Welcome to PatsFans.com

Economic Stimulus Package Excludes Many Immigrant Families

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, May 14, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wow. They're actually trying to keep from giving away yet more of the American taxpayer's money to illegal immigrants and that pisses off a Democrat Congresswoman who wants to give illegals more free money?

WTF?
  3. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You got it wrong again..... one more time , nobody surprised ! :D
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

This is beyond retarded. If you're not a citizen, then you don't get money. Sorry.
  5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Okay Mr. Wizard (who doesn't know the difference between Delaware and Wisconsin, btw), why don't you tell me what i got wrong? The government took steps to help ensure illegals didn't get the stimulus money. This causes a delay in processing people who aren't actually citizens and don't have an SSN. A Democrat congressbroad is whining about it.

What'd I miss, Mr. Wizard, what?
  6. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Read this quote , it says an american who wont get no stimulus check:

Can you dig it?
    Last edited: May 14, 2008
  7. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Operative words being "the couple".

There's no reason he can't get it--unless they still have the rule that soldiers in war zones don't have to pay taxes. But the foreign born (that's NOT A CITIZEN, wes) wife won't get American tax payer money, at least not right away.
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Wes, you really need to take a deep breathe, and look at this logically.
  9. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think you fail to understand the situation, if you are a US citizen and your wife is not , you are not eligible for that stimulus check .

Take a deep breath if you are an american soldier.You take it if you are not eligible for the gvt help.

Many Armed Forces members stationed overseas have foreign spouses who can't get Social Security numbers.
    William Luong, stationed at a U.S. naval base in Yokosuka, Japan, said his fellow seamen resent that they've landed in the same category as illegal immigrants.
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +255 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well this is what it says :

"If a married couple files jointly and one spouse doesn't have a Social Security number, the couple won't get the $1,200 checks that other couples will receive."

It doesn't say whether the one person gets $600. You're assuming he doesn't but that's not clear.
  11. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Lets start over , i think some people havent get it yet.

FROM AP !!!!!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hDW0EoDq2p4LZLJD6hzOqG9h7c5wD90JJ9F00
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Wes, I understand that America is the great Satan and all, but when a policy like this is written, the people involved don't go to every persons house to see if they should get a check or not, or to figure out if they should qualify. They set guidelines and parameters like "you need a social security number", since every US citizen has one. I know though, Satanistic common sense like that is sometimes difficult to understand. If he/she doesn't have a SS security number, then he/she doesn't get a check. I don't think that's all that awful a rule. Obviously some people are going to be upset, but the government can't knock on every door to ask people what their exceptions, or conditions might be.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Wes, we all get it. You don't. You can post as many articles as you want, that all say the same thing. The bottom line is that if you don't have a SS#, you don't get a check. Some people are going to be unhappy, but that's how the policy is written. It's not complicated. The reason why it takes years to get a SS when you are a foreignor, and marry a US citizen, is because of the countless fony marraiges that had taken place over the years. People would marry a citizen for 5 minutes, just to become legal. They don't allow that anymore. Now you actually have to prove you're legitimately a couple. So while I feel these people's pain, it is what it is. They don't have a SS#, cuz they aren't citizens yet. Of course, the articles never explain to you why they have to wait for a SS#.
  14. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

:rofl::rofl::blahblah:
    wes, I almost feel sorry for you.
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Lets try to dumb this down, a man(US Citizen) is married to a woman who is in the process of becoming a citizen... they file income taxes.. he is not eligible for the stimulus check because his wife has not yet attained a social security number.. comprehend. It even applies to US Soldiers who married a woman from another country and is in the process of getting her social security number, the soldier does not get the stimulus check..

Get it now.. does not make sense, penalize the US citizen because his wife does not have a social security number.
  16. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No, it says the "couple" don't. It never says the US citizen doesn't get it. That was...omitted.

Sorry GJAJ15.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I'm not an accountant so I can't speak to what someone said about taxes, soldiers, and combat, or what have you. The bottom line is that the person in question is not a citizen, therefore no SS#. I'd like to guess that if I were married to a foreignor who didn't have a SS#, I'd personally get a stimulus, but she wouldn't. I'm not sure what the confusion is here. It's unfortunate that some people who maybe should get a check, are not going to, but the government can't go into everyone's house and verfiy what their individual circumstances are. They have to set some arbitrary lines. I understand why they don't hand out a SS# the second someone is married, just as I can understand why the line was drawn at SS#'s with respect to stimulus checks.
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Sorry my ass you fool, from the IRS and the gov't do not lie.. here is the real deal.. emphasis added..

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179642,00.html

19. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Not really sure what you hoped to gain by posting that, as it clearly states that the spouse with a valid SSN can get stimulus money, while the one without, doesn't. It also says if they file jointly, they don't get the money. I'm not sure why that's a big deal, after all, as RW said they had to draw a line somewhere, didn't they? Or are you in favor of shelling out more money to illegals?
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Here is what you said:

This is the info from the IRS:

Here is your response..

Here is the point, and last comment I hope, if a soldier marries a foreign woman and they come back to the US.. she is working on becoming a citizen and she is here legally.. they file their taxes jointly as it is beneficial to do so, now the husband cannot get a economic stimulus check, because she is not a citizen.

Thjs has something to do with illegals, but more to do with people in this country legally and gainfully employed or married are not entitled to an economic stimulus check.. illegal aliens usually do not have social security numbers and probably do not file income taxes.. forget the hyperbole and hysteria, use some common sense. There is no advocacy for illegal aliens to get economic stimulus checks, all it points to is that some may be penalized because of their relationship with a person awaiting to become a citizen.. that is all, nothing more and nothing less..

If a man or woman is married to a legal alien, they probably would file jointly as this is the most beneficial way to do so.. but because they did so the citizen is not entitled to an economic stimulus check.. get it.
    Last edited: May 15, 2008