Welcome to PatsFans.com

Edelman, A True Patriot

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by CheeseMonkeys, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheeseMonkeys

CheeseMonkeys Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

Edelman's proving to be an extremely versatile player. If he wasn't in at WR he was returning punts for TD's, shedding blocks to make open field tackles, or defending passes. Lets not forget that he can also throw the football or line up in the backfield if he has to. Although he may not be an elite player in the NFL, he is definitely a useful player and a true Patriot.
  2. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +200 / 2 / -0

The only thing he still needs to do is throw a pass. He's done just about everything else in every phase of the game. He's even had a snap under center (they put him in motion, he stopped under center, and then fumbled the snap on what should've been a QB sneak), and taken a handoff lined up as an RB.

Edit: Here's the PBP entry for his snap under center:
    3-1-NYJ 38 (8:51) (Shotgun) 11-J.Edelman FUMBLES (Aborted) at NYJ 38, and recovers at NYJ 38. 11-J.Edelman to NYJ 38 for no gain (70-M.Devito). direct snap to NE 11-Edelman who was in motion and stopped behind center.

(2009, Week 11)
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  3. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +396 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

Oh, there's no doubt that Edelman provides use to this team, not only now but possibly in the future.

I am glad that he made a big play tonight, it will likely shut some of the naysayers up, at least for a little while.

It was only a matter of time, in all seriousness. People just get impatient a bit too quickly sometimes around here.

I would still love to see him contribute more in the offense, and I believe that he can, but not on this yr's team, unless it'd be running/reverses/trick plays.

At any rate, it's great to see him contributing more, as I do believe he has talent to be a role player.
  4. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +181 / 4 / -5

With the GRONKnandez show in full force, should the Pats consider moving Edelperson to full-time defensive back?
  5. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +96 / 5 / -0

#3 Jersey

Anybody got a Video of that tackle he made, earlier??

Beat #89 ~ Baldwin, who's got 30 pounds on'm ~ and made the solo hit??

Where you AT, Brother Ninja?? :D
  6. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +200 / 2 / -0

I'm thinking yes. His only real offensive role is that of Welker insurance, and after 2.5 years in this offense (plus his history with a QB playbook), I feel like he could be ready to play the Welker role with a week's worth of preparation, God forbid that ever be necessary. If he can develop into a passable #4 or 5 CB, then that's where he belongs. And that opens up a WR spot on the roster, which means they can bring in some new young blood to develop.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  7. E1Downey

E1Downey Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If we can't shake this injury bug then they may not have any choice!

Julian looked real good tonight, damn good. Was proud to see him contributing to this team I love. Versatile players like Julian are something that I think we as patriots fans pride ourselves on.

The saying around here is "just do your job". Well he is becoming a Jack of all trades and looking good doing it!
  8. stcjones

stcjones Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 7 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yeah....and realistically literally EVERYONE wanted to cut the guy for the last 10 weeks. Couldn't return Punta, costly fumble on about 10 yd line after a botched PR.....a lot of dropped passes when he did get time at WR etc.....its either feast or famine I guess.....He did play absolutely incredibly last night tho....let's hope he keeps bringing it.....
  9. brdmaverick

brdmaverick Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

I think the people who wanted to cut him had more to do with his brush with the law than his play on the field.

After all, Chad should be a target before Edelman. At least coming into this year, we didn't expect much from him.
  10. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +229 / 1 / -2

Someone on the post game radio broadcast said (paraphrasing): It's a good thing Edelman made a big play tonight, he hasn't really lived up to expectations.

My question: What expectations did people really have for Edelman? He was a 7th round QB, converted to WR (and now chipping in at DB), who has always had potential big play punt returning ability. Honestly, we've already gotten more value out of him than 99% of the 7th round picks made throughout the league. Who are these people who were upset because EDELMAN wasn't panning out?

Sorry, rant over. The kid is starting to look real good, mostly because he's the type of guy who's willing to do anything for the team.
  11. parthasas

parthasas Patriots Nation PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

He lit up LadyT last week and this week had a couple of tackles and finished off the plays :rocker:

Not a bad idea to make him cover the slot WRs going forward. Damn, he will erase Troy Brown's legacy at this rate in couple of games :eek:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
  12. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think, if the circumstances present themselves, Edelman could be important to this team on a weekly basis. He is not just versatile, but very good.
  13. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

He blew up a couple of the Chiefs players skirts on that punt return. :cool:
  14. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +723 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

You are a bad, bad person

I was disappointed in his penchant last season for dropping & deflecting passes. I love his versatility and agree that he should spend practice sessions focused on PRs and as the slot CB.
  15. Horace's Ivories

Horace's Ivories PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

I was really down on Edelman early in the year - glad to see he has found ways to help the team
  16. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

The weird part is that it took so long for someone to make the skirt reference. I gave everyone else a chance.:D
  17. CheeseMonkeys

CheeseMonkeys Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

I Agree that Edelman needs to play more reps at CB. He looks good out there. What surprised me the most was his ability to shed blocks, stay with his man and make quick tackles.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.