Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ed Koch endorses Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

This is a reasonably big deal for a couple reasons:
    (1) Koch endorsed and campaigned for Bush, so he has a certain amount of credibility as an independent thinker
    (2) Elderly Jews, who may have some concerns about Obama because of traditional Jewish black friction and various rumors and lies about Obama's religion and relationship to anti-Israel groups, do trust and respect Koch. He could be important in influencing the Jewish vote in key swing states like Florida and Michigan.
    (3) There is already some concern among some Jews about Sarah Palin's church.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Koch_backs_Obama_calls_Palin_scary.html?showall

Former New York Mayor Ed Koch, who endorsed and worked for George W. Bush in 2004, is endorsing Obama today, NY1 first reported.

I asked Koch just now what prompted the move.

"The designation of Palin to be vice president," he said. "She's scary."
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 1 / -9

Does Koch know what Obama's church thinks about Jews?
  3. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Does Koch know what Queen Palin's church thinks about Jews?
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

So Obama = Bush now. Nice.

:D
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Yeah, sort of as absurd as McCain = change.
  6. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

No, but the norm is democrats endorse democrats; republican endorse republicans so normally when that happens, it ain't news.

But there are some people who break. Ed Koch has a history of endorsing people from both parties so who he chooses is relevent. This isn't quite a big as Lieberman endorsing McCain. But it is newsworthy. Unlike say Gore endorsing Obama or Chenney endorsing McCain.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 1 / -9

Just looked it up, your right, if I was a Jew I'd sit this one out, "Anti Jew From Both Sides"
  8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +617 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

What the heck ... Palin's speech writer is a liberal Peta supporter.
    This election is turning many things upside down.
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +617 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Patters not for nothing ... but what you're saying in this post is the same thing i was saying about the blacks in my post where you called me a racist. Neither my post or this one is racist ... it's politics plain and simple.

Leading people to believe something which may be true or untrue is not calling them stupid ... it's just the way politics works. if these people blindly follow Koch (too stupid to think for themselves) ... which you are suggesting they are... is exactly what I have said many black people have done listening to black leaders over the years. it's not about suggesting people are stupid ... it's a political person playing to the emotions of a segment of voters plain and simple.

If these people blindly follow what Koch says ... and Obama does not do anything for the Jewish then they deserve what they get. You post here is no deifferent than the one in which you called me a racist and you still refer to.

So let's stop playing games with the race card.
    Thanks for proving my political point ... it's just politics ... it is what it is.
  10. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

LOL Nice try, slick.
  11. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Only if you drink the Obama koolaide.
  12. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

[​IMG]

I think some people need to spend a little less time on their preaching to the choir blogs and more time researching their own candidate. Obama's Trinity Church is about as bigoted and anti-Semitic as it gets. Anyone who backs Obama doesn't want to go down this road.
  13. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +88 / 7 / -11

#37 Jersey

I am Jewish and have no problem with them. But than again, I am not a Jon Stewart Jew, either.
  14. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

You mean the Ed Koch who said Obama was a sure loser????

http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache... koch" "john mccain"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

"I believe Obama probably will win [the Democratic nomination], although in politics you never ever can count anybody out," said former New York Mayor Ed Koch. "I think Hillary is doing a magnificent job and is a great candidate and if anybody can pull it out, she can. But my honest opinion is, it probably won't happen. And that he will be the candidate and that he will lose."
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I really don't see your point. Knowledge comes from evidence, logic, and from authorities. If Stephen Hawking says something about physics, I trust him; for some people, Koch is trustworthy in terms of issues important to Jewish voters, such as U.S. policy towards Israel. Your point was that people who don't follow the example of Condi and a couple of others need to shed their stupidity. I'm not making that point at all. My point is simply that Koch is an authority for some people.
  16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +617 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Exactly the point I was making in that other thread. Following someone based on hope or based on trust does not demean the intelligence of the voter. However ... and a big however when they get duped it is what it is ... doesn't mean they are stupid. Just means they passionate, loyal perhaps, emotional ... happens all the time.