Welcome to PatsFans.com

Election year pander: Immunity for illegals

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 4 / -2

So, once these illegals are given immunity, will their relatives still be up for deportation, or will they by extention be granted amnesty too? I think we all know the answer to that.

Obama administration to offer immunity to up to 800,000 illegals

Published June 15, 2012

FoxNews.com

The Obama Administration will stop deporting and issue work permits to as many as 800,000 young illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children and have never committed a crime, Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano said Friday.

Napolitano said the change is needed to ensure enforcement resources are not expended on “low-priority cases” and are instead focused on people who “meet enforcement priorities.” But the move angered Republicans, who viewed it as an overreach by the administration on a matter that should be addressed legislatively.

“Today, I am announcing that effective immediately, young people brought to U.S. by no fault of their own and meet several criteria no longer are removed from country or entered into removal proceedings,” Napolitano said in a conference call with reporters.

Read more: Obama administration to offer immunity to up to 800,000 illegals | Fox News
  2. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

Speaking from a purely political perspective, this was undoubtedly a shrewd move.

Speaking from a substantive perspective, it strikes me as pragmatic. Most of these people are never going to be deported anyway, so it makes sense to facilitate them becoming productive members of society.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Productive Members Of Society= (taking jobs away from the black community who are legal citizens and have suffered years of discrimination)
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No no. To a liberal, Productive Members of Society = Future straightline democrat voters.

This move is nothing more than a left wing power grab at the expense of American citizens. :mad: :mad:
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +122 / 7 / -13

Well we now know the following, the move to support Gay marriage hurt Obama's numbers with the (largely Catholic) Hispanic population.

With unemployment among Americans 18-29 at >12% the last thing they need is to have to compete with illegal aliens for jobs.

So he throws young Americans under the bus to pander to Hispanic voters.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

7. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

Link please.

Also: If one of the GOP nuthuggers here could explain how this differs substantively from Rubio/Republican Dream-lite, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!
  8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +122 / 7 / -13

Just using common sense Jack. IOW offering an opinion based on this move at this time. He is legislating outside the legislative process that should control this behavior.

He is also announcing that his administration has decided to not enforce the law. We can imagine of a pub president decided not the enforce the laws permitting abortion for example... ;)

Rubio is proposing a new that can be debated as the legislative process described in the constitution dictates. Not announcing that existing laws aren't going to be enforced.

Obama is trying to play dictator.
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

So basically you made something up out of whole cloth without a shred of evidence to support it. Knock me over with a feather.

As for the law, it's still being enforced. There's nothing that says "x" number of deportees must be between the ages of 16-30 with a clean criminal record and have graduated high school, obtained a GED, or be an honorably discharged veteran. It's not even an EO; it's a discretionary directive to DHS to re-prioritize their enforcement and deportation policy.

Translation: this is essentially a facsimile of what Rubio is proposing. So not only are they stealing Rubio's thunder, but they're painting Romney and the entire Republican party into a tighter box on this issue.

Of course, the DREAM Act did pass the House in 2010 but failed in the Senate (despite 55 votes in favor) due to the unprecedented obstructionism of Republicans during Obama's tenure.

That all being said: Don't worry, you always have your white knight in racist Rep. Steve King, who has announced he's suing the administration to block this change.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +122 / 7 / -13

No I expressed an opinion based on the public facts. This is called thinking.

What Obama is doing is wrong and he knows it as a matter of fact here is a link where he says he can't just suspend parts of the law himself from March 2011.

Obama: I Can't Just Suspend Deportations Through Executive Order, There Are Laws on on the Books | The Weekly Standard

So you keep being a good little lamb and keep drinking the Kool Aid.
  11. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

This is what you wrote:

You're saying this is something we know, i.e. a statement of fact, not an opinion. Learn the difference.

I'm sure the president would prefer comprehensive reform, but he won't be getting that because anything he supports the Republicans will oppose. Every single time.

Who said the following?

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I disagree vehemently. Barack Hussein Streep Kardashian Clooney threw ALL Americans under the bus, not just young ones.
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +122 / 7 / -13

What Obama is doing is unconstitutional as he has said himself.

I haven't expressed an opinion on Rubio's legislation because it is not a topic of this thread.

Of course Obama didn't pass Immigration legislation when the dems had control of the House and Senate before the midterms.

Why not Jack?
  14. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

It certainly isn't, as I explained.

The fact that this is essentially a carbon copy of Rubio's plan isn't germane to this topic? Really? That's the cop out you're going to roll with?

You might try reading what people write. You'd see that I already addressed this very topic.

Cliffs notes: They did.
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +122 / 7 / -13

Jack gets dizzy from spinning like a top.
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

If I'm spinning, what do we call it when you make things up and refuse to answer simple questions? PF13 working as intended?
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +122 / 7 / -13

Having an opinion isn't making things up it is merely expressing an opinion, what a pathetic attempt at spin. One can have an opinion without referencing a source silly boy.

As to your falling into denial and inability to follow logic, well perhaps you are blinded by partisanship, I shouldn't waste time speculating on the reasons for your shortcomings.

Obama is acting outside the law bottom line to pander to a group you say he doesn't need any help with.

His administration did nothing when his party held both houses of congress.

We patiently await the dems election year call for a raise of the minimum wage.
  18. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

Maybe we should write this in Crayon so you can understand? Once again:

Actually, we don't know this at all, since you haven't provided any evidence to support an assertion pretty clearly phrased as a statement of fact.

But you know what, you're right. From now on, I'll just accord myself by the same standard. Did you know, in light of this announcement, the President has sewn up Nevada and Colorado? True story!

Oh yeah? Where did I say that?

:confused:

WTF are you talking about? As I already said, they PASSED the Dream Act. Only reason it isn't law today is because of the unprecedented GOP obstructionism under this president.
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

A horrible president, this Barack Hussein Obama, he was never cut out for this job, America elected a "Poster Boy" God help us if they do it again.
  20. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey