PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman - Any inside news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halifax_Pats_Fan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
How's he progressing? I know they want, or may want, to handle some kick-off duties over to him. I don't want to put him in the same honorable mention as #80 but he reminds me a lot like him. Good in the slot, quick, and hopefully we'll find out this year great in the return game...he is an exciting player to watch...

I know someone who know's someone who's daughter dated him awhile, maybe still is. That's the story anyway. That's all the inside info I have.

I think it is more likely that Tate will return kicks while Edelman returns punts. McCourty and Butler might be in their too. One thing's for sure, Welker's not going to be returning any punts this season.

One thing's for sure, Welker's not going to be returning any punts this season.

No kidding. Can you imagine the uproar if instead Welker had gone down bringing back a punt!

But we'll have to use someone. The shifty E-man gets the first tryout I guess. I'll still be pissed if he gets hurt on a return though. On the other hand, it might help answer the frailty issue one way or the other.

No kidding. Can you imagine the uproar if instead Welker had gone down bringing back a punt!

But we'll have to use someone. The shifty E-man gets the first tryout I guess. I'll still be pissed if he gets hurt on a return though. On the other hand, it might help answer the frailty issue one way or the other.

I would be far more alarmed if Edelman had ended up missing games the second time because of, say, a strained quad muscle instead of his broken arm. Broken bones are mostly bad luck.

I think his durability will be key.

Troy by and large avoided the big hits over the middle while at the other end of the spectrum, Welker got clocked.

Will this kid have that toughness to get up if, more like when, he gets his bell rung over the middle. Last year I really liked his toughness and am looking forward to see him this year.

More time with 12 on the practice field can't hurt either...

Last edited:
One thing's for sure, Welker's not going to be returning any punts this season.
What you meant was, "One thing's for sure, Welker's not going to be returning any punts this season if I were coaching the Patriots."

But Bill doesn't think that way. He will look for solid returners in TC and afterwards but if at some point through injury or fumbleitis Welker is clearly the best choice then he will almost certainly be returning punts.

Probably, as misguided as it would have been. But hey, perhaps you have a point, special teams don't really matter, they can't put points on the board or drastically affect the field position. :rolleyes:

i keep thinking about jason sehorn....a very good corner until he returned a punt and blew out his knee.

So, we have some more posts about the obvious fact that special teams yards and points count less than those of the passing game.
================================

Belichick played Welker as our punt returner last year. What a kuncklehead. ???????????

Troy Brown returned punts for years while being our slot receiver. And if Faulk is the best choice at kick returner, he'll be returning kicks. Sure, I would like to see Tate and Edelman be our return me! But, I woudn't be surprised to look out late in the season and see Welker or Faulk out there, or both.

Probably, as misguided as it would have been. But hey, perhaps you have a point, special teams don't really matter, they can't put points on the board or drastically affect the field position. :rolleyes:

Field position arguments not withstanding (see below), special teams AKA "The Kamikaze Squad" has got to be, almost without argument, play for play, the most dangerous one on the field.

Others can debate coaching philosophies all they want, but every intelligent coach recognizes this. I mean c'mon, this is the primary reason we don't see many front line running backs or wide receivers bringing back many kicks or punts. And before you mention the rare exception, they are USUALLY extreme cases where a RARE exceptional return talent, in the eyes of the coach, who knows the injury risks, determines that his field position advantage is worth it. And to top it off, even in this situation, I would wager that this coach internally evaluates this players use almost on a game-by-game or even play-by-play basis.

Heck, as a fan I like/liked seeing Welker and Edelman make returns. But as a coach, not so sure. It's not like they are breaking for TD's every 5 or 6 games, are they? So how much is an assumed advantage of 2-4 yards a return versus the increased risk of injury worth to the Patriots? Only BB makes that call.

Field position arguments not withstanding (see below), special teams AKA "The Kamikaze Squad" has got to be, almost without argument, play for play, the most dangerous one on the field.

Others can debate coaching philosophies all they want, but every intelligent coach recognizes this. I mean c'mon, this is the primary reason we don't see many front line running backs or wide receivers bringing back many kicks or punts. And before you mention the rare exception, they are USUALLY extreme cases where a RARE exceptional return talent, in the eyes of the coach, who knows the injury risks, determines that his field position advantage is worth it. And to top it off, even in this situation, I would wager that this coach internally evaluates this players use almost on a game-by-game or even play-by-play basis.

Heck, as a fan I like/liked seeing Welker and Edelman make returns. But as a coach, not so sure. It's not like they are breaking for TD's every 5 or 6 games, are they? So how much is an assumed advantage of 2-4 yards a return versus the increased risk of injury worth to the Patriots? Only BB makes that call.

