PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ed Reed to the Niners? NBC Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes no sense.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you. I just don't see the need for two free safety's. McCourty plays Free Safety and we draft or sign a strong safety for reasonable money. How does that not make sense?

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you. I just don't see the need for two free safety's. McCourty plays Free Safety and we draft or sign a strong safety for reasonable money. How does that not make sense?

I don't agree that this defense wouldn't be helped by having a starting combo or Reed/McCourty instead of Gregory/McCourty, but that's not what I was referring to. The notion of only taking Ed Reed for minimum money makes no sense.

I think people take 'only interested in ___ if he comes for the min' a bit too far.

So if Reed said "I'll play for you for 1 year 3 million' you'd pass? How about 1 year, 1.5m?

I get passing on 2 years, 10 million. I'm borderline on that -- I'd do it if it can be turned into a 1 year / 5 million contract by cutting him if he plays poorly.

But if it were 1 year 3 mil, or 2/6 I'd be super happy.

In my opinion a strong safety is over-rated on this team. The front seven is good enough at stopping the run but they all suck in coverage. Would be nice if our safety could occasional blitz the qb -- but I'm more interested in taking away the deep ball and making it more difficult for opponents on intermediate routes.

If they had a guy like Reed covering the deep ball, it would also be interesting to see if they could get more creative with McCourty -- having him and Talib swap coverages mid-play, etc to confuse the qb. Or if Travis develops into a competent safety, McCourty remains starting safety but becomes a CB on nickel packages.

I would like McCourty to stay at Free Safety for most of the defensive snaps. IMO, he is a much better option covering the deep ball than Reed. The front seven is good but a physical strong safety can make it hard on Running backs/Receivers after they catch the ball. Look what Pollard did to Ridley. Another example would be Eugene Wilson laying the wood in the 2003 afc championship game. Our defense used to be intimidating, not so much anymore.

I don't agree that this defense wouldn't be helped by having a starting combo or Reed/McCourty instead of Gregory/McCourty, but that's not what I was referring to. The notion of only taking Ed Reed for minimum money makes no sense.

No question Reed/McCourty would be an upgrade, but at what cost? What do you think it will take to sign Reed?

With Ellerbee gone, I think the Ravens probably will keep Reed at this point. At least, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Creepy....and SF just got WR Boldin from BALT etc...:"Harbrahs"

Ed reed to visit texans

RT @AlbertBreer: Just got a text from Ed Reed confirming the All-Pro safety will visit with Texans tomorrow. #freeagency

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes