PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman: first rookie in 14 years to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Edelman: first rookie in 14 years to . . .

I get it. At the moment, the team needs someone to replace Welker for at least half the season. That role is slot receiver and Welker should play that role. We need someone else to be a #2 receiver, the long distance threat opposite Moss, the #1, the big TD threat. Both Moss and this new receiver should also be able to go over the middle, especially on intermediate routes. Edeleman as the #3 or slot receiver would have 5-10 catches a game.

We also need a #4 receiver as a change of pace, in spread formations (4 and 5 wides) and in case of injury. Edelman is the #4 when Welker comes back.

BOTTOM LINE
We need at least one receiver. Two or even three free agent receivers competing for two rosters spots with Stanback on the starting 53 would seem to be the ideal situation.
I agree that we need another receiver. I just think that Edelman could be used in a wider role than Welker. He isn't as good as Wes at running those short routes for first downs, because he doesn't have that quickness. But he has better straight line speed and looks good playing outside, like that 4th down play. He could fill in as a slot receiver OR play on the outside.

Like ctpatsfan said, I think he can be used more like Jabar Gaffney... except that he's more physical, faster, and will probably develop into more of a playmaker than Gaffney was.

I agree that we need another receiver. I just think that Edelman could be used in a wider role than Welker. He isn't as good as Wes at running those short routes for first downs, because he doesn't have that quickness. But he has better straight line speed and looks good playing outside, like that 4th down play. He could fill in as a slot receiver OR play on the outside.

Any lack of quickness on Edelman's part is a function of the vast gap in experience compared to Welker; although he may need one or two more steps than Welker to reach his full speed, Edelman's physical measurements are better more-or-less across the board compared to Welker's.

Last edited:

I wish people would stop calling Edelman our backup slot receiver. It's seriously uneducated. Oh, but because he's white and short, he must be Wes Welker 2...

He's got great vertical speed--he already makes more plays downfield than Welker does. He also has enormous upside, since this is his first year playing WR. If the Patriots limit him to just playing the slot, they're misusing his talent.

The guy definitely has the skillset to play on the outside, as well. He might not be a Donte Stallworth deep threat, but he'll be able to run intermediate routes that Welker doesn't.

Perhaps you missed that, so far, 90% of the passes thrown to him are screens or with 6 yards.

The kid is tremendous. However, he has NO experience as a deep or intermediate WR. Your post is all about him someday, perhaps, learning to take on an entirely new skillset that he has, to date, never tried.

Let's put it this way: You're waaaaayyy more wrong if you call him our "deep threat" than if you call him a slot receiver.

Last edited:

Perhaps you missed that, so far, 90% of the passes thrown to him are screens or with 6 yards.

The kid is tremendous. However, he has NO experience as a deep or intermediate WR. Your post is all about him someday, perhaps, learning to take on an entirely new skillset that he has, to date, never tried.

Let's put it this way: You're waaaaayyy more wrong if you call him our "deep threat" than if you call him a slot receiver.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I watched every game this season and saw Edelman make a number of plays well beyond 10 yards, especially as the year went on. The 20 yard pass on fourth down in the Ravens game comes to mind as just one example. And I never called Edelman a deep threat. You're getting ants in your pants about semantics I've never used. I just pointed out that his skill set allows for more versatility than limiting him to the slot on every play.

BTW, it's not an "entirely new" skillset. Watch him run. Are you blind? He's faster than Welker and he's faster than Gaffney, who was an intermediate receiver. He already has the skills to do it; it's just a question of experience now. It's not difficult to imagine at all.

They didn't draft him just to clone Welker. He has his own talents, like Tom Brady and Belichick have pointed out.

Last edited:

First he tore both his ACL and MCL during college, and then when he was activated around, week 7?(I may be wrong)He suffer another knee injury, and placed on IR.

I know that. I was asking about specifics to this year's injury. Same knee? Surgery?

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I watched every game this season and saw Edelman make a number of plays well beyond 10 yards, especially as the year went on. The 20 yard pass on fourth down in the Ravens game comes to mind as just one example. And I never called Edelman a deep threat. You're getting ants in your pants about semantics I've never used. I just pointed out that his skill set allows for more versatility than limiting him to the slot on every play.

This is true; IIRC, in the Titans game, the Pats had formations where Welker and Edelman were the only WRs on the field, which would be kinda pointless if you're just going to use both of them in the slot. And he's not bad as a blocker, either.

They didn't draft him just to clone Welker. He has his own talents, like Tom Brady and Belichick have pointed out.

True, but I think they are half-brothers or first cousins or something. :)

Last edited:

Big mistake there (one of many this offseason). Did the team actually save any cap room by dropping Gaffney and signing Galloway and G. Lewis?

Should have gone after Devery Henderson imo. How much coin did he receive to remain a Saint? Ok, looks like he got a 4 years/12M deal. I think he would have been worth the money and would have been quite valuable for the offense this year.

Oh well, could have, should haves. Time to check out the draft prospects and free agents for 2010!

THis discussion of Edelman is OK, but for me is a symptom of denial that we lost our best receiver. I love Welker, just can't stand that he got hurt it really tears my guts up.

OK, I'll try to move on and focus on the half-full glass.:scream::cry2: :(

THis discussion of Edelman is OK, but for me is a symptom of denial that we lost our best receiver. I love Welker, just can't stand that he got hurt it really tears my guts up.

OK, I'll try to move on and focus on the half-full glass.:scream::cry2: :(

Losing Welker sucks, no two ways about it, and it's unfair to expect WWII to make us forget about WWI. That said, Edelman brings enough to the table that I wouldn't be surprised if next preseason we're wondering, "Imagine if we have Edelman and Welker on the field. . . . :D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back