PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ellis to the Raiders: Could this signal the Burgess Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone *choose* to go to the Raiders as a FA? That's just crazy. Ellis needs to get his head checked.

Money?

A three-year deal with a signing bonus is much better than unemployment.

Too bad. I was hoping Ellis would land here, in a rotation with Thomas-Woods-Crabel. Those four would have been pretty good.

No Jason Taylor.
No Greg Ellis.

Hmmph. Disappointed.

I agree that $3.5mm would strain the cap here.

Money?

A three-year deal with a signing bonus is much better than unemployment.

Too bad. I was hoping Ellis would land here, in a rotation with Thomas-Woods-Crabel. Those four would have been pretty good.

No Jason Taylor.
No Greg Ellis.

Hmmph. Disappointed.

I agree that $3.5mm would strain the cap here.

I'm not disappointed. BB's lack of interest speaks volumes of Greg Ellis. And Greg Ellis having to go to the Raiders to get employment speaks volumes of how he is regarded by the league as well.

As for Jason Taylor, that sonofagun never intended to go to NE anyways. I hope he's cut by the Dolphins after 2 games of preseason and never gets employment again!

I've watched Burgess throughout his career as a back up with the Eagles and a starter with the Raiders and he certainly can get after the QB. He had a great rookie year playing part time, then missed two seasons, signed with the Raiders and had career years. Burgess is a very good player, has very good pass rushing moves and power. However, I don't see the Pats giving up a anything higher than a late 3rd to 4th round pick because he is coming off of an injury. Also, his production has slipped in each of the last three season since his 16 sack campaign. Overall, I think he would be a great addition and an upgrade over Woods, Banta-Cain, Redd and Crable but I hope the Pats don't give up too much for him.

*Even with Ellis signing with the Raiders, I still don't see this trade happening.

Last edited:
I'm not disappointed. BB's lack of interest speaks volumes of Greg Ellis.

That's simply self-fulfilling.
If the Patriots don't sign him, he must not be good.
If the Patriots sign him, he must be good.

Recognize that Bill Belichick is the same guy who signed Duane Starks, Monty Beisel, Fernando Bryant, Victor Hobson, etc.
Bill Belichick is the same guy who let Asante Samuel go.
He made the decision that entering a season with Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel, the final year of Troy Brown, and Bam Childress at receiver made sense. And that a secondary with Ellis Hobbs, Deltha O'Neal, Terrence Wheatley, Lewis Sanders, and Jonathan Wilhite would be competitive.

Of course he signed Moss and Vrabel and Welker and all the other success stories. But the Patriots track record is not perfect. They have had weaknesses before going into a season.

OLB is still one.

Former Cowboys linebacker/defensive end Greg Ellis, whom some linked to the Patriots because: (1) he can play outside linebacker in the 3-4; and (2) he’s over 30, will sign with the Raiders, according to Calvin Watkins of FanHouse.

It’s a three-year deal, and it’ll be signed later today.

Ellis reportedly visited the Raiders on Friday, and he agreed to terms Sunday night.

We thought Ellis might land in Cincinnati, where former Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer now arranges the X’s.

Since the Raiders primarily run a 4-3 defense, Ellis likely will play defensive end exclusively — further greasing the skids of Derrick Burgess’ exit, possibly via trade to the Patriots.

After all, Burgess can play outside linebacker in the 3-4, and he’s over 30.

1. The argument above is flawed because it assumes without warrant that:
(A) Derrick Burgess would be effective in the 3-4.
(B) The Raiders are competently managed.
(C) The Patriots need another aging outside linebacker.
(D) Bill Belichick was not blowing smoke when he offered to trade for Burgess.
(E) All of the above.

That's simply self-fulfilling.
If the Patriots don't sign him, he must not be good.
If the Patriots sign him, he must be good.

Recognize that Bill Belichick is the same guy who signed Duane Starks, Monty Beisel, Fernando Bryant, Victor Hobson, etc.
Bill Belichick is the same guy who let Asante Samuel go.
He made the decision that entering a season with Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel, the final year of Troy Brown, and Bam Childress at receiver made sense. And that a secondary with Ellis Hobbs, Deltha O'Neal, Terrence Wheatley, Lewis Sanders, and Jonathan Wilhite would be competitive.

Of course he signed Moss and Vrabel and Welker and all the other success stories. But the Patriots track record is not perfect. They have had weaknesses before going into a season.

OLB is still one.

Unlike you I think the OLB and LB in general, is considerably better than it has been for several years. Time will tell.

Sometimes you have to make the most of the cards that are dealt to you. Belichick just doesn't have any more money now to add further to this team. Just like he was Capped strapped, in other years.

And please remember that Fernando Bryant whom he brought in and then cut, ended up playing a considerable amount for th World Champion Pitt Steelers, last season.:eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye