Welcome to PatsFans.com

Education Series MSNBC

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Sep 29, 2010.

1. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

Anyone catching this series on MSNBC? From the little I've seen, combined with my knowledge, I'd say that if the teachers were to dump the unions, we would be immensely better off. A young teacher today, was saying how more time is needed to help some students. Unions will not allow it. A commentator told a story of a union rep calling a teacher at home asking her if she was assigning home work (she was), he told her to stop as they do not do that at her school as time is not allowed to grade the papers.
    Locally, I was listening to someone mentioning how hot it was in the classroom during teacher parent conference. The school did not have the AC on (new school), because other schools in the district did not have AC (union). I recall some wicked school decisions based on union influence that have appeared in this forum, which has left me wondering why teachers don't dump their unions...........oh yea, they are afraid of losing their jobs.
    I'm not anti-union, I've taken the industrial relations and management courses, seen Norma Rae, etc. I just don't see atrocities taking place in a school work environment which calls for union representation. The vast majority of teachers are good, they do not have to hide behind unions. Time for teachers to decertify. Anyone oppose to that?
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -12

Will never happen they give way too much in campaign donation and have grest benefits as a result. The kids are irrelevant in this scheme.

I would go to vouchers and school choice myself.

It is surprising that this is getting attentions after all these years. This issue was brought up on Oprah's show also. There is a movie called "Waiting for Superman"

Waiting for 'Superman' (2010)

Hope the movie is successful.
  3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -22

OTOH know a lot of teachers, both first and second generation who give back much more than they receive.. the unions have a place, but everyone has a conscience it is your choice..

Unions will always be involved with public schools, if there was responsible management then there would be no need..

What people often forget is that it takes two sides to negotiate... but once again their will be some half azzed discussion about how much of a bully that the teachers unions(predominantly women) are...

I was involved with Public Unions my whole professional life, and no one ever said all that much if I gave back more... in fact it was supported.

BTW the discussion that Brian Williams had with Obama was excellent, saw it at the gym friday last.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +291 / 4 / -2

A school district has to employ the union. If not, no funds. Nice how that works.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +291 / 4 / -2

Remember all of this stuff when someone tries to tell you, that's it's all about the kids, or that the system needs more funding. Also, apply this same line of thinking, to all public employee unions. Be they police, fire, public transit, etc. The entire system needs to torn up, and restructured. The governor in Jersey is making this more of a public issue, than anyone ever has.

I once saw Stossel do a report on the teachers unions. He had footage of one of their rallies. Wow was that an angry bunch.
  7. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can you name one union that benifits the general public?
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"When school children start paying union dues, that 's when I'll start representing the interests of school children." - Albert Shanker, President United Federation of Teachers