PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eli's game-winning drive in SB42

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh and to throw the obvious out there, i would still trust a guy like brady to do more with less, but then we're also getting into comparisons where you've gotta recognize the greatness that brady has had in belichik
Eli Manning has proven he's a great Quarterback by winning two Superbowls. Once is a fluke twice is a trend. I'm not going to budge on that.

Last edited:
When it comes to head-to-head matchups you can't possibly deny that Eli>Brady and Coughlin>Belichick.

What an idiotic statement. Go away and stay there. Same goes for the OP.

Last edited:
go watch the final drive, because montana throws a pass right into the chest of a bengals LB and the bengals LB drops it.......luck is a big part of any sport.....believe that!
I'm glad you pointed that out about the IMperfect Montana. I don't recall it but I do believe it is very possible. The legacy can outstrip the reality, which is my problem with Eli.

I do believe in luck's legitimacy. Abso-effing-lootly. I would never doubt its value or existence, I do think it's part of the game, part of life, and I won't complain about it going against our team. But it's still important to assign proper cause to an action, and to me that SB42 drive was due to luck, not perfect execution. I'm not saying he did everything wrong but I am saying he never would have finished if luck had not intervened. And I'm speaking of the Samuel drop. Everything after that was just a continuation of the Twilight Zone.

When it comes to head-to-head matchups you can't possibly deny that Eli>Brady and Coughlin>Belichick.
I don't consider two games to be a mandate. Those games were last minute drive games. How could there possibly be a mandate from one vote elections? Besides that look at the way the Giants won those games. In one game Eli threw a pick to Samuel. Dropped by divine intervention. Then came Super Glue time. Divine intervention again.

In the second game the Giants fumbled four times and each bounced back to them one way or the other, only half a Gronk played, and Wes dropped a ball that he normally catches. Divine intervention all over the place.

They deserve the wins but not these conclusions that they are some superior team in head to head matchups.

I don't consider two games to be a mandate. Those games were last minute drive games. How could there possibly be a mandate from one vote elections? Besides that look at the way the Giants won those games. In one game Eli threw a pick to Samuel. Dropped by divine intervention. Then came Super Glue time. Divine intervention again.

In the second game the Giants fumbled four times and each bounced back to them one way or the other, only half a Gronk played, and Wes dropped a ball that he normally catches. Divine intervention all over the place.

They deserve the wins but not these conclusions that they are some superior team in head to head matchups.

I agree, it would be like us saying we owned the Raiders after the tuck rule game.

Look, you guys can hate on Eli all you want but the fact is he's going to the Hall of Fame (IIRC almost all QBs with multiple Super Bowl victories are in Canton) and will go down as one of the best clutch quarterbacks of all time.

Not only that, regardless of whether you think it's fair or not, while Eli will perhaps never be considered the greatest QB ever, he'll always be remembered as the guy that had Brady's number.

that's like saying that the Pats O>the Rams O in 2001. You are ignoring the elephant in the room which is that matchup wise, the Giants D was vastly superior to the Pats and is the most suited to deal with the Pats O in the entire league. Also despite this, had Gronk been healthy the Pats win.

Look, you guys can hate on Eli all you want but the fact is he's going to the Hall of Fame (IIRC almost all QBs with multiple Super Bowl victories are in Canton) and will go down as one of the best clutch quarterbacks of all time.

Not only that, regardless of whether you think it's fair or not, while Eli will perhaps never be considered the greatest QB ever, he'll always be remembered as the guy that had Brady's number.

Yeah, you're a Pats Fan alright. If you want to be taken seriously, then own up.
Playing like you're all fair and balanced isn't working. You can remember Eli that way if you want, but don't expect to get much agreement around these parts. Go over to the Jets board if you want high fives and fist bumps. All we're starting to hear from you is blah, blah, blah.

Ever hear of the ignore list?

I agree, it would be like us saying we owned the Raiders after the tuck rule game.

Exactly. It doesn't matter how you win. Its as long as you win. Whether the Pats own the Raiders or if the Giants own the Pats is irrelevent.

Pats won 3 SBs by a total of 9 points. A seldom used rule and hard work propelled them to a dynasty and they deserve it.

Eli's boys win two SBs by 7 points on two last minute drives, great bounces, sticky helmets and Asante's slippery hands.

Both teams deserved to be champions. They worked hard and executed when they absolutely had to. Thats all that matters.

Hate on Eli has nothing to do with it. Its looking at the entire body of work objectively.

With a few more good years Eli may very well be a HoF QB. There are worse QBs in the HoF for sure.

But have Brady's number? Upper-hand maybe as he's had a better defense and running game to work with. He does have two championships but not sure that he owns him. If TB had the ball for more than 22 minutes, Gronk plays, gets some help from Asante and Eli is in the grasp things may go much differently.

Last edited:
Hate on Eli has nothing to do with it. Its looking at the entire body of work objectively.

With a few more good years Eli may very well be a HoF QB. There are worse QBs in the HoF for sure.

But have Brady's number? Upper-hand maybe as he's had a better defense and running game to work with. He does have two championships but not sure that he owns him. If TB had the ball for more than 22 minutes, Gronk plays, gets some help from Asante and Eli is in the grasp things may go much differently.

Exactly. It doesn't matter how you win. Its as long as you win. Whether the Pats own the Raiders or if the Giants own the Pats is irrelevent.

Pats won 3 SBs by a total of 9 points. A seldom used rule and hard work propelled them to a dynasty and they deserve it.

Eli's boys win two SBs by 7 points on two last minute drives, great bounces, sticky helmets and Asante's slippery hands.

Both teams deserved to be champions. They worked hard and executed when they absolutely had to. Thats all that matters.

Both very valid statements. I certainly agree on both thoughts.

We all can laugh at the guy as long as we want, but he is one stone-cold QB. and thats what matters.

Last edited:
To say that Eli's sucess is attributed to being on the right side of luck is silly. Its ok to be bitter but look at the big picture.

Eli is not a statistically elite QB but hes had not one but TWO game winning championship drives.

Brady was not a statistically elite QB when he won 3 SBs and had two GW drives.

I couldn't care less about statically elite QBs. Lombardi's are all that matter. Big plays at the right time.

If my team was down 21-17 in the SB, I would feel pretty good with Eli as my QB over 28 other QBs.

Thats all that matters.

Please don't strawman. I never said his success is entirely due to luck, you can't even be an NFL QB never mind win the Super Bowl without being one of the top 32 in the entire world. All I'm saying is that there is a distinction between winning a Super Bowl through flawless execution, and winning a Super Bowl through good execution with some miraculous plays and fantastic defense. That's what separates elite QBs from good QBs who won Super Bowl(s).

And frankly btw, Super Bowls are not a particularly effective measure of QB talent. We can all agree Brady has been better in the last 5 years of his career than the first 5. Yet, he has won 0 SBs vs 3 SBs. If SBs are the key measure of QB talent, these two statements are mutually exclusive. However, we can see that they are not, and therefore can deduce that SB wins are not in fact the key measure of QB talent. And it makes sense, Brady didn't have a game-winning drive the last two Super Bowls because he didn't even have a chance to, how can we hold that against a quarterback? If we manage the clock so that Eli doesn't have a chance, is he suddenly a much worse, less clutch QB?

Last edited:
If TB had the ball for more than 22 minutes,

This.

This is due largely to the safety. First offensive play was galactically stupid. Putting the QB in the endzone against a top pass rush. Dumb.

Please don't strawman. I never said his success is entirely due to luck, you can't even be an NFL QB never mind win the Super Bowl without being one of the top 32 in the entire world. All I'm saying is that there is a distinction between winning a Super Bowl through flawless execution, and winning a Super Bowl through good execution with some miraculous plays and fantastic defense. That's what separates elite QBs from good QBs who won Super Bowl(s).

And frankly btw, Super Bowls are not a particularly effective measure of QB talent. We can all agree Brady has been better in the last 5 years of his career than the first 5. Yet, he has won 0 SBs vs 3 SBs. If SBs are the key measure of QB talent, these two statements are mutually exclusive. However, we can see that they are not, and therefore can deduce that SB wins are not in fact the key measure of QB talent. And it makes sense, Brady didn't have a game-winning drive the last two Super Bowls because he didn't even have a chance to, how can we hold that against a quarterback? If we manage the clock so that Eli doesn't have a chance, is he suddenly a much worse, less clutch QB?

