PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ed Reed - Cheap Shot Punk

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a hit to the head for god sake!!! Luckily Edelman has a hard head but it was a shot meant to knock him out. He will get fined

What I'm saying is, it wasn't a cheap shot.

First off just because you get flagged for a play does not make it a cheap shot.

Second Rodney played in a different time when this hit was legal so comparing this to Rodney is mute.

Third I think most on here would concede that Rodney's play at best bordered on the line of cheap.

Fourth I would contend that the shot on Edelman was actually the cheap shot where as the one on branch was a good clean solid hit that happened to be too high. Reed stayed on his feet squared up and was ready to hit chest and he stood up a little as he was trying to thrust his force just dont raise up at the last second and no flag comes. On the Edelman play he might not have actually hit him in the head or did very slightly however in this case he was chasing and didnt square up and actually kind of launches himself at Jules but the part I really didn't like was that Reed had his forearm up aiming high which to me is a little cheap even under the old rules.
One hit was harder but by my opinion was not cheap but more incidental contact with the head. The player still needs the protection so the flag should be thrown but nothing cheap where as the other was not as hard but arms were high and he kind of launched which to me are much more volantary than missing your target a little high.

Lastly I think most of us love the violence of the game and would prefer the NFL dont protect these guys (as terrible as it sounds). But as long as they are going to (which they should) it doesnt make us wussies to expect flags in certain instances.

Last edited:
The reason that Reed's hit on Branch was penalized, and for which he will probably be fined, doesn't have to do with the part of the body he hit Branch with but the part of Branch that he hit.

You particularly can't hit what's defined as a defenseless receiver, which Branch was in that situation, in the head. Reed did. Penalty and fine. Plain and simple.

When you look at what happens to Branch's neck as a result of the hit, you can see why the NFL wants to eliminate this play -- he could have been paralyzed. The same hit to the chest or shoulder is completely legal.

It certainly was a penalty, and it is great to reduce the times headshots like these occur, but they will never disappear from the game entirely. In this example, Reed and Branch are running on different angles on the field, closing on each other, Branch is a short receiver, and he naturally braces and ducks his head when he sees Reed coming. It is difficult for a defender to make a perfect tackle in that situation. Reed tackles "too high" with his shoulder, but it's difficult to see how he could have gotten lower without lunging forward or else diving low, Steven Gregory style.

It is actually remarkable how much body control Reed demonstrates here. On a closing target, he quickly breaks his hips down to square himself and reduce speed, recovers from a path taking him outside Branch with a strong plant, and leads with his outside shoulder through the ballcarrier, with his helmet right across the ballcarrier's body; "on the ball," if Branch were normal height. You can't really ask for a better open field hit.

[/QUOTE] It is actually remarkable how much body control Reed demonstrates here. On a closing target, he quickly breaks his hips down to square himself and reduce speed, recovers from a path taking him outside Branch with a strong plant, and leads with his outside shoulder through the ballcarrier, with his helmet right across the ballcarrier's body; "on the ball," if Branch were normal height. You can't really ask for a better open field hit.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to echo this as it was what I was thinking watching the hit again. I hate most of the ravens Suggs and Flacco in particular, but Ed Reed is one guy that I just can't help but admire. He is intellegent, well spoken, and from everything I have read and heard about him a real stand up guy and leader. I would LOVE to have him on the pats to the point I'd consider trading a first round pick for him. This hit was not cheap, dirty, or inapproprate he just missed a little high so in today's NFL that's a penelty and a fine. Same as with Belicheck's fine I'd bet even Reed would say "I deserved that". Read the body language of both Branch and Reed after the hit when they gave each other a pat and a nod. They both knew and understood what had happened and were completly fine with it.

Ed remains probably the only cheap shot punk or otherwise player Bellichick would have remotely considered trading Brady for in his prime and possibly into his dotage. ;)

Last edited:
Incredible player, wish he had been a Patriot all these years.

So.................no fines for Reed?

So.................no fines for Reed?

I guess not. Dumbell must be reading this board and deciding that Ed Reed is the second coming according to most of the posters. How could I be so wrong as to suggest otherwise?

For that price I would keep on doing it.
Repeat offenders are fined more and eventually face suspensions. The first time, it's not a big deal. After three or four, it is.

Absolute joke that Reed didn't get fined for the Edelman hit. Reed's hit on JE was worse than Mayo's fined hit from the Cardinals game.

I'd like to see the "Ravens got the commish in their pocket" comments start now from fans of other teams as they somehow dodged two fines they should have gotten this week (the other being Harbaugh's bump of the official).

Fans of Harrison, Wilfork, & Mankins shouldn't throw stones. I have never once heard Reed referred to as a dirty player. He is one of the best safties ever.

None of us complained when Rodney Harrison was laying the wood. And as was said, I'd rather we have a nasty D and take some flags. Everyone hates us anyway, we might as well play it up.

I do NOT -repeat DO NOT EVER want to be or to emulate the Ravens. EDIT: Bad enough devolving into Manning's Colts.

Haters can hate all they want, exaggerate and lie to each other all they want, but the Patriots are one of the classiest organizations in sports.

That said, I'd probably drop a third nut to get Ed Reed on our team.

Last edited:
Those hits Ed Reed laid out were fine by me. Catch the ball across the middle than you are gonna get hit. He set the tempo for that D and aside from Mayos occasional thumps he lays out across the middle, I cant think of anyone else who strikes fear into the opposition.

To the OP. How can you honestly come here, and nerd rage the way you did, laying out personal attacks on an unbelievable player, and not once mention how dirty our O-line played in that game? Hell, Mankins has got to be one of the dirtiest players in the league. Solder even got into the action by trying to kick a Raven as he laid on his back after getting pancaked. Reeds hits at least took place in the heat of the moment while he was trying to separate a receiver from the ball. It was obvious to me on both those plays he wasnt headhunting. Ryan Clark...that man head hunts. Meriweather headhunts. Reed just tries to knock the **** outta ya.

I would love to have that Man on this team.

For that price I would keep on doing it. It sort of goes with the entire game. They got away with everything they could and it looks like they got away with this as well. BB touches a ref = 50K, ER comes close to paralyzing a player = 21K. Way to send a safety message Dumbell.

The player fines are prescribed as part of the CBA and they are not imposed by Goodell, dumbell.

Last edited:
We need psychopaths on D
Deon is a big girl

Ed Reed is a warrior

Hit looks fine with me.
If Chung made that same hit, no one would be calling him dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back