Welcome to PatsFans.com

Economic Recovery?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, Jul 8, 2009.

1. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What economic recovery? Each of the last six months unemployment has increased. Billions of dollars were thrown at it or, truth be told, are scheduled to be thrown at it.

Not good.

What to do is outlined in Michael Medved's book The Ten Big Lies About America. I summarize here.

(BTW, Patters's response is more about the efficacy of the FED in reducing the size and cyclical nature of recession. At least that's the opinion of Tyler Cowen who co-authors the tremendously popular Marginal Revolution blog. That discussion is here, but it's really only for uber policy and econ nerds like me.)
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I think it is still too early to tell the outcomes of anything, with the need for regulation of the initial bill, then having it filter down through the bureaucracy of the state.. not much happens in government this fast..

I am concerned that it takes this long, we are just about going to hit 12% unemployed in RI...
  3. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well, you may be right, DarrylS. But is it improper to ask when such a question may be asked?
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I do not know the answer to that, but never believed that anything in Gov't can happen this fast... my experience with Government paneceas for anything is that they usually are not...
  5. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Just search your heart, DarrylS, if a Republican had been in charge for six months after inheriting a sharp downturn and...

...things just kept getting worse notwithstanding a blank check to do whatever he wanted.

You'd give him more than six months?
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Do not know, in 2000 all of what happened was fairly benign up 9/11.. so can wonder all you want, really do not know.. tend to me a realist about most issues, government does not work all that fast. I do not fancy myself as an economist, never understood it all that well...

In the 80's I wrote policy for the state, and when bills were passed that effected us.. had to pour through 100's of pages the congressional record for the regs, and then had to write policy to support the regs.. then it had to be reviewed internally, by the lawyers and then after a public hearing it was promulgated.. so my experience that anything from DC that we expect to hit the ground running are based on that experience.. it is a long and tedious process to get it operationalized..

We will see, is all I can say..
  7. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Have to do more than provide an article by a Congresswoman to convince me that Liberalism is the cause, conservatism also contributed to this mess.. imo it is an easy answer to play political affiliation, more difficult to look at the sitz in its totality...

The issue is government spending, less is always better along with less bureaucracy...

BTW you never got back to me on that Reverend tazer video, just some honest questions...
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  9. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I live in NH and have seen this in effect in the recession of the first Bush.

[The late] Warren Brookes, a syndicated columnist, also made the point that time and time again NH--with less taxes and fewer regulations--bounces back more quickly from recessions from its contiguous neighbors. And it never seems to be as bad.

Apparently, these are facts that can't be dismissed.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

How about the Rev. Tazer Video...
  11. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ok, ok. Let me look.
  12. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

You forgot the one I bolded.
  14. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

What do you think we should cut from the budget? And should we cut taxes even if it means increasing our deficit?
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Here's a starter list from me from another thread :

- Cut every program by 10%. Defense included.
    - Cut every (except active military) federal paycheck by 10%. If the salary is > 75K the cut is 20%.
    - Don't allow "double dipping". While you get a federal paycheck you don't get social security.
    - Cut out the charitable deduction for church donations and make churches pay taxes.
    - Means test social security and medicare.
  17. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Cut as much as possible and cancel everything that was in the non-"stimulus" bill that hasn't been spent. And cut taxes that will increase economic growth and raise revenue.
  18. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I read today that they are thinking of offering $500 dollars stimulus check for first newborns this years. That otta make parenting easier.....:rofl:
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

The biggest problem right now is the obamans are focused on their agenda not on the current problem. They're so scared it's now or never on health care and cap & tax they're doing it instead of getting the economy back on it's feet; and, of all things, claiming those agenda items will create jobs. Pelosi claiming cap & tax was a jobs program was laughable.
  20. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How about following the Constitution for starters?

This would be a start: Transparency and Control: Improving Financial Management in Congress

I'm reminded of the very nice movie Dave. Remember it, Patters?

I like how it shows the idiocy of the federal budget as the accountant, played by Charles Grodin. And it also shows how the Teleprompter takes over, something Obama has turned into his security blanket.