You can't go back in time and change things. Just go by the facts. Eli won 2 Super Bowls with last minute drives. Eli had more 4th qtr comebacks last year then any other QB. Eli won in Lambeau and in Candlestick in the playoffs. He has the best ALL TIME playoff road winning record (5-1).

Eli is clutch no matter what anyone says. I'm not a Giants or Manning fan but to try and say he isn't a clutch QB is asinine.

I'm glad you pointed that out about the IMperfect Montana. I don't recall it but I do believe it is very possible. The legacy can outstrip the reality, which is my problem with Eli.

I do believe in luck's legitimacy. Abso-effing-lootly. I would never doubt its value or existence, I do think it's part of the game, part of life, and I won't complain about it going against our team. But it's still important to assign proper cause to an action, and to me that SB42 drive was due to luck, not perfect execution. I'm not saying he did everything wrong but I am saying he never would have finished if luck had not intervened. And I'm speaking of the Samuel drop. Everything after that was just a continuation of the Twilight Zone.

if not for a dropped td pass, even though the D was great to make him drop the td , we could be talking about how Flacco! won his first sb

you just never know in this sport

eli is a ****load better than flacco IMO, but i'm just saying, if not for the evans drop, they could very well be tied in superbowl wins right now

that's just how the ball bounces

There is no such fact in evidence. In fact just last week I read some HOF voters opining just the opposite. Eli is going to have to put up some numbers both i the regular season and post season before his rings alone get him into the hall. The hall is reserved for guys who were dominant among their peers for at least a period of time, and Eli hasn't proven he can be that guy yet. Yes he has two rings but in each case barely and due largely to the play of his defense and/or flukes including one in a million helmet catches and swallowed whistles. He doesn't have Brady's number, although the Giants D may well have this offense's or OLine's number and Eli may well have had this defenses number.

You can't go back in time and change things. Just go by the facts. Eli won 2 Super Bowls with last minute drives. Eli had more 4th qtr comebacks last year then any other QB. Eli won in Lambeau and in Candlestick in the playoffs. He has the best ALL TIME playoff road winning record (5-1).

Eli is clutch no matter what anyone says. I'm not a Giants or Manning fan but to try and say he isn't a clutch QB is asinine.

Super Bowl XLII Asante Samuel dropped interception. Buckner? - YouTube

I cannot call this clutch, I'm sorry.

And you want to talk about the 4th quarter last year? Sure, let's talk about it.

Giants vs 49ers
Down by 7 at the two minute warning. Completes it to make it second and 2 on the SF 10 yard line. Can't convert for the first, with two incomplete passes. Giants lose.

Giants vs Eagles
Down by 7 again, 1:25 remaining, first and ten on the Eagles 21 yard line. Sacked and Eli fumbles on first down. Giants lose.

Giants vs Seahawks
Down by 4, 1:25 remaining, first and 10 on the opponents ten. Eli throws a horrible pick 6 to cost them the game. Giants lose.

And you want to tell me that this Eli is some unbelievable elite clutch QB? I'm NOT BUYING IT.

Oh WOW, an Eli Gump SB 42 thread, AWESOME!!!:bricks::bricks::bricks:

Super Bowl XLII Asante Samuel dropped interception. Buckner? - YouTube

I cannot call this clutch, I'm sorry.

And you want to talk about the 4th quarter last year? Sure, let's talk about it.

Giants vs 49ers
Down by 7 at the two minute warning. Completes it to make it second and 2 on the SF 10 yard line. Can't convert for the first, with two incomplete passes. Giants lose.

Giants vs Eagles
Down by 7 again, 1:25 remaining, first and ten on the Eagles 21 yard line. Sacked and Eli fumbles on first down. Giants lose.

Giants vs Seahawks
Down by 4, 1:25 remaining, first and 10 on the opponents ten. Eli throws a horrible pick 6 to cost them the game. Giants lose.

And you want to tell me that this Eli is some unbelievable elite clutch QB? I'm NOT BUYING IT.
Seahawks vs New York Giants Victor Cruz interception touchdown Brandon Browner 94 yard - YouTube

that one where cruz drops the pass? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey