Welcome to PatsFans.com

Elgin and the last PS spot

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by thecrazyeye, Sep 5, 2007.

1. thecrazyeye

thecrazyeye Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

With Elgin signing onto the Jets' PS, do you think that mean we didn't offer him a spot on ours, or he chose the Jets over the Patriots?

Also, with him gone, what position will the last PS spot go to? I am thinking DB, maybe a hybrid player like C.J. Gaddis (who I don't think has signed anywhere yet), though I heard he was having trouble picking up the Eagles' D.

What you think about filling that last spot?
  2. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I do not think they offered him a spot...the first five were all cut by the Pats Saturday..Mays, Thomas, Childress, Jones, Oldenburg...and by Sunday nite all were on the squad..I think if Elgin was going to be signed it would have been done Sunday. I agree a DB seems likely...also possibly a DL
  3. Gunnails

Gunnails Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I doubt that BB and Mangini were fighting over him.

Elgin stands a lot better chance of making the active roster on the Jets then the Pats, I am sure Elgin is aware of that.
  4. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Stop and think for a moment folks: where would a C/G have the greatest opportunity to make a roster? The Jest were grumbling about their RG last season being the weakest link and he's still the man. They have a rookie LG converted from tackle. Now compare that to Mankins, Koppen, and Neal, backed by Hochstein and Yates...the Pats may or may not have made him an offer, based on the way he played in preseason and the opportunities he got, I'd say he likely did get an offer from the Pats, but chose a weaker O-line team for the opportunity to make a roster.
  5. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Maybe...but isn't it interesting that the Pats cuts that were signed to the Squad all signed Sunday; signed quickly. Maybe he had a choice...maybe not. Until there is more evidence, I will assume that he did not have the offer. Let's see...working with a choice you have worked with for months or a new situation totally?
  6. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +214 / 14 / -2

Choice or not, Elgin is better off on the Jets squad.
  7. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Was he not that impressive?

I never seen him play...
  8. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +542 / 6 / -0

I thought he looked great, but the top 4 interior line spots on the Pats are pretty well set while the Jets' guard situation is quite the opposite. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Elgin had the option and chose the NYJ practice squad.
  9. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That would really be a bummer if he turn's out to be the real deal for them...:mad:
  10. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

It's a bummer. :(
  11. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

wasn't he a 6th round draft pick? it's not like the pats scooped him up. 31 other teams had several opportunities to draft him.
  12. patsgo

patsgo Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

hes a 7th round draft choice that didnt make the club,and wasnt offered a practice spot, are you telling me that a under wieght o lineman is going to shop his services?your dreaming , if he was offered a contract with the pats he would of taken it , do you think the pats let their cuts think about it, you are brain of rocks
  13. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I don't know. After he cleared waivers, maybe his agent got a call from the Jets. They need guards desparately.

If I were Elgin, and the Pats and Jets both offered me a spot of their practice squads, I would definately pick the Jets.
  14. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It looks like the Pats are keeping the last PS spot open, for whatever position they think they'll need or if a promising player gets cut soon. Looking at the scheduling of the PS signings, I don't think they made an offer to Elgin, though all things being equal it would make a lot of sense for him to go to NY for more potential playing time.
  15. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Out of curiousity, I wonder how many players cut by teams other than the Pats that Mangini has signed or "taken a look at".