PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edgerrin James-Maybe the most overrated RB in history

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Well it took a trade for people to realize that Edgerrin James is the most overrated RB probably in NFL history..He rode the coattails of the Indy O-Line to get through big gaps they produced for him so often --no such thing now in Arizona-He has ZERO 100 yard games this year...Goes to show you its not exactly always how talented you are,its how your talent fits and is used on the team - Deion Branch & David Givens will be finding that out soon enough -It's Just like putting Peyton Manning behind Miami's front line and see him run for his life,even if Harrison and Wayne were on that team,his stats would drop quicker than the speed of light-When you play RB or QB its those 'no-name guys' on the o-line that count much more so than what people realize....I am so glad we have the awesome line we have protecting Brady's back (despite a few hurries and blind side hit fumbles here and there) . .Betcha Reggie Bush wishes he was behind our line instead of N.O. right now,he's getting swallowed up so far.

PATRIOT64 said:
Well it took a trade for people to realize that Edgerrin James is the most overrated RB probably in NFL history..He rode the coattails of the Indy O-Line to get through big gaps they produced for him so often --no such thing now in Arizona-He has ZERO 100 yard games this year...Goes to show you its not exactly always how talented you are,its how your talent fits and is used on the team - Deion Branch & David Givens will be finding that out soon enough -It's Just like putting Peyton Manning behind Miami's front line and see him run for his life,even if Harrison and Wayne were on that team,his stats would drop quicker than the speed of light-When you play RB or QB its those 'no-name guys' on the o-line that count much more so than what people realize....I am so glad we have the awesome line we have protecting Brady's back (despite a few hurries and blind side hit fumbles here and there) . .Betcha Reggie Bush wishes he was behind our line instead of N.O. right now,he's getting swallowed up so far.

I think you are going off the deep end a bit. I agree that you must have a good line up front, but Edge is by no means the most overrated in history. That line in Arizona is awful. You put any back behind that line and they would struggle.

PATRIOT64 said:

Wow. Talk about going off the deep end.. have you watched Warner drop the ball and the OL not open a single hole.. I recall the # 1 all time NFL rusher having issues running behind their line..
Edge is a top back.. The problem is he has no one helping him out. Look at the colts without him. They can't rush the ball at all.. So your agrument holds no credit.. Sorry, but Edge is great back.> he catches, blocks and runs....

Last edited:
Edge is easily one of the best all-around running backs in the league. He is a great player, IMO. He is a great runner with patience and vision, and when he makes his cut he is tough to tackle. He slides off arm tackles and gets a lot of yards after contract. He catches the ball very well, and is great at blitz pickup.

He just has no room to run in Arizona. Their OL isn't getting the job done.

okay then i guess Dillon was the most overrated aswell..wtf did he do last year with few injuries on the line and hmself?

LT didnt do aswell with a bad OL..his YPC average was low

a RB cant run without at least some running room..you cant expect him to go against 7 guys constantly in your face.

He plays behind the worst offensive line in football and they are getting terrible QB play. It would take a miracle to get 100 yds in Arizona right now.

Once Leinart gets his feet wet and starts playing decent football, James will start putting up improved numbers but with that OL, he isn't going to have a huge year.

workhorse said:
I think you are going off the deep end a bit. I agree that you must have a good line up front, but Edge is by no means the most overrated in history. That line in Arizona is awful. You put any back behind that line and they would struggle.

Sorry but I agree with this Colt troll.

The main reason he doesn't have a 100 yard game is because the Cards are always playing from behind.

PATRIOT64 said:
WHAT TRADE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

I have to somewhat agree. Edge is a very good back, but he is a jack of all trades, master of none. He's not particularly fast, or strong, or shifty. I think he is still a good back but his numbers were inflated by an Indy system with a good offensive line, very good receivers, and good, big number QB. He never had to deal with teams even remotely jamming the line of scrimmage. The Indy offense is a speed and attack offense which spreads the field making it easier for runners. I still think James is better than the backs Indy has now but I don't think he can be considered in the elite class of runningbacks in history like Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, and Eric ****erson.

it amazes me how many coaches don't seem to understand that the majority of yards produced by an rb is due to the OL

Phokus said:
it amazes me how many coaches don't seem to understand that the majority of yards produced by an rb is due to the OL

it amazes me even more that the poster of this thread has no clue about what he is talking about. Edge was never traded. The league has this thing called free agency. Look it up. As far as calling Edge the most over rated, buddy go back to fantasy football. Get a NFL clue before you post this trash.

zoostation said:

The main reason he doesn't have a 100 yard game is because the Cards are always playing from behind.

I agree as well but workhorse isnt a troll. Actually has many good posts, atleast from what i have seen.

The arizon line is terrible. They went out and got all these offensive player and they drafted offensive players, they forgot to put together a good line.

If Indy could add Edge now, they would be the heavy favorite to win the AFC (and we would still beat them). Edge is a fine runner.

Edge is a great back and I'd want him on my team any day.

What's sad is that you can't see that he's in the same position Brady is. Brady has struggled this year and we've been excusing it because he lost his receivers and even the best quarterback needs to adjust to his new guys blah blah blah. Well, James is being limited by an offensive lione that 1) sucks, and 2) he doesn't have much experience with.

If anything, the Colts underutilized James. How many Pats-Colts games have you watched where you were praying Dungy wouldn't figure out that they don't have to pass on at least 2/3 of all downs?

workhorse said:

I think James has a lot of miles on his tires as well, which is one reason the Colts couldn't/wouldn't overpay for his services. But the Indy o-line definately helped him, as a good o-line would help nearly any RB - and I have a feeling that the AZ OL, as bad as they are, is more concerned about trying to get better at QB protection than they are about the running game.

Just shows that its a team effort that always makes the real difference

zoostation said:

You may be correct in agreeing with me, but you are incorrect in calling me a troll.

Edit:
desi-patsfan said:
I agree as well but workhorse isnt a troll. Actually has many good posts, atleast from what i have seen.

Thank you. I hadn't seen your post before I replied.

Last edited:
NEM said:
Kurt Warner has been pummelled and has fumbled on numerous occasions because of lack of protection.

But.. isn't that the same thing that 'happened to' Warner in NY and St. Louis?? lol :rofl:

Everyone is neglecting to mention another VERY large factor in the success of any RB. When a team has a passing attack that demands constant defense to try to contain it, that necessarily takes away from heavy defensive front effort to stop the run. The Colts offense was about as perfect for James as any offense could be, obviously. You can't take that away from James - he was one of the truly top backs in the league given that offense and his performance in a different offense doesn't change that. It would have been terribly naive to think that his particular capability would translate into an offense where he had to get physical yards against defenses that were in a position to play against the run - but then the Cardinals have shown that they are that kind of naive. Count me as one who thinks that Leinart is not going to be that good of an NFL QB. So James is likely to just go thru the motions and just clip his coupons.

arrellbee said:
Everyone is neglecting to mention another VERY large factor in the success of any RB. When a team has a passing attack that demands constant defense to try to contain it, that necessarily takes away from heavy defensive front effort to stop the run. The Colts offense was about as perfect for James as any offense could be, obviously. You can't take that away from James - he was one of the truly top backs in the league given that offense and his performance in a different offense doesn't change that. It would have been terribly naive to think that his particular capability would translate into an offense where he had to get physical yards against defenses that were in a position to play against the run - but then the Cardinals have shown that they are that kind of naive. Count me as one who thinks that Leinart is not going to be that good of an NFL QB. So James is likely to just go thru the motions and just clip his coupons.

The Cardinals have two pretty good receivers that you might have heard of--Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. Both are Pro Bowlers and definitely have to be accounted for. I'm not a Warner lover at all but if you give the guy time he can complete some throws, and these guys are usually open.

I think Edge is a very good player, and he's a lot better than he has been showing in Arizona, but I don't think he's a top five back in the league. Elite backs can get yards even with bad offensive lines and QB's. Barry Sanders and Walter Peyton did it. James can be very productive but he needs more support form the offensive line, quarterback, and wide receivers.

By the way I wouldn't want James on my team. He has publicly said he does not like getting hit, which makes me question his toughness and drive. I want a RB that will initiate contact not shy away from it.

No one could run behind that Arizona line. Edge is a quality back, he runs well, catches out of the backfield, throws blocks better than most backs in the league, but all RBs need their line to block for them. Look at Reggie Bush, he can't cut back at all because New Orleans' line can't block for him, his teammate Deuce Mcallister is running below his career norms as well, fortunately for the Saints they are pretty good pass blockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes