Welcome to PatsFans.com

Egyptian troops shoot at monks in Coptic Monastary

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Feb 25, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

The Ethnic cleansing of the Christians in Egypt begins.

Egyptian Armed Forces Fire At Christian Monasteries, 19 Injured

Wonder if the administration will decry the violence by the government against it's citizens. Probably not is my guess.
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -3

Does the administration always, or usually, condemn these kinds of actions?

As repugnant as they are, it seems like this happens throughout the world on a regular basis. I don't monitor the WH's statements but I'd be surprised if they comment on all of them. (Maybe they do, though.)
  3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

They did when the army threaten the MB demonstrators before Mubarick stepped down, remember? just a few weeks ago. They made some tepid statements about Ghaddafi attacking civilians.
  4. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -3

Yes -- did I say they don't ever comment? (answer: no)

I take it you don't know how regularly they do comment.
  5. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This makes me concerned as to which direction a post Mubarek Egypt is heading. I cant imagine this is a good indication of a future of peaceful democracy.
  6. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -3

Generally, no, this wouldn't seem to be a good sign...
  7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I want to see another source validate this story before i believe it. The home page seems to have quite a few christian persecution storys for me to take it at face value. Besides there is a lot going on right now with Lybia and domestic politics i wouldn't expect the administration in washington to comment on this situation if it really happened. I'm not sure these are American citizens.

The whole thing smells like one of 13's mis information stories.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

So strange i googled this story and there was not a single story corroborating this one. Its the only source, yes so strange. :rolleyes:
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

That is because this is happening all over the ME.

Copts gather in Tahrir to protest purported attack on monastery | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt

EGYPT Military uses force against Egypt?s Coptic monasteries, wounding many - Asia News

Egyptian Armed Forces Demolish Fences Guarding Coptic Monasteries | Australian Coptic Movement (ACM)

this one has video of the shooting.

Egyptian armed forces chanting "Allahu akbar" storm Christian monastery with tanks, open fire, injuring 19 - Jihad Watch
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

So naive? So cynical? Who knows.
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

We too have extremist right-wing elements that wanted to deport Muslims and one could imagine that these right-wingers, if our nation became lawless, would favor even worse extremes. Hopefully the religious right will not get control in Egypt. As we know from the USA, they are a danger to human rights for many groups, though hopefully as a matter of policy they would not go on shooting Coptic churches.
  12. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

13. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

But again why would obama or someone in his administration make a statement on this? These AREN'T American citizens and after reading another one of your links it sounded like small potatos compared with the rest of whats going on.
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

If you look at the Pugh poll and Zogby the MB and ISlamist are the mainstream in Egypt. Cad call Patters.

This is the policy of the people who will be in charge there and other places in the ME. Why did the left (Intl ANSWER for example) fall in with these folks?
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

It's a fight for freedom, pf13. The odds aren't that long that the Egyptian government will be better. There were many youth involved, the internet played a major role, and there's at least a chance that there will be a degree of liberalization that I think most Americans would embrace. I agree there's a risk of something even worse than Mubarak, but the people were angry enough to take that risk. We should be backing them.
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

Si if they pursue a policy of ethnic cleansing of christians and jews that will be better because it is freedom? Really Patters?

Now when the revolution happened in Russia China and Cuba the governments that were overthrown were awful however they were replaced by governments that were FAR FAR worse.
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

From your first cited article:

Around 2000 Copts gathered on Wednesday in Tahrir Square to protest reports that an Egyptian army unit had attacked the Monastery of Saint Pishoy in the Nitrian Desert earlier on Wednesday.

Protesters said that a military unit using armored vehicles had demolished newly-built fences surrounding the old Coptic monastery. They claimed that the soldiers fired live bullets at monks. They added that two had been injured and transferred to the Anglo-American hospital in Cairo.

Al-Masry Al-Youm failed to independently verify the reports about the injured monks.

From your second cited article:

Last Monday, the army issued an ultimatum to the monastery, demanding the wall be torn down within 48 hours; otherwise, it would act. The monastery did not heed the order.

After the attack, the military issued a statement on their Facebook page denying that it had attacked the monastery. Instead, it claimed that soldiers simply tore down a fence built on state land.

From your third cited article:

Egyptian armed forces this week demolished fences surrounding ancient Coptic monasteries

Look!! See!! Only the first article says that there were shots fired - and even hey are honest enough to admit there is no collaboration and the report has not been verified. (Which has not, however, stopped every right wing blog in town from picking it up and running with it.)

The second two articles say that the army tore down illegally built fences.

Which is, last time I checked, a little bit diffferent than shooting at people.

As to the video - well, as you've told us so many times in the past - videos lie.

There's nothing on that video that give a date or a time - and considering it comes from Jihad Watch - I'll wait for something a little more unbiased.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

Of course not, that would be absolutely awful. But, there's not an iota of evidence this is policy. The Egyptians right now have what you might call small government, so local governments and local military commanders have inordinate power. Imagine if we had a really weak federal government here that could not enforce the Constitution? What would happen in the deep south to gays, Muslims, illegal immigrants, and other minorities?

I think that's very debatable in all three cases, but it's really the subject for a different thread.
  19. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

13 its looks like you have a new set of parents, and at the rip old age of 59 or is it 60. You got owned by Mr and Mrs PFIV.
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

That's a very helpful and mature contribution by you, reflex.