PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edgerin James to the Pats??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
From what I heard on EEI, a caller from Indyland stated that all they were talking about was the possibility of James coming here...Hmmmm How interesting is that?? Wishful thinking or???

Pats726 said:
From what I heard on EEI, a caller from Indyland stated that all they were talking about was the possibility of James coming here...Hmmmm How interesting is that?? Wishful thinking or???

No................
There was a former agent of James on Total Access (for something unrelated) who talked about his great desire for large compensation. He politely said that James is a greedy bastard. Plus he is WAY too high price to be a backup and future starter which is all the Pats are looking for.

Last edited:
I don't even see how it would be possible but wow. It's definately nice to think about.

jeffd said:
No................
There was a former agent of James on Total Access (for something unrelated) who talked about his great desire for large compensation. He politely said that James is a greedy bastard.

Hah. That's exactly the way I interpreted the agent's remarks. Was that Leigh Steinberg? Or the African American lawyer agent that talked about James? I can't remember. Both were good interviews.

jeffd said:
Plus he is WAY too high price to be a backup and future starter which is all the Pats are looking for.

You aren't insinuating that James wouldn't be an immediate starter if he was signed by us are you? Please tell me you're not.

huskeralk said:
You aren't insinuating that James wouldn't be an immediate starter if he was signed by us are you? Please tell me you're not.

No. I don't think that's what he was saying. He was saying the Pats already have a starter's salary on their cap and, therefore, would not be looking to add a second starter's salary. Instead, they would be looking to add a young guy with a backup salary who could augment Dillion as a role player with an eye towards becoming a starter down the road.

How much Cap money do you suppose we're going to invest in the RB position? This is lunacy. Just because a big name guy gets cut doesn't mean it makes sense to sign him.

dryheat44 said:
How much Cap money do you suppose we're going to invest in the RB position? This is lunacy. Just because a big name guy gets cut doesn't mean it makes sense to sign him.

All it is is wishful thinking. I know that he's not going to be a Patriot but given the choice, I would trade our entire backfield for James.

If Edge does leave the Colts I see him going to someone that can afford him like the Vikings or Cardinals. Its to many backs out there now for the Pats to
overpay for a running back and thats also including the draft.

i think that he might go for the big pay day with a contender

huskeralk said:

James will be an instant starter anywhere he goes.

Dragda said:
James will be an instant starter anywhere he goes.

id take him for the right price definatly

dryheat44 said:
Just because a big name guy gets cut doesn't mean it makes sense to sign him.

Stop making sense!

There can't be anyone here who truly thinks Dillon is better than James? Maybe in the past, but not now. James blocks as well or better than Dillon, certainly catches the ball better, and James has much more speed, better cutting ability and is probably more than Dillon's equal when it comes to jamming your nose into a pile.

Why the Pats ever promised Dillon $5mil for this year is beyond me.....

Mike the Brit said:
Stop making sense!

lol i think we should go through the draft for our CD replacement

Brady'sButtBoy said:
There can't be anyone here who truly thinks Dillon is better than James?

That has nothing to do with it. The issue is the starting running back that we have under contract and the cap implications of keeping that back, cutting that back, and adding another back.

Shawn Alexander is probably better than Corey Dillon, too. But, that doesn't mean that we should sign Alexander.

We signed Dillion to an extension because he had just posted a 1600 yard season and a dominating performance in a successful SuperBowl run. We wanted to keep him for another couple of years.

Hmmm, I thought maybe they gave Corey the money to help sell beer. :singing:

I don't think it was an extension really, they just guaranteed most of the money already slated to be delivered for '06, which had to be some kind of bookeeping procedure as well.

huskeralk said:
All it is is wishful thinking. I know that he's not going to be a Patriot but given the choice, I would trade our entire backfield for James.

"entire?" you mean including TB?

Pats726 said:

Doesn't seem like a Pats kind of move, but then again, I would have said the same of letting Vinatieri go if asked a few weeks ago...

huskeralk said:
I don't even see how it would be possible but wow. It's definately nice to think about.

Judging by his time in Cincy, Corey Dillon isn't too keen on sharing the limelight with another star.

I think they bring some less prominent, younger guys in with upside and see what Dillon can do in mini camps.

If his ankle is still giving him problems they can bring in another UFA, make a trade, or look for a cut to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back