Welcome to PatsFans.com

Edwards out

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

It's too bad. Edwards ran the most ethical and honest campaign in the election. I know some people buy in to right-wing lies about trial lawyers and ambulance drivers, but regardless Edwards campaign was noble and brave. He ran strongly anti-corporate and talked openly about the need to help the poor, something that has not been done since Reagan showed everyone you could write off the needy as long as you take care of the middle class. It's too bad Edwards is out. He was a moral force in an election that has more than its share of strategists. Hopefully, the next president, a Democrat, will name him to the Supreme Court.

2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

He was the only honest Dem in the race. Oh well, time to go start a Draft Nader website.

3. Patters

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

God no! It's true he was the only honest one, but if the victories of Bush taught us anything, you don't need to be honest, smart, effective, or have a clean past to get elected. You just need a good campaign, and we need a Dem in the White House given our already despicable Supreme Court.

4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

We need Nader in the White House. A vote for Hillary/Obama is a vote for Bush you know...

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

:rofl: He was the most honest & ethical? :rofl:

[​IMG]

Partisans are too funny. They blast guys like Giuliani & Romney for being frauds, but they call their own fonies the most "honest & ethical" (and vice versa) :rofl: Edwards might be the biggest fony in the entire election. Two America's alright.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

Nader is a boring fool, and basically has been involved in mostly namby-pampy good government type issues, not issues that truly affect the poor, minorities, or other groups. Hillary and Obama are both quite liberal on social issues, and it's time we opened up the presidency to someone other than a white man. That will bode well for the future.

7. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? You've lost me Patters. I'm not gonna vote for another corporate candidate no matter what race or gender they are.

8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Bye, Johnny. We hardly knew ye.

//

9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Nader needs to run as 3rd Party. He could do it this time!

//

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

Don't you understand. Patters is going to vote for someone because of their gender, or race. Of course, then he's going to ridicule and label other people who do the same exact thing.

11. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well I guess that crosses Hillary off your list.

12. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Y'ALL BEEN ZAPPED!

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

Wildo, politics affects real people. The bottom line is that if Republicans get into the WH, the Supreme Court moves further to the right so that women's rights, gay rights, workers rights, and civil rights are eroded further; monies to help poor kids remain extremely tight; and there remains continued support for the right wing corporate world, namely the military industrial complex. The place to do battle and take principled stands, I think, is in battles for Congress. But, the presidency will always be a compromise position because of the nature of the electorate. I only see your point if you won't support the Democrat because you live in a state like MA, which will certainly vote Democratic anyway.

14. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah Edwards is not what I'd call a pinnacle of honesty either. One area where I would say he's ran an honest campaign though is that he didn't try to have his cake and eat it too. Look at someone like Hillary, she proposes billions of dollars worth of new programs, but gets very vague when discussing how to pay for them. Edwards believed in funding to help curb poverty and redistribution of wealth and was pretty straightforward about that. He didn't try and say we could help the poor at no cost as liberals sometimes try to do. So in that respect at least I thought the campaign was honest. Of course then we can talk about the possibly shady/illegal dealings with the 527 group and say that pretty much rules out the label of "honest" for Edwards, maybe "hypocrite" fits better.

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

You and silly Republican lines. The whole trial lawyer issue is a fraud. There are all sorts of good lawyers and bad lawyers. There are corporate lawyers who represent companies that pollute water and cause cancer, that create unsafe working conditions, and rip off retirees. But, you don't hear your kind of partisan criticizing them. You are such a partisan, but the funny thing is you really don't know it. Edwards ran a very ethical campaign, and his trial work was well within the law and served needy people.

What you don't understand is the only way to get monied institutions to change is to make them pay through the nose. You can't arrest a corporation and throw it jail, and most corporations would rather pay a $1 million legal bill than actually change. But, when corporations are forced to pay big sums, then they look in the mirror and clean up their act. Of course, there's no convincing right-wing patsies who've been sold a bill of goods and can't see the truth.

16. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He sure did, except for the illegal part of it.

17. Patters

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

I think you're missing the issue. The 527s weren't illegal. Edwards opposes them, but there were a few that backed him. He is not by law allowed to engage with them in any way. He called for them to stop running ads, he said he's opposed 527s, but he also said he cannot communicate with them directly because that would be a violation of the law. He's quite clear on this. This isn't the best, but it explains some of the issue to which you are referring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNrvTTmSWsg

18. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Well yes. I can afford to vote for who I want because I do not live in a swing state. If I did I would most certainly vote for the lesser of two evils.

19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Ralph Nader is a great American.
    You and your Democratik partisans think it's all about party and no longer about ideas. How sad. That POV represents the lowest common denominator and I understand you're not alone. No wonder we're so screwed. Fools think there's a difference between the two "parties" but there really isn't.

20. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Winner. The two party system is so firmly entrenched in the power structure. Patters is right in that there is generally a lesser of two evils when it comes to the Dems and Reps, but they both represent an extremely narrow range of ideas and rhetoric. They are largely from the same socio-economic clique which boasts the vast majority of CEO's and Politicians that are the power elite. However, if the choice is between a candidate that will most likely attack Iran, and one that will most likely not, I will vote for the latter if in a state where my vote can actually impact the election.