PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Emergency Meeting of the NFL Rules Committee

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrellbee

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
In response to an angry urgent call from the Indianapolis Colts today, the NFL Rules Committe held an emergency meeting and, in a unanimous vote, the NFL Rules were amended to require that Quarterbacks are only allowed to be hit by one defensive player. Defensive players are required to stop and flip a coin to determine which player is to be the one allowed to apply the hit. The rule will be commonly referred to as the "Peyton Manning rule".

Link follows.

So is this the PMR #4 or #5? I've lost count.

arrellbee said:
In response to an angry urgent call from the Indianapolis Colts today, the NFL Rules Committe held an emergency meeting and, in a unanimous vote, the NFL Rules were amended to require that Quarterbacks are only allowed to be hit by one defensive player. Defensive players are required to stop and flip a coin to determine which player is to be the one allowed to apply the hit. The rule will be commonly referred to as the "Peyton Manning rule".

Link follows.

Are you complaining about the time that Peyton was broke in half and nearly had his head ripped off and no penalty was called?

We've got a qb we can't afford to lose either, but this suggested rule change is scary.

This has to be sarcastic right?

workhorse said:
Are you complaining about the time that Peyton was broke in half and nearly had his head ripped off and no penalty was called?

What penalty should have been called there?

BTW, is the hit up on YouTube somewhere?

Last edited:
Sorry, I am not the biggest P. Manning fan, but that hit needs and MUST be addressed! That was awful!!!!

I give him major props for getting up at that and having an amazing game - 4 TD's and over 300 yards!

Like I said, he is not my favorite player, but no one can deny his greatness. He does things as a QB that I have never seen (at least in the regular season).

workhorse said:

Geez the dolts get one play where they don't get a call and here we go:rolleyes:

That hit was nasty, no one is doubting that--however if i remember corectly PM was getting tackled about the same time as someone hit him high (with no knowledge of the other defender) It was a freak tackle that you don't see happen but once a season and we don't need more idiots getting on the refs for it. All this "rule emphesis" stuff is already making the refs worse this year....I'm glad PM is alright (just as i woiuld be if that was TB) however let's not get carried away....getting hit hard is not a penalty, please explain what they did wrong. and before you go the "he lost his helmet route" the DE tackled him correctly, however becuase PM couldn't go down normally (other defender there) his arms slid up PM and both of their momentums took the helmet off----he didn't do anything wrong. ugly yes, and i don't want to see it happen again to anyone, but we don't need another dolt ref spectacle

I basically just hate quarterbacks in general for being giant vajayjays. I
am not necessarily talking about hits like the one peyton took. Hits like that would be brutal for anyone. And I'm not at all against protecting a quarterback in the pocket because they are easily one of the most vulnerable players out there when they drop back. Has the protecting gotten a little out of hand? Probably. But what I'm talking about is when these quarterbacks cringe before getting hit down field. Ya I know they are supposed to protect themselves, but when they shy away from contact they end up putting themselves in more danger (see: Drew Bledsoe). That just annoys the hell out of me. You are the size of a freaking tight end. If you aren't gonna slide, don't cringe like a crying little girl. Make a little contact.

Sorry I guess that isn't really on topic, the thread just reminded me of it. And yes this is all from a guy who would be murdered if he ever stepped on an NFL field so take it for what you will.

More on topic, that was a pretty nasty hit, but I'm nat sure I could justify penalizing anyone for it. Sometimes people get to a player at the same time and bad things happen. It's part of the game. But Peyton gained several man points in my book yesterday. Good for him... that pickle smoking douche whistle...

sieglo said:
What penalty should have been called there?

BTW, is the hit up on YouTube somewhere?

Roughing. You can't touch a QB's head anymore, let alone try to rip it off.

mtbykr said:
Geez the dolts get one play where they don't get a call and here we go:rolleyes:

That hit was nasty, no one is doubting that--however if i remember corectly PM was getting tackled about the same time as someone hit him high (with no knowledge of the other defender) It was a freak tackle that you don't see happen but once a season and we don't need more idiots getting on the refs for it. All this "rule emphesis" stuff is already making the refs worse this year....I'm glad PM is alright (just as i woiuld be if that was TB) however let's not get carried away....getting hit hard is not a penalty, please explain what they did wrong. and before you go the "he lost his helmet route" the DE tackled him correctly, however becuase PM couldn't go down normally (other defender there) his arms slid up PM and both of their momentums took the helmet off----he didn't do anything wrong. ugly yes, and i don't want to see it happen again to anyone, but we don't need another dolt ref spectacle

I didn't start this thread, so don't go with the "here we go again" thing. The hit may have been legal, but the whole wrenching his helmet off wasn't. Watch the hit again. The defender has him by the head and doesn't let go. Everyone in the league knows by now that a quarterback's head is off limits. Early in the game Freeney was flaggd for roughing when he went airborne to sack Brunell and hit his facemask as he was coming down on him. If that play was roughing, then the hit on Peyton had to be as well.

workhorse said:

Not to be a smart ass but where was the penalty? One defender hit him in his thighs and another defender came in at his chest and as Peyton bent back the defender's arm continued forward and his forearm pushed Manning's helmet off.

So please explain to me what they should have called? It was a nasty hit and his body got bent like a pretzel but I don't see where the penalty was. You can't hit the QB in the head or below the knee and neither defender did.

duplicate post.

Last edited:
duplicate post.

Last edited:
workhorse said:
Roughing. You can't touch a QB's head anymore, let alone try to rip it off.

I didn't start this thread, so don't go with the "here we go again" thing. The hit may have been legal, but the whole wrenching his helmet off wasn't. Watch the hit again. The defender has him by the head and doesn't let go. Everyone in the league knows by now that a quarterback's head is off limits. Early in the game Freeney was flaggd for roughing when he went airborne to sack Brunell and hit his facemask as he was coming down on him. If that play was roughing, then the hit on Peyton had to be as well.

You are wrong about "wrenching his helmet off". The defenders forearm forced his helmet off and it was due to the defender's continued forward motion and (as the previos poster said) Peyton being unable to fall straight back because the other defender had him by his thighs. In no way can you call that an illegal hit. The Freeney call was correct, he leaped up thinking Brunell was going to throw the ball and when he came down his hand pulled Brunell's facemask down. At the very least it was a face mask. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes