Edelman Spotted on Crutches and Wearing Walking Boot After Win Over Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Edelman Spotted on Crutches and Wearing Walking Boot After Win Over Miami
By: Ian Logue

After getting knocked out of last week's game with a concussion, Edelman left yesterday's game against Miami with a foot injury and according to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald was spotted wearing a boot on his foot and on crutches....

Man he has had a tough go of it with injuries, hope he is not gone to long.

The fact that he is in a boot and on crutches tells me that he will be out for at least a few weeks. And with only 4 games remaining, I'd be curious as to whether the team simply sits him until the last game or until the playoffs.

With Edelman down, our WR group is as follows: Lloyd, Slater, Welker.

Welker will continue to be Welker, Lloyd will have to be more involved now, and as much as I love Slater, to see him running routes is scary. The Patriots need to bring in 1 if not 2 receivers to get through this stretch and possibly into the playoffs.

The options would be: Jeremy Ebert, Kamar Aiken (Practice Squad), or one of our familiar vets on the FA market: Deion Branch, Jabar Gaffney, Donte Stallworth.

Ebert and Aiken are more projects at this point. Branch is nearly recovered from his hamstring, Gaffney's suspension is up (time as FA counted, actually), and Stallworth was recently in for a workout.

If we don't address our WR position, then we will have to rely more on our TE: Hernandez, Fells, Shiancoe.

Maybe it was just precautionary. Maybe they wanted to wait until
they could do more tests. I really hope this is the case and it
is not that bad.

Is bug eyes Reche Caldwell available?

He's got 5, hopefully 6 weeks to get better

Edelman has been having a great season on offense and special teams. IMO, hes shown enough to let Welker walk.

Edelman has been having a great season on offense and special teams. IMO, hes shown enough to let Welker walk.

Flame war in 5. . . . 4. . . .

Based on performance, I would agree that he negates the need to overpay for Welker. But A) There's no need for the two to be mutually exclusive if the money is right. And B) Edelman's injury history makes me wary of counting on him to replace Welker for 16 games a season.

This dude needs to stay healthy.

I'd like to see Branch back, purely for he and TB's chemistry......Hey, say that 5 times fast :)

The dude can't stay healthy. Edelman has already proven that year after year after year. The shame of it is that he is an exciting player. However the way he plays the game, the very things that make him exciting simply expose him in a way that his body simply cannot handle. I no longer believe JH will ever see more than eight games of a 16 game season. Mine as well pack him away for the post season and hope we can get a game or two out of him there.

Looked at the start of the year that this was the year BB had planned on really allowing JH to prove himself. Unfortunately he has proven to be exactly what he has been from day 1.

Contrary to a once-popular belief, it's starting to become apparent that they really do have fairly different skill sets . . . just as the team has insisted all along. If they let Welker walk, it's purely a matter of age IMO. (Though Edelman's injury history probably ought to balance that out.)

I think where there is a real personnel glut is the combination of those two dudes and Hernandez, along with the rest of the tight ends. (Not that they're ever all healthy simultaneously...) We're still lacking guys who thrive by operating outside the numbers. But heck, you can't have everything!

Based on performance, I would agree that he negates the need to overpay for Welker. But A) There's no need for the two to be mutually exclusive if the money is right. And B) Edelman's injury history makes me wary of counting on him to replace Welker for 16 games a season.

I dont know how much money Welker wants, but it must be way more than the Pats are willing to pay.

Brady made Welker just like Brady made Branch and Givens.Thats why I believe the Pats will stand their ground and let Welker walk unless he wants to accept less. WR is likely a draft need since NE needs to get younger at that position.

Edelman has 21 catches. Let's at least let him pass the immortal Brandon Tate, and his 24 catches, before we start pretending that Edelman's been anything above pedestrian on offense, let alone offering up the insane notion that he's "been having a great season on offense".

Last edited:

Welker takes massive blows every game and keeps ticking.

Edelman misses games after getting over excited spiking the ball on a TD.

I like Edelman as a player, but come on the Julian Glassman threads would start around week 2 if he tries to replace Welker.

Welker takes massive blows every game and keeps ticking.

Edelman misses games after getting over excited spiking the ball on a TD.

I like Edelman as a player, but come on the Julian Glassman threads would start around week 2 if he tries to replace Welker.

You're half right.

Welker knows how to flop down (I'm not saying that in a bad way). He understands he's a little guy and does well to preserve himself.

Edelman plays in a way that would guarantee a very short career. For some reason, he thinks he's Earl Campbell sometimes.

He's going to have to learn that skill from Lloyd and Welker.

Last edited:
Edelman has 21 catches. Let's at least let him pass the immortal Brandon Tate, and his 24 catches, before we start pretending that Edelman's been anything above pedestrian on offense, let alone offering up the insane notion that he's "been having a great season on offense".

As usual, the point goes over your skull. Not everyone here judges player performance as it relates to fantasy football and Madden.

Edleman has improved immensely with a near 70% catch rate.FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | WIDE RECEIVERS 2012 Years past, JE was down in the 50% catch rate range like 2010 and 2011. FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Julian Edelman Not good enough for Brady and the Pats and a ticket out of town like Ocho Stinko.

My statement stands, Edelman is playing great compared to years past and Brady is looking his way more and more. Edelman caught a nice bullet from Brady yesterday in Miami. Edelman is having a record season and its a shame hes missed so much time. Hes definitely turned into a weapon for the Pats and deserves another contract.

Edelman has worked hard all year and is definitely evolving into a weapon for this team. To those saying he will be our Welker replacement, I ask that you reassess. Over the past few weeks, Edelman and Welker have been on the field together in 2 Receiver Sets, and it is clear that both players have different skill sets.

That said, the only receivers under contract for next year are Lloyd (2 years remaining) and Slater (2 years remaining, he's not a receiver).

It goes without saying that our WR corp needs to be rebuilt. It needs to be more dynamic, and needs to get younger.

Let us hope Welker and the team can come to terms on a 2 year deal to finish out his career as a Patriots. Edelman should be extended, but for no more than 3 years at a team friendly value. He has taken until this year to really break out, and his injury history is a concern.

My statement stands, Edelman is playing great compared to years past and Brady is looking his way more and more. Edelman caught a nice bullet from Brady yesterday in Miami. Edelman is having a record season and its a shame hes missed so much time. Hes definitely turned into a weapon for the Pats and deserves another contract.

He is not playing great when he's not playing, though, and the part of your quote I bolded is important. He is playing better than he has in the past, but in no way shape, or form is he any sort of "Welker replacement"

I'm all for keeping Edelman at a reasonable salary. I also see no evidence that he's a player to count on for 16 games, or 12 games, or even for 8 games.

He is just getting hurt too much, simple as that. He needs to take a lesson from Welker and Woodhead and finish his runs by getting low and minimizing contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes