PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ellis Hobbs and USA Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you saw yesterday's USA Today. They had a piece on CBs for the draft, and then ran through last years draft. They review the draft and then have a paragraph on the GEM of the draft. Last year's GEM for CB was our very own Ellis Hobbs.

In Pioli and BB we trust, indeed!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting...only one gem...not others??

I must say, I was a little surprised when we drafted him... but it just proves the BB knows how to pick em. There were a lot of good CB rooks last year. Denver's Williams and Foxworth contributed as well.

Scott and BB often pick players that have been in a system similiar to theirs so the learning curve isn't as great and a rookie can contribute quicker. Not that Ellis isn't a gem...

he was a typical BB/Pioli pick as with Mankins and Kazcur... .hard working, smart, dedicated, tough, and has personal life in check.
as opposed to the big name pick up and release of last year David Terrel (who admittingly I was high on) who lacked all those qualities.

Keep em coming for this draft! was just listening to NFL radio and they were interviewing Ohio States HC who said that at least 5 or 6 Pats coaches have been there to look at different players and that Carpenter would be a great fit in NE (went on for a few minutes saying why). obviously a coach trying to sell his player, but interesting tidbit.

Here's how ESPN had them pre-draft:
http://espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/tracker/player?id=8153

Adam Jones
Antrel Rolle
Carlos Rogers
Fabian Washington
Marlin Jackson
Justin Miller
Brandon Browner
Eric Green
Corey Webster
Bryant McFadden
Antonio Perkins
Stanley Wilson
Domonique Foxworth
Darrent Williams
Scott Starks
Ronald Bartell Jr
Nick Collins
Ellis Hobbs

His marginal height, bulk and strength will always limit him in the NFL and there's a good chance that he never develops into anything :rofl: more than a sub-package slot cover corner at that level. However, he has the speed, quickness, athletic ability and ball :rofl:
skills to become a fine nickel and dime cover corner that also can contribute as a "gunner" on special teams

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots