Welcome to PatsFans.com

Economists prefer Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Examining America's presidential candidates | Examining the candidates | The Economist

Our survey is not, by any means, a scientific poll of all economists. We e-mailed a questionnaire to 683 research associates, all we could track down, of the National Bureau of Economic Research, America’s premier association of applied academic economists, though the NBER itself played no role in the survey.

The detailed responses are bad news for Mr McCain. Eighty per cent of respondents and no fewer than 71% of those who do not cleave to either main party say Mr Obama has a better grasp of economics. Even among Republicans Mr Obama has the edge: 46% versus 23% say Mr Obama has the better grasp of the subject.
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +380 / 3 / -15

I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark, but could it be due to the fact Obama's intellectual capicity dwarfs McCains?:eek:

No, it couldn't be that...never mind!;)
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, that says it all!! :D

:singing:

//
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Anything Mccaln finds to tough to handle Sarah will take care of.

GOD BLESS AMERICA (you betcha)
  5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +380 / 3 / -15

Ok Harry, these are for you baby...;);););)
  6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +380 / 3 / -15

How would you know buster?

\\
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:wha:

Because I can read?

;)
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Nonetheless, by a 2-1 majority out of ~70 Republican economists, Obama is preferred. It's not a scientific survey, but a random survey with that many participants is telling, unless you think that there's a tendency by pro-Obama Republican economists to prefer surveys than do anti-Obama Republican economists.
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

That is only partly accurate, PR. The more accurate statement is that the intellectual capacity of some kinds of lichen dwarfs McCain's. In fact only one form of life is actually less capable of analytic thought, and she's his running mate.
  10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +380 / 3 / -15

The only thing that concerns me about Palin is the number of "backwards" Fargo types that get excited hearing someone say "you betcha!"

Hell, for some of these people, "you betcha!" could seal the deal and get their vote!
  11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

It is funny, I think the stances Obama takes on issues, makes him a dope, wrong on almost every single one of them. You say the accent gets people excited, well I have heard you say that Obama's race excites you. The same people you you are calling backwards are no different than you, are you a dope?
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

OBAMA'S RACE "EXCITES" 95% OF THEM, THEY CAN'T HIDE IT, WHY DON'T THEY EVER CALL HIM "WHITE" HE IS JUST AS MUCH WHITE AS HE IS BLACK.

(WHITE IS HIS BAD SIDE)----------:singing:
  13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

Yeah maybe.

I'm in writing, so I spend most of my time barricaded in an office suite. I talk to other office-dwellers, not "the people." But my wife relates this story... it's quintessentially urban/suburban, but also to me seems quintessentially American.

She works in a family-run doctor's office, along with the doctor's wife, who was born in Taiwan. Now mind you both the doctor and his wife have been here for decades, but to a native speaker, they seem to have a limited grasp of the language. At any rate, she asked my wife "who is this Joe six-pack?" When my wife explained, she got ruffled... she didn't think that was the "average American." She said the average American is Black or latino or Chinese, just basically everything all mixed together was what "average American" meant to her.

The demographic shifts point toward her being right in the future, and those who are constantly pursuing "Joe six pack" will be increasingly wrong. To be sure, immigrants cluster in the cities in general. But now there are communities of agri-workers too who are immigrants... the so-called immigration "problem" is everywhere.

And most immigrants are legal, as we all know.

The basic point here is that "you betcha" is calculated to rope in those down-home folks from Norman Rockwell paintings, who we "elitists" think of as staying in the painting and never changing, like some kinda Twilight Zone episode. Well they change too.

So the Great Quest for the Reagan Democrat, which has served the Republicans well for years, is nearing the end of its usefulness.

In the 80s, "Joe Sixpack" was Son-of-"Hardhat." "Hardhat" was the guy who hated hippies in the 60s. But the country is moving on. "Hardhat" is retired, and his son is managing a bunch of hardhats/JoeSixpacks, but probably just as many Jose SeisPacks.

Frankly "Joe Sixpack" is supposed to be a white male with less than 4 years of college. Well, the pool of white males is less and less relevant, because the population of white males is shrinking in proportion to the voting populace. And because "Joe Sixpack's" wife sees herself very differently from "Hardhat's" wife, that white male voter increasingly doesn't "come with" a white female voter.

Why do we see the Obama phenomenon today? Many reasons, but one is math.

You can still look at the white male vote, and Obama is trailing 60-40. That would be the death knell in the 1980s. Now it is not.

So yes, "Joe Sixpack" loves him some McCain. But that's not enough to carry a Pennsylvania, or a Florida, or a Virginia. You still have a belt of states through the center of the country, mainly the large underpopulated and electorally overrepresented states Republicans count on, who are rabid supporters of McCain. And with a stronger candidate, Republicans might take back many of the "battlegrounds" even as their populaces change.

