offer was somehow a 'bribe' in return for Sestak not running in the primary is difficult to support." ... Sestak thus should be commended for saying "no". The job offer, however, is hardly a "bribe" when it is one of two alternatives that are mutually exclusive.

13. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Question for anybody, left or right or other:

What is wrong with what they allegedly did -- aside from the possibility that it broke a law? (In other words, what is the rationale behind the law?)

And to make sure I'm not misunderstanding anything, my take on this is that the problem (allegedly?) is that they offered Sestak a job in the administration if he would not run for office.

And one more clarification, assumption, whatever -- I'm assuming that he is qualified for whatever post he may have been offered. (If he weren't qualified, I see a big problem with it.)

Thanks for any insights / opinions here

14. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Crime or no crime, it's still unethical and stinks to high heaven. Obama ran on ethics as one of his platforms of "change" but here we are with arrogant punks thinking they can do whatever they want, and if Obama doesn't want to be lumped in with his predecessors, he'll have to take Rahm out to the woodshed and then hand him his pink slip. It's about appearance at this level and I wouldn't be surprised to see a resignation before Obama has to off his best friend.

What a dick. Maybe that other POS Geitner will go with him. The stench from those two would knock over a bull.

15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

This is exactly how Watergate started out, slow, then it got bigger and bigger and finally Nixon flew off in his helicopter............

16. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It's a cousin to a bribe. It violates the separation of powers. It's OK in business, but not government. There's a difference.

17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I'm still not sure what, exactly, is wrong with it. Not disagreeing with you, necessarily, I'm just not seeing the problem.

Violates separation of powers? perhaps -- but if that's the case, wouldn't it also be a violation to name anybody serving in one branch to a position in another?

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

The people in question are using the promise of a government position, to help sway an election. They are trying to influence an election through the powers of the federal government.

19. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

After what the Shrub 'n Chief pulled this is small potatoes ...forget about it.

20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

don't they do that all the time?