PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman & Gregory out vs Denver; Hernandez & Gronk Questionable

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said in the Hernandez thread - this is an unfortunate week for Gregory to be out.

It's not for lack of faith in Wilson, he's played fine in his time.

We ran a lot of snaps out of 3 safety towards the end of the Buffalo game; do those snaps go to Ebner? Mike Reiss says Dowling has taken snaps as the dime DB, can he step up?

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Gregory has been playing OK, not great, but the dropoff from him to Ebner would potentially be pretty big.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Gregory has been playing OK, not great, but the dropoff from him to Ebner would potentially be pretty big.

Or maybe Ebner will rise to the occasion? :confused:

Dowling's going to have to show up this week, I guess. Not the worst option in the world. More worried about Gronk, although I assume that he'll play and this is mostly gamesmanship.

Heard Today On NFLN Hernandez's Return Could Come As Early As Next Week Vs Seahawks. He Practiced Thurs & Fri. Great News!

Coaches will not ask the rookies to recognize things they have never seen, perhaps simplifying coverages to accommodate inexperience. Wind and Manning's weak arm work in our favor here, as well as the fact that the offense will have the ball so much. Would be more worried if it were Houston.

Well, big opportunity for Wilson.
We'll get a much better benchmark for his performance, since he'll be in so much.

Assume that the nickel and dime, then, will add corners.
Wilson has played a lot of nickel. Now he will shift to a full-time coverage safety in Gregory's place.

At nickel & dime we should see more Moore and Dowling.

Not a bad game for Dowling to get some time in nickel - Denver has several very large receivers.

Dowling's going to have to show up this week, I guess. Not the worst option in the world.

I doubt it since he hasn't practiced this week due to his grandmother's death.

From the report I guess he has returned to the team today, though

It's Ebner time more likely, I think

Last edited:
The bad news : Edelman is out.

The good news: His back up Wes Welker did a pretty good job last week. I tell you that kid, Wes has some potential, I was impressed how easily he stepped up to the plate last week when Edelman was out. :)

Gronk, Gregory, Mankins -- what's the deal with this sudden rash of hip injuries?

Ebner is a SS, not FS.

gronk will play..hernandez will not. I wonder if Denver prepared for hernandez at all

Last edited:
Ebner is a SS, not FS.

If Wilson goes down on Sunday, it's him and Chung. Call Chung the FS in that scenario if you want. But they would be our two safeties.

Besides, I'm not sure how much your point matters. Just look at the Bills game. All 2-deep and 3-deep safeties all game. And consider we saw the following safety rotations: Chung&Gregory; Gregory&Wilson; Wilson&Chung; Chung&Gregory&Wilson; Chung&Gregory&Ebner.

Last edited:
Wilson Chung time.

If Wilson goes down on Sunday, it's him and Chung. Call Chung the FS in that scenario if you want. But they would be our two safeties.

Besides, I'm not sure how much your point matters. Just look at the Bills game. All 2-deep and 3-deep safeties all game. And consider we saw the following safety rotations: Chung&Gregory; Gregory&Wilson; Wilson&Chung; Chung&Gregory&Wilson; Chung&Gregory&Ebner.

If Wilson went down, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Dowling or McCourty back to Safety over putting Ebner on the field with Chung..

On a different note, I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Hoomanawanui will not be playing since he's missed all week with a concussion..

If Wilson went down, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Dowling or McCourty back to Safety over putting Ebner on the field with Chung..

On a different note, I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Hoomanawanui will not be playing since he's missed all week with a concussion..

I was kinda hoping from the day they drafted Dowling that they would move him to safety. I think from what I saw of his highlights in college, he would make a good safety. Maybe better than a CB.

If Wilson went down, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Dowling or McCourty back to Safety over putting Ebner on the field with Chung.

Maybe - but we haven't seen Dowling take reps there at all, and we don't know if he's doing it in practice. McCourty or Moore are the corners who have most recently played safety for this team. It would be nice if Dowling was cross-trained there, but we don't really know without access to practice.

I just thought PP's statement that Ebner is a SS, not FS doesn't have huge practical repercussions the way this defense is constituted. There doesn't seem to me much difference between the roles of Gregory & Chung right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots