PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Edit]HOF Reject/SB-Never-Was Cris Carter's Laughs at Pats Chances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Refresh my memory..but I can't ever recall Chris Carter playing in a championship game.
Whatever he says is irrelevent.

Refresh my memory..but I can't ever recall Chris Carter playing in a championship game.
i think his best is getting to the NFC championship game and losing.

And for whatever it's worth, the Giants going all the way in 2007 was more impressive than this year. Still, the biggest difference is our team (especially the defense) jas been improving every week since we got people back an healthy. Our offense is very dynamic and multi dimensional. If we can keep Brady upright and give him 3-4 seconds consistently, then that will be alot of stress o nthe giants LB and secondary which will be very favorable.

Carter is a perfect example of a stat sheet analyst. He isn't good enough to actually analyze games. So he looks at the stats and draw conclusions based on random stats. There are a lot of these guys out there which is why the Pats' defense has been much maligned this year.

These guys look at the stats and see the Pats give up a ton of yards and draw the conclusion that the Pats had a historically bad defense. What they don't get is much of the yards were by design in trying to eat up clock time with big leads.

A perfect example is the fact that the Saints' defense was never maligned anywhere near what the Pats' defense was. The fact of the matter is that if you watched the games, the Saints defense was actually significantly worse than the Pats. It wasn't until they turned Alex Smith into the second coming of Joe Montana that people realized how bad it was.

I agree.

Anyone here dismissing the Giants' accomplishments so far in the playoffs as anything less than or even equivalent to what the Pats have done so far is merely drunk on koolaid.

Until around 11:30 PM EST on 1/22/2012, they had the momentum advantage.

However, here is the possible difference maker:

The Pats have been consistent winners this season. The Giants have been uneven and have relied on streaks and momentum.

This is their first 2 week stoppage since they got hot.

The Pats have already digested a two week stoppage this month and came out firing on all cylinders the next game.

When the players actually give THEIR experiences of the Super Bowl, they tend to center on the TIME element (the 2 week layoff before the big game, the longer commercial breaks and halftime at the game, etc. that throw off rythm and momentum).

While this obviously wasn't the main factor in SB42 - - this time (as long as Tomase stays clear of Indianapolis) the Pats and their coaching staff won't have to deal with what became the main factor last time.

Momentum is what most Giants prognosticators are hanging their hats upon. There is no "momentum" with a two week layoff.

Some great points I have not considered...and God knows I hope you're spot-on!

...Beating the Packers in Lambeau in January, whether they were rusty or not, was a tremendous accomplishment. It signaled for me that the Giants have their full team in place, playing at a peak level...

:confused:

They beat a team that didn't show up for the game. It's the equivalent of the Ravens/Patriots playoff game in 2009.

Yards allowed per game in the playoffs:

NY: 321.0
NE: 325.0

Points allowed per game in the playoffs:

NY: 13.0
NE: 15.0

1st downs allowed per game in the playoffs:

NY: 18.0
NE: 17.0

I mean, the differences are so startling.....

Especially with sample sizes of 2 and 3 games.

Last edited:
If the Giants win the Super Bowl, their run of at Atlanta, at Green Bay, at SF and over New England on a neutral field has to be one of the greatest runs through the playoffs ever.

They beat Atlanta at home.

Chris Carter also picked the Colts 2 years ago and the Steelers last year. He's nothing if not consistent.

:confused:

They beat a team that didn't show up for the game. It's the equivalent of the Ravens/Patriots playoff game in 2009.

Like I said, that may be so, but the Patriots do not have a win of that caliber on their resume this year.

If you had to pick one win from this season, which Patriots' win would be the equivalent of (in your best Chris Berman voice) the Giants going into the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field to defeat the defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers?

Last edited:
This thread made me think back to the Patriots vs. Panthers superbowl a few years back. I remember thinking wow, we are going to tear the panthers a new one. Turns out it was a close game and we only won by 3 if I'm not mistaken. After that game, it just hit me like a ton of bricks, the superbowl is a totally different animal than any other football game. 2 weeks to prepare, all the media, all the hype, these are all factors that can change teams completely. With that said, I would also like to point out that "Vegas" knows exactly what they're doing. It's no accident that they picked New England. As for Chris Carter, I don't give a damn what he says, his GUESS is no more valid than yours or mine. You think these former players are really that smart? C'mon, they have prefernces and biases just like all of us and that's why there are very few analysts that are totally arbitrary.