But not for long. If the Republicans do not expand away from this "Joe Sixpack" cultural icon toward broader representation, they are doing nothing but attempting to shore up an ever-smaller base, with ever-less-reliable allegiance (because everyone but the wealthy few are now on to how the remainder of us are being effected by the priviledges we are according them.)

Now: don't get me wrong. I understand you will still have voters' ears prick up when you say "America good", or "The other guy gives jobs to foreigners," or whatever. And I never underestimate Republican strategists' ability to convince people it is in their interests to give huge tax breaks and perks to the wealthy. But now they have to sell that bill of goods to Black, Latino, Women, and other "non-favored" populations. This was less of an issue four or five decades ago, but has increasingly become central.

From the time of Reagan to the present, the belief in magic has helped with this task. Magic bubbles, magic economic theories, magic "culture war" formulas that made the business of the country a matter of the peoples' pelvises. I think we are currently at a moment in time when there's no silver bullet for the GOP, and it will do some soul-searching.

Or, hey, they might swift-boat their way to another win, or have one decided in the courts after losing the popular vote, who knows. I've been wrong before.

But if I were the Republicans, I'd be selling new kool-aid after this November, addressing the actual issues faced by women, not repackaging the issue as "look! a woman's face!"

PFnV
  14. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Translation = white males are dumb. Good. Got it. Thank You!:mad:
  15. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I've lived in the West and mid-West for about 4 years total and I've never heard any of those people talk like Palin. There was never any You betcha,gosh darnit, people saying "ya know joe six pack" etc. Maybe in Minnesota which is where she sounds like she comes from. So who are they talking to,because again I've never heard this language except from old tv shows like Andy Griffith from the 50's and 60's.
  16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

:) Try again. Translation = white not college-educated males are a declining and increasingly diverse slice of the electorate. Other slices of the electorate are getting increasingly larger.

By the way, your assumption that being college-educated is the only way to be smart, or in some ways guarantees your intelligence, is noted.

I disagree, but then, I am not an elitist. I just live in a place people say makes me one.

PFnV
  17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

That's interesting. The wife's from Indiana (NW, closest city = Chicago.) She said she thought the whole "dropping the g", "Joe six-pack" thing was just corny. She found it insulting.

I think there's an elite political cadre that's out-of-touch enough to declare Palin's persona "everywoman." In part they got it right, but in part she's more like a movie character of that lady down the street that has the nice house and is nice to all the kids and always takes a van full of them to Hockey and gets them pizza sometimes after. She approximates that pretty well, and since none of us interact with EVERYBODY, heck, that lady down the street might drop the "g" at the end of "ing" words. She might even say "You Betcha!" even if the other hockey moms don't... but hey, it's fine. It takes all kinds.

So I don't think those affectations hurt her too much, although maybe some. It depends how many people think she talks that way in everyday life, and whether she's pandering. I think a fair number of people did think it was silly pandering.

PFnV
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

You are witnessing the last gasps of "America" our culture is changing overnight, The Third World is moving in, many different races who won't be able to communicate with each other due to the crazy idea that the English Language isn't America's language, the new Americans will constantly be killing each other due to their extreme "racism" this has already been started in America's prisons (Spanish Black White) your children will all speak different tongues therefor causing SEGREGATION because of lack of communication, America will ba a land of viollence, crime and third world mentality.

Definition Of Joe Six Pack (dying breed)
    Joe Six pack is the guy that once ran America, he is a High Scholl Grad he owns a little ranch house in the suburbs, he gets up at 6AM goes to work comes home, mows his lawn, washes his car, watches TV goes to bed and does it all over again, Saturday afternoon he has a cookout, he invites his neighbors
    (this is where the six pack comes in) they all bring their Six Packs, all the kids come with them, if it rains they go down into Joe's celler where he has built a little room with a bar and a stereo set, they call it
    "a play room" this is where Joe and his neighbors "play".
    Joe and his neighbors stay up late drinking their six packs sometimes many six packs, they sing
    "Heart Of My Heart" they have earned this saturday night they worked very hard all week, these are the people who have paid their taxes to the scumbags in Washington to run the country with, these are the guys that go to war to protect the Liberal Anti American Bastards from America's enemy, their wives are the ones that bring their children up to decent law abiding patriotic citizens, THESE PEOPLE ARE AMERICANS this is Joe Six Pack.

There are many, many MINORITY Joe Six Packs all across America but the Liberal Left doesn't like to mention them, Bill Cosby wishes there were more, Bill Cosby is very inteligent man, wouldn't you say?

Joe Six Pack is dying, The Scumbags will soon be running America, for amusement instead of having a cookout and singing "Heart Of My Heart" they will all be KILLING each other.

America Over There----------------------------->:bricks:
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

No the portrayal by Sarah and the right is White males all drink six packs, do not understand how government works and cannot think for themselves.. if you are comfortable with this description more power to ya!!!
  20. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Please please please show proof of that statement.