PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

EEI reporting Vinateri wants 3.5 mill a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
huskeralk said:
I don't. If he signs here it will be for Longwell money. So what I'm trying to say is he's not signing with us.

That's fine, so over $1mm, the Patriots are gone to cut ties with the biggest clutch kicker in NFL history for some other team's castoff. Great strategy, Belichick. Wonder what Scott Sisson is doing nowadays.

Jacky Roberts said:
That's fine, so over $1mm, the Patriots are gone to cut ties with the biggest clutch kicker in NFL history for some other team's castoff. Great strategy, Belichick. Wonder what Scott Sisson is doing nowadays.

You can do quite a bit with $1 million. That's almost half of what we would need to have free for our upcoming draft picks. For $3.5 million, I not only would open the door, I would carry his bags to the car and drive him to the airport.

huskeralk said:
You can do quite a bit with $1 million. That's almost half of what we would need to have free for our upcoming draft picks. For $3.5 million, I not only would open the door, I would carry his bags to the car and drive him to the airport.

And then what? Sign a guy with half the talent for about the same money?

That worked great for Parcells last year. I hear Cortez is still available.

Give him a nice bonus, and sign him to a 7yr deal. By the midway point, it will be chump change.

tailgater said:
And then what? Sign a guy with half the talent for about the same money?

That worked great for Parcells last year. I hear Cortez is still available.

Give him a nice bonus, and sign him to a 7yr deal. By the midway point, it will be chump change.

I really don't care what we do. There has to be a line and I think under $3 million is a good line.

The Pats may go up some..but from 2Mil to 3.5Mil is almost double..NOT happening here..it is that simple. They might go 2. something..but I really doubt you will see 3 there...at least by this team.

tailgater said:
I hear Cortez is still available..
Sorry, the Colts signed him yesterday. My GAWD, doesn't anybody pay attention during free agency around here??

:bricks: :D

we all love Vinny but thats absurd cash for a kicker who I think is on the decline. I dont think he'll get that kinda loot from anyone. Thanks for everything thos and PS Nice shank against Denver Vinny!

Dagg said:
we all love Vinny but thats absurd cash for a kicker who I think is on the decline. I dont think he'll get that kinda loot from anyone. Thanks for everything thos and PS Nice shank against Denver Vinny!

In decline? Where'd that come from. He continues to improve his kickoffs (7th in the league - wonder how many ahead of him are dome kickers?) and is still an 80% + kicker. He'll be in the league for many years to come. He might even miss one once in awhile!

I don't think BB or Pioli are as indifferent as many here. While they don't like paying out top dollar for any position, sometimes you have to. What better position to do so with and not break the bank? Less than 3% of the cap for the best of the best?

Adam is a fantastic kicker, the clutchest in history, and has many good years left. 3 million is too much, though, and 3.5 is a joke.

tailgater said:
In decline? Where'd that come from. He continues to improve his kickoffs (7th in the league - wonder how many ahead of him are dome kickers?) and is still an 80% + kicker. He'll be in the league for many years to come. He might even miss one once in awhile!

I don't think BB or Pioli are as indifferent as many here. While they don't like paying out top dollar for any position, sometimes you have to. What better position to do so with and not break the bank? Less than 3% of the cap for the best of the best?

Not sure how you can say that Adam continues to improve his Kick-offs when his average actually dropped last year to 62.4 YPK, which is below his career average of 62.9 YPK. The ONLY way I can see you saying that he improved was if you are looking just at Touchbacks where Adam, for the 1st time in his career, got double digit touchbacks.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=3727

Lets take a look at Neil Rackers and Ryan Longwell.
Rackers
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=5198

Rackers has improved significantly since getting to Arizona. He's kicked over 20 TBs each of the last 2 years and he averages 68.7 YPK.

Ryan Longwell:
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=4080

Longwell is almost the spitting image of Vinatieri. Longwell gets 62.4 YPK and has a very low number of touchbacks.

Just for Reference I decided to look up Morten Andersen. His stats are VERY telling and He should honestly make the HOF before Adam does.

Morten Andersen
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=118&Submit=Go

From 1991 - 2000, Andersen only had 1 year he didn't kick more than 12 Touchbacks.

tailgater said:
If the ceiling for a kicker was established at 2.5MM last year (Adams franchise value), then, under the new CBA / cap, I don't see his demand as too excessive. With the cap increased by 20 - 25%, why accept the status quo untill he's forced to?

It's all a mindset. Teams are now throwing big money at safety when 3 years ago they did not. Same with Tight Ends. Now, only kickers, punters and long snappers are in the same ballpark.

All it will take is one team to break the ice and there goes the salary structure for any of these positions.

Regarding Longwell setting the market, I thought Jureviscios did that when he signed with the Browns (5yrs 25 M), yet then Randall El and Givens hit the mother-lode.

Adam is doing the right thing - establish his own benchmark, not let someone else do so.

Randall El will never see the big bucks from Snyder. See my other post about Snyder's methods to stay out of cap hell, and his phoney deals as revealed by the WaPo.

The real values for #2 WRs were Jurevicious and Finneran. The Titans are gambling that DG can step up to #1 WR status and have even protected themselves if he can't, because he won't collect all his dough unless he does...

It depends on how long he signs for and how much of that is guranteed.

Overpaying a kicker isn't the same as overpaying a QB where they might be a few million over market value each season if they don't perform.

I can stomach overpaying Adam V. by $500,000 for a short period of time - If it is effectively a 2 year deal I would be happy to (over)pay Adam for that length of time. I think Adam wants more security and guranteed money than that however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back