Chris Carter also picked SF and Baltimore last week.

He's frigging Nostradamus

Like I said, that may be so, but the Patriots do not have a win of that caliber on their resume this year.

If you had to pick one win from this season, which Patriots' win would be the equivalent of (in your best Chris Berman voice) the Giants going into the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field to defeat the defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers?

You're mentioning the Packers as if it's meaningful. It's not. The Packers didn't show up. Of the last 5 wins for the Giants, the one against the Packers, along with the one against the no-show Falcons, is probably the least impressive.

Last edited:
Carter is a perfect example of a stat sheet analyst. He isn't good enough to actually analyze games. So he looks at the stats and draw conclusions based on random stats. There are a lot of these guys out there which is why the Pats' defense has been much maligned this year.

These guys look at the stats and see the Pats give up a ton of yards and draw the conclusion that the Pats had a historically bad defense. What they don't get is much of the yards were by design in trying to eat up clock time with big leads.

A perfect example is the fact that the Saints' defense was never maligned anywhere near what the Pats' defense was. The fact of the matter is that if you watched the games, the Saints defense was actually significantly worse than the Pats. It wasn't until they turned Alex Smith into the second coming of Joe Montana that people realized how bad it was.

Someone mentioned earlier in this very thread that he or she felt that Jaws was the most even keeled of all of the analysts on the ESPN network, and I think that it may because he does exactly the opposite of what you describe (which I agree with) in your post. Jaws actually does look at game film and breaks things down. He predicted that Flacco would play well against the Patriots, but his analysis had nothing to do with statistics. He went back and actually graded Flacco's performance against Houston and drew the conclusion that it actually wasn't a bad performance at all (contrary to the stats). ESPN needs more analysts like Jaws. I wonder what effect that would have on ratings, though.

You're mentioning the Packers as if it's meaningful. It's not. The Packers didn't show up. Of the last 5 wins for the Giants, the one against the Packers, along with the one against the no-show Falcons, is probably the least impressive.

"They didn't show up" is the biggest cop-out ever.

They were present. They were 15-1. It was at their home field. It was the playoffs.

Some guy sitting in a couch types in "they didn't show up" as if it were some kind of indelible fact.

Perhaps the Patriots should just give the SB 36 trophy back because the St Louis Rams "didn't show up".

I seriously think you don't believe half the drivel you post.

Last edited:

They were present. They were 15-1. It was at their home field. It was the playoffs.

Some guy sitting in a couch types in "they didn't show up" as if it were some kind of indelible fact.

Perhaps the Patriots should just give the SB 36 trophy back because the St Louis Rams "didn't show up".

It's not a cop out, at all.

But, then again, you already know that.

shmessy

"Didn't show up" means a lack of execution and mental preparation.

How does any NFL team ever give up a Hail Mary?

Yet a 15-1 defending champion at home does it?

On opening drive, how does an unmolested Aaron Rogers miss a WIDE open Jennings so badly? Were any Giants defenders on the same side of the field? In Wisconsin? In this hemisphere?

Kuhn never fumbled.....until a handoff in the playoffs?

The Packers were not bad, they were absolutely horrific.

Maybe it was Jedi mind tricks.

NFC championship in 1998 and 2000 seasons. Lost both times.

If you'll also recall, Cris Carter came out of "retirement" in 2002 to join the Miami Dolphins late when they were leading the AFC East. Dolphins lost the final two weeks of the season to the Vikings and... get this... the Patriots.

Things that make you go hmmm.....

NFC championship in 1998 and 2000 seasons. Lost both times.

If you'll also recall, Cris Carter came out of "retirement" in 2002 to join the Miami Dolphins late when they were leading the AFC East. Dolphins lost the final two weeks of the season to the Vikings and... get this... the Patriots.

Things that make you go hmmm.....[/QUOTE

what a sore loser, he then goes into "sports journalism" and hates the team that beat him.

what a waste of talent....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back