"2-4" yards is not correct.

Yards variance can only happen on actual returns. A fair catch by anybody will result in zero yards. A fair catch also results in zero hits. Ever hear of anyone blowing out a knee on a kneel down?

Edelman's been working out with TBC in California. (Does that mean there is a disconnect and he wants to play for the 49ers as soon as his contract expires?)

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Second-year wide receiver Julian Edelman stepped up his training to prepare for camp

Edelman has been in California working out at the University of California-Berkeley. He trained with former Pats backup quarterback and current Chiefs backup Matt Guiterrez, Raven Demetrius Williams, Brown P.J. Ward and teammate Tully Banta-Cain.

”I hopped on it pretty hard to prepare myself the best for this upcoming training camp,” said Edelman. ”I definitely did things that would help me. Whatever it is, I’ll be ready for it. I’m excited to get out there with the fellas and build our team. Just get out there and run around with the pads on . . . this is where it all starts. This is where we’re going to mold our team and get ready for the 2010 season.”

photo3.jpg

Last edited:
Mike Reiss gives his opinion on punt returners today.

Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN

Reiss is correct. I watched Edelperson catch punts last summer. Shakey at first. While the vets (Faulk, Welker) fielded punts left handed with a football in their right, Edes dropped several kicks. As camp went on, he improved. Assuming he shows sure-handedness I see him as a major contender for PR with Faulk as the sure handed guy in critical situations.

This quote appeared in a NYT preview of the Patriots:

The Patriots can rely more on a Welker clone, Julian Edelman, a second-year receiver, but he is not a 100-catch talent.

Huh? Maybe I'm missing something, but the only things that would prevent Edelman from having 100 catches this season are injuries and Welker himself.

Heck, even if Welker were good to go from game 1, I could still easily see Edelman having 60 catches on the season.

Actually if you take the games that Edelman replaced Welker - game 2 at the Jets, game 3 vs Atlanta, the blowout versus Tennessee, the last game of the regular season against the Texans, and the playoff game against the Ravens - and extrapolate that to a full season Edelman's stats would be very comparbale to Welker's. In those five games he had 33 receptions for 33 receptions for 308 yards and 2 TD. Over a full season that would project to 106 receptions for 986 yards and 6 TD. So the NYT may be reading too much into his full year stats, and not considering Edelman's actual production when given the opportunity to get on the field.

Now does that mean I really think he will catch 100 passes this year? No, of course not. But he probably won't have to. Welker should be back at some point so it's not as if all of his receptions need to be replaced. And considering what the Pats got out of their TE, WR3 and WR4 positions last year, I don't hink I'm being overly homerly in thinking they may get better production out of all three of those positions this year.

In other words Edelman does not need to do absolutely everything Welker did or be a 100-reception reciver in order for the passing game and the offense to be effective. Only six players caught 100 poasses last year; why the presumption that Edelman needs to do that in 2010?

I've been called alot of names....

but never a "kuncklehead"

Do you have any evidence of that? I've never seen any stats showing that injury rates are higher on ST.

More thoughts on Edelman, via Jeff Howe of NESN.

Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate's Skills Could Add New Dimensions to Patriots' Offense - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Julian Edelman has already proven to be most useful as a slot receiver, and he capitalized on that role in 2009 with 37 receptions for 359 yards and one touchdown in 11 regular-season games. He was greatly limited during his rookie season, though, by a season's worth of injuries and an adjustment to a new position.

The former Kent State quarterback can bring a new dimension to the offense if the Patriots decided to implement a trick play in the Wildcat formation -- he has quarterbacked that formation in scout-team drills -- or if they wanted to draw up a reverse play in which Edelman had an option to pass the ball.

And, as evidenced by his electrifying punt return for a touchdown in the Patriots' 2009 preseason opener, Edelman is deadly in open space, so the Patriots would greatly benefit by working some screen plays in his favor, simply for the opportunity to get the ball in his hands out in the flat.

6a0115709f071f970b0133f244d453970b-400wi

I never called you a "knucklehead" but if the shoe fits!

I suggested that you must think Belichick a knucklehead for playing Welker as a punt returner.

To reiterate, Belichick will play Welker as a punt returner if he thinks that Welker is significantly better than anyone else on the team.

=============================================================
Belichick played Welker as our punt returner last year. What a kuncklehead. ???????????

Troy Brown returned punts for years while being our slot receiver. And if Faulk is the best choice at kick returner, he'll be returning kicks. Sure, I would like to see Tate and Edelman be our return me! But, I woudn't be surprised to look out late in the season and see Welker or Faulk out there, or both
==============================================================

I've been called alot of names....

but never a "kuncklehead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye