PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eight Quick Thoughts Heading into Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1. Here’s the really bad news, boys and girls. Because his employers for some strange reason like what he is doing (or are too feeble to understand what is actually happening), our close personal friend Roger is going to skate. Unless … unless the advertisers want him out. They pay the bills, they call the shots.

2. If I were NFL owner and a wanted a highly accomplished professional screw-up to mismanage my business in a very public fashion, I’d like to think I could find somebody to do it for less than $44 million a year. But that's just me.

3. It pains me to say that The Patriarch of the Football Family Kraft is starting to look like a bit befuddled wearing sneakers with his initials on them along with his snazzy blue suit. Next thing you know, he’ll be hiking his trousers up under his armpits, and we’ll be able to see his hairy white shinbones just above his argyle socks. The Patriarch’s scions must be living in mortal terror every day he goes out to play with his “special friend.” An untimely visit to a Las Vegas chapel or even a chance encounter with drive-by Justice of the Peace could inadvertently result in a very substantial haircut to the family fortune.

4. Speaking of the gambling capital of Nevada, one thing you’re not likely to see any time soon on an NFL broadcast is a “What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas” commercial, if only because we are now so very well aware that What Happens in Atlantic City most definitely does not stay in Atlantic City.

5. Nice job by the schedule makers having San Diego coming off a short week (the very late Monday night game to boot) playing the Seahawks after their 10 day layover. The PED Inhaling Steroid Monsters from Seattle need all the help they can get from the league office.

6. Is Steve Smith the one that got away? We know Belichick talked to Smith after his release. Smith would have looked pretty good in a Patriot uniform. Two games, 13 receptions, 189 yards and a touchdown so far in Baltimore.

7. Watching The House Organ (a.k.a. NFL Network) yesterday, I got a good look at Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, who is sporting an absolutely hellacious front-to-back comb-over that by all appearances is bulletproof and able to withstand hurricane force winds. Could it be made of titanium or some kind of space-age polymer? If someone could glue a face mask to it, you’d have a game ready helmet that would instantly solve the NFL's concussion problem. (By the way, Steve, we’re all still waiting for your public apology to Janay Parker Rice for your insensitive and abhorrent treatment of her.)

8. There’s more than the usual amount of dirt being thrown on what people are hoping is the grave of the New England Patriots, not to mention what’s left of the career of one Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. It will be very interesting to see what transpires in Minnesota this week.

Last edited:
7. Watching The House Organ (a.k.a. NFL Network) yesterday, I got a good look at Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, who is sporting an absolutely hellacious front-to-back comb-over that by all appearances is bulletproof and able to withstand hurricane force winds. Could it be made of titanium or some kind of space-age polymer? If someone could glue a face mask to it, you’d have a game ready helmet that would instantly solve the NFL's concussion problem. (By the way, Steve, we’re all still waiting for your public apology to Janay Parker Rice for your insensitive and abhorrent treatment of her.)
rumor has it they are clipping from mel kipers hair that have been reinforced with some type of carbon layering using nanotechnology. I'me sure it was very expensive, but you didn't like the results?
8. There’s more than the usual amount of dirt being thrown on what people are hoping is the grave of the New England Patriots, not to mention what’s left of the career of one Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. It will be very interesting to see what transpires in Minnesota this week.
Just wishful thinking. Dan Marino with high lightning release would have had trouble with only 1.5-2.25 seconds to get a ball out. Manning would have altered the fabric of time and would been ok, he's just that good.

If Brady and the New England "offense" want to shut up the nay-sayers, they could start by getting a few first downs. If they continue with their relentless string of 3 and outs, the defense has no prayer.

I'm beginning to think that they Pats offensive brain trust is afflicted by Jerry Jones disease -- memories of past success make them believe they are better than what they have actually shown on the field. Right now, just getting a first down before punting would be a major improvement. Might be time to go back to nickle and dime small ball?

Not in a panic over one week, but until they prove me wrong, I figure this team probably isn't good enough, right now, to go on the road and get a win. I'm expecting an 0-2 start to the season.

If Brady and the New England "offense" want to shut up the nay-sayers, they could start by getting a few first downs. If they continue with their relentless string of 3 and outs, the defense has no prayer.

I'm beginning to think that they Pats offensive brain trust is afflicted by Jerry Jones disease -- memories of past success make them believe they are better than what they have actually shown on the field. Right now, just getting a first down before punting would be a major improvement. Might be time to go back to nickle and dime small ball?

Not in a panic over one week, but until they prove me wrong, I figure this team probably isn't good enough, right now, to go on the road and get a win. I'm expecting an 0-2 start to the season.
The skill position and Tom are not the offensive problems, it's the oline.

I don't really know what the problem is. I just know that a decent NFL team should be able to get an occasional first down and score a few points in each half of football. I would suggest making those two things an immediate priority for the New England Patriots. Once, they have achieved that goal, try to build on it. A team with a HOF quarterback should not be getting shut out on the scoreboard and stringing together five 3 & out drives in a row.

I know that it's not ideal to resort to dink 'n dunk small ball, but if that's what it takes for Tom Brady to get a first down and give the defense a fighting chance, then go back to circa-2001 dink and dunk.

...6. Is Steve Smith the one that got away? We know Belichick talked to Smith after his release. Smith would have looked pretty good in a Patriot uniform. Two games, 13 receptions, 189 yards and a touchdown so far in Baltimore...

Who needs SSSr when we have Brandon LaFail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back