Welcome to PatsFans.com

Electoral College - Keep It or Scrap It?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Nov 6, 2012.

?

Electoral College

1. Keep it

58.3%
  2. Junk it

37.5%
  3. Don't Care

4.2%
  1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,985 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Keep or get rid of the electoral college?

I voted junk it ... I'd like my vote to count more.

I live in Rhode Island ... if I vote Dem it's a shoo in anyways.

If I go republican there's no chance that person will win.

I'm voting Jill Stein ... hope she gets enough to run again with financing in 2016.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

We need alternative voting.

Instantly solve tons of problems.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

We need to completely revamp the way we vote, not sure eliminating the electoral college is the answer. Needs to be consistent ways to register and a guarantee that those who want to vote have reasonable lines and minimal delays..

The efforts at voter suppression blow my mind.. that needs to be addressed.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

We need Voter ID laws too. Just as important as making sure people can register and vote, is ensuring that people who do so, are who we thought they were.

BTW, we're not a democracy. We're a constitutional republic.

5. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +394 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

The Founders were brilliant in devising this system. Just think of a populas state like CA voting overwhelmingly for a candidate because of self interest in the west coast and cancelling out the vote of several smaller states in different regions. We would have another sucessionist movement.

The system is fine the way it is. I don't like Ca with 54 EC votes but that is the system and the one that works best.

6. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +306 / 14 / -26

Yes, brilliant. Do you honestly think that one state could ransom all the others? Oh wait....Ohio....calling Ohio?

So now instead of a big state holding us hostage, a medium size state like Ohio matters and California is pretty much meaningless.

How many people in non-swing states don't vote because they know their candidate has no chance? I have voted since 1984 and only once has my choice for Presidential candidate won. That's 28 years...one winner. Why bother going to vote?
    But if my vote counted in a national tally, my vote would actually mean something and it would encourage me to vote. Now, I'm wondering why I bother.

7. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +306 / 14 / -26

So now "lines" are voter suppression......LMAO. I actually saw that mentioned on MSNBC by Rev. Al and laughed when I heard it.

So what's next.....inclement weather? Should we bring ballots to people's houses so they won't be "suppressed" by evil Republican raindrops.

BTW, the definition of suppress is as follows:

1. To put an end to forcibly; subdue.

suppress - definition of suppress by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Explain to me exactly how "long" lines and an ID requirement puts an "end" to voting....forcibly.

8. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 30 / -34

need some kind of factor reflecting the individuality of the states

while not perfect, the electoral college does provide states with meaning within the process

9. DocHoliday

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

4-9 hours lines have been documented. This is suppression

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

Even more in select areas that favor Democrats.. glad to see that they waited it out..

When efforts were made to extend the hours, Scott refused.. one might think that every effort would be made to make sure that voters had this opportunity..

11. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +306 / 14 / -26

What a joke....it's insulting to people who have actually been suppressed when long lines are even considered as "suppression". An absolute insult.

12. DocHoliday

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

Are you unemployed? Making someone who has to work for a living/attend classes wait 4+ hours to vote is suppression.

I know I don't have time to wait 4 hours to vote. Id be on my next task for the day after 1 or 2 hours.

2 hours is not just a 'long line'. Get real, especially if you are forced to stand for that amount of time, which some people are incapable of.

13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,985 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

As I have posted in the other thread ... the lines are mostly result of the referendum on the ballots. Areas where voters are not as educated are seeing longer vote times.

That's no excuse however ... if an election has a heavy amount of referendum then obviously there should be more machines to accommodate the increased and long questions.

I must admit ... i don't read them ... I just put the line for yes ... whatever ... usually they employ more people so it's needed for my state.

14. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +306 / 14 / -26

First off, if there were voting lines of 4-9 hours as "reported" than it would have had to have taken place during early voting. Soooooo...... they can vote another day if there are 9 hour lines (which I'm sure didn't actually exist).

That isn't "suppression". An example of suppression would be when guys with weapons stand in front of your polling place and threaten you if you try to vote.

What you're talking about is...inconvenience.

But that's what the progressives love to do...change the argument by changing the language:

Homosexual marriage........not anymore........marriage "equality"

Global warming.....oops, not so fast........"climate change"

Illegal Aliens......oh no....."undocumented workers".

Voter ID..........heck no......voter "suppression".

Same old pattern of the misuse of language to change the argument. Typical... and insulting to those who have actually been supppressed when trying to assert their rights.

15. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +394 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

I think that you miss the point. The EC was not devised because any state may be split evenly over 2 candidates and then be the deciding state in any one election. It was devised so one region could not dominate over regional interest.

I will again say it was brilliant. So many things the Founders came up with were brilliant, and I'm still in awe of how brilliant these people of 200+ years ago really were.

Now we can all point to things that, living in their times were wrong, but that is what the "more perfect" part of the Constitution is all about.

On a separate matter:

I see another thread getting hijacked- again.

16. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +306 / 14 / -26

Actually, you said "state"....but regardless, state or region you haven't addressed my point...how many people don't vote because they live in states that are never swing states?

Regional interest....do you mean the FL, VA, OH, WI, IA, CO, NV, NH region? I think they seem to be doing pretty well.

17. Lurks_All_Day

Lurks_All_Day Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Things change, Bro. It wasn't long ago that NH was solid blue, now... notsomuch. And Maine? Electors can now split, depending on the tally for each district. And, hell yeah! swing states matter...
    but every vote matters, don't ya see?
    Imagine Rhode Island determining the outcome. Not outside the realm of possibility. So don't complain.
    Never complain!

18. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +306 / 14 / -26

RI will never determine the outcome.....never.

19. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i say junk it

popular vote should be all you need

20. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 15 / -8

Oh, so people don't vote in the U.S.?

Will you ever stop with this tired old bumper sticker? It's meaningless. No democracy in the world uses direct plebiscite to decide every issue. They're all representative democracies.

Representative democracy IS a form of republic.

So unless your claim is that the emperor chooses the electors, and they then govern in Vienna subject to the emperor's approval (or somesuch,) I don't think this "it's not a democracy it's a republic" meme means anything.

I do think, however, that the National Popular Vote movement will get a big shot in the arm from a few red states that didn't get their way this time 'round, especially if the failed Rmoney campaign stays close, or <gasp> wins the popular vote.

PFnV