PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ed Reed released by Texans ... signs with Jets

As of right now, the Jets are the #6 seed and would be in the playoffs. Their remaining games are:

Bills
Ravens
Dolphins
Raiders
Panthers
Browns
Dolphins

And Ryan has had success when he's reached the playoffs.

Re: Ed Reed released by Texans [Update: Picked Up By Jets]

F the J E T S.

As of right now, the Jets are the #6 seed and would be in the playoffs. Their remaining games are:

Bills
Ravens
Dolphins
Raiders
Panthers
Browns
Dolphins

I'm going to be honest, I'd like to try and avoid tempting fate if possible. I'm not meaning to sound negative, especially since we've gone some offensive weapons back now, but I'd rather have someone else in there.

Looking at their remaining opponents I'm seeing 9-7 at best, although I suppose that will likely be good enough to get in this season.

I'm going to be honest, I'd like to try and avoid tempting fate if possible. I'm not meaning to sound negative, especially since we've gone some offensive weapons back now, but I'd rather have someone else in there.

Looking at their remaining opponents I'm seeing 9-7 at best, although I suppose that will likely be good enough to get in this season.

Their remaining schedule is close to a cake walk. I could see 10-6 or better. I really hope they don't make the playoffs. Divisional games are just such a toss up in the playoffs.

Their remaining schedule is close to a cake walk. I could see 10-6 or better. I really hope they don't make the playoffs. Divisional games are just such a toss up in the playoffs.

I agree about the concern of facing a divisional opponent in the playoffs, particularly one who has a great defense. There have actually been stats that back up a 2-0 head to head season with a higher chance of winning the 3rd game (AndyJohnson has posted the links/stats before), but I really don't like to tempt fate myself.

As far as their potential final record, I think we're close in our predictions with 9 or 10 wins, but I also think that they are rather unpredictably predictable (if that makes any sense at all). They've shown a tendency to win-lose-win-lose, and let's remember that 2/5 wins were due to last second game changing penalties that were called on their opponent. They've been a bit lucky.

I still believe that they could realistically go 4-3 vs the likes of :

BUF
MIA (2x)
BAL
CLE
CAR
OAK

I'm not seeing the "cakewalk" that you are, and I certainly think they could lose 3 more games. Carolina, Baltimore, Miami (2x...maybe a split), and maybe even Cleveland and their tough defense could certainly give them losses. I don't think it's unrealistic to look at those games at see 3 more potential losses.

They should be okay vs Buffalo, Miami (split), Oakland, and maybe one of Baltimore/Cleveland; but that's exactly where I get their 9-7 record from.

I let the dust settle and read everything I could find from Houston, NY and the national outlets.

Is Ed Reed done?...the Texans think so as far as physically goes.

Can Ed Reed help the Jets? I have to say yes...a man with THAT kind of experience is like having another coach on the roster.

Do the NY Jets NEED Ed Reed for their defense?...uh, their defense is pretty damn good as it stands. Adding a slowed down Reed with a bad hip doesn't really make sense.

Why then would Ryan want Ed Reed, when he's got glaring holes at the offensive skill positions?..Beats me...I think I'm gonna have to go with HE'S DYSLEXIC. Needs offense...picks up defense.

I let the dust settle and read everything I could find from Houston, NY and the national outlets.

Is Ed Reed done?...the Texans think so as far as physically goes.

Can Ed Reed help the Jets? I have to say yes...a man with THAT kind of experience is like having another coach on the roster.

Do the NY Jets NEED Ed Reed for their defense?...uh, their defense is pretty damn good as it stands. Adding a slowed down Reed with a bad hip doesn't really make sense.

Why then would Ryan want Ed Reed, when he's got glaring holes at the offensive skill positions?..Beats me...I think I'm gonna have to go with HE'S DYSLEXIC. Needs offense...picks up defense.

Yeah, really..you'd think with their glaring holes on offense they'd have been a bit more aggressive on the other side of the ball.

They are getting Santonio Holmes back though, so I suppose that will help.

They seem to be placing their chips on the old tough defense/running game idea, so we'll have to see how much they'll hold up throughout the last 7 games.

I have zero problem with this because if the Pats can't beat the Jets in the Playoffs then the Pats weren't good enough for a ring anyway. If Brady et. al.'s nut sacks shrink at the thought of playing Ryan then they're simply not the team we thought they were.

I have zero problem with this because if the Pats can't beat the Jets in the Playoffs then the Pats weren't good enough for a ring anyway. If Brady et. al.'s nut sacks shrink at the thought of playing Ryan then they're simply not the team we thought they were.

I don't agree, it's certain fits sports cliche to say to be champion you need to beat the champ and pass the trial by fire. But reality is that many championship teams reach the destination because of serendipitous path, it takes a combination of luck and circumstances to win especially in the NFL. I would love for patriots to avoid jets if all possible, it's gonna be a toss up and an emotionally charged game where anything can happen.

Bills
Ravens
Dolphins
Raiders
Panthers
Browns
Dolphins

-The Chargers are 4-5 and face the Broncos, Chiefs 2x, and the Bengals as well as the Doofins.
-The Doofins are 4-5, have no OL at the moment, and face the Pats, Panthers, and Jets 2x.
-The Titans are 4-6 and Locker is out for the season. They face the Broncos and Colts; they are toast.
-The Browns are 4-5 and face the Bengals, Pats, Bears, and Jets.
-The Ravens are 4-5 and face the Lions, Bears, Pats and Bengals.

The Jets could get in at 8-8....

As light as their remaining schedule is, they aren't nearly good enough on offense OR defense to chalk up W's against any of those teams.

But even if they do make the playoffs, they are a #6 seed, and if the Pats score the #2 (which I predict they will), they wouldn't see meet any earlier than the AFCCG. Pretty longs odds if you ask me.

I still think people are overrating the Jets because beat two very good teams decimated by injuries. The Pats were without Talib, Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly, and Amendola when the Jets beat them. The Saints were without Colston, Sproles, both starting safeties, and Graham very gimpy.

The Jets have lost to two bad teams in Pittsburgh and Tennessee. They should have lost to a horrible Bucs team except for a stupid penalty. They might have lost to the Pats if not for a penalty that had never been called before in NFL history. They could have been 3-6 right now. And they got absolutely toasted by the Bengals.

And the Jets defense is not as good as people make it. They have a great d-line, but their secondary is as bad as any Pats secondary from 2009-2011. I still don't think Reed changes that.

Don't be shocked if the Bills pull the upset. The Bills have played teams tough this year. It will all come down to their o-line and Manuel. If they can keep Manuel clean, he may be able to tear apart the Jets crappy secondary.

I still think people are overrating the Jets because beat two very good teams decimated by injuries. The Pats were without Talib, Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly, and Amendola when the Jets beat them. The Saints were without Colston, Sproles, both starting safeties, and Graham very gimpy.

The Jets have lost to two bad teams in Pittsburgh and Tennessee. They should have lost to a horrible Bucs team except for a stupid penalty. They might have lost to the Pats if not for a penalty that had never been called before in NFL history. They could have been 3-6 right now. And they got absolutely toasted by the Bengals.

And the Jets defense is not as good as people make it. They have a great d-line, but their secondary is as bad as any Pats secondary from 2009-2011. I still don't think Reed changes that.

Don't be shocked if the Bills pull the upset. The Bills have played teams tough this year. It will all come down to their o-line and Manuel. If they can keep Manuel clean, he may be able to tear apart the Jets crappy secondary.

They have the best run defense in football and my understanding is that the Bills are hurting at WR, if so i expect the jets to win even though I hope like hell they don't. I hope the Patriots play them in the play-off's, I honestly believe they will kick their asses the next time around. Ryan has spent his bullets against them.

Apparently Ed Reed is actually starting for the Jets today instead of Antonio Allen. That was quick.

So how do you think Reed feels about his decision now? If it was about comfort over winning, just fine I'd guess, but what a beat down!

So how do you think Reed feels about his decision now? If it was about comfort over winning, just fine I'd guess, but what a beat down!
Other than one first quarter tackle in the back field, he was a non-factor. Appeared slow to my naked eye.

Other than one first quarter tackle in the back field, he was a non-factor. Appeared slow to my naked eye.

He was nowhere near the ball most of the time.

They have the best run defense in football and my understanding is that the Bills are hurting at WR, if so i expect the jets to win even though I hope like hell they don't. I hope the Patriots play them in the play-off's, I honestly believe they will kick their asses the next time around. Ryan has spent his bullets against them.

Hell, the Bills could have used offensive linemen at WR and they would have gotten open against the Jets secondary. I think Rex Ryan is envious of the Pats' 2011 secondary. They were a bunch of All Pros compared to the Jets' secondary.

Hell, the Bills could have used offensive linemen at WR and they would have gotten open against the Jets secondary. I think Rex Ryan is envious of the Pats' 2011 secondary. They were a bunch of All Pros compared to the Jets' secondary.

I know it, I had the Bills all week for my pool until I heard they were missing both wideouts, so i switched it to the Jets and lost. At least i enjoyed watching them get their asses handed to them.

It sounds like there was no decision to be made, other than retire or play for the Jets.

Now that i think about your right, he probably regrets not retiring.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back