Welcome to PatsFans.com

Economic Impact of Illegal Immigrants' protest: ZERO

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, May 3, 2006.

1. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

Stupid article. By his measure almost any group could stop working and it would have a negligible impact. If all white men stayed home for a day, the country would be okay (even better, with Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld out of the way). What he is ignoring is their impact on other industries: truckers, retailers, chefs, etc., and the amount of money, because of their illegally low wages, that the economy is losing. Sure, they don't have the economic impact of some groups, but they wouldn't be employed (at some risk to the employer) if they didn't have an economic impact. I think the impact of their protest was probably small, but certainly not zero, and certainly big enough to make a statement.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

More racism aimed at the "White Mother F-cker"

5. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patters first method of attack is to call an aticle in which he disagrees stupid.

very nice

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

True Turd, but unlike you, I back up my editorial comments with facts, and I'm not generally snide.

7. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I didnt see too many facts in your post. Just a lot of supposition and theory

8. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Are you white Patters? I am just curious because you seemingly connect to minorities very well and you give them your full support. But by in large minority communities do not support you, they do not support gay marriage or the gay lifestyle. Why do you think Kerry didn't come right out and support gay marriage? Just an observation. I am not trying to start a "if your white you have to support only whites" or any other kind of racist argument, I am simply pointing out a hypocrisy that I see in the minority community when it comes to "Special Rights".

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Colby,
    Your treading on dangerous ground with Patters on this one, believe me.
    :bricks:

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

Yes, I am white, but I'm a firm believer in an egalitarian society, and the fact that a large segment of the black community opposes gay marriage has nothing to do with anything. I support the rights of an impoverished white racist family to get health care, safe housing, and good educationc. I suupport the right of homophobic evangelicals to be treated with respect and treated fairly. I also believe our government has to continue to enact laws and pass legislation that protects the rights of minorities. I believe the purpose of government is build a better society for kids, and the key to doing so is to create a more equal playing field. Also, mgcolby, let's remember that white straight people have plenty of special rights, in the form of marriage, Social Security benefits for their kids, estate laws, etc. So, if you want to talk about "special rights," first clean up your own house before worrying about all the benefits that minorities enjoy!

11. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

WOW. Anther one with a lot of things wrong. First the only people who do not have the right to marry in this country are Gays, which is only half true because gay people can and do get married to the opposite sex, they just can't marry the same sex. So how is that only enjoyed by white people? Social Security is only available to whites? Black, Hispanic, Asian and every other race do not have estates and are not allowed to have them? Can a white person (non-gay) be a victim of a hate crime and have it prosecuted that way? Is there a law that states that a certain percentage of a company/governments workforce has to be white?

Please give me one example of a law that solely gives White straight males special rights? Just one!

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

Since we were talking about special rights, I was referring to straight people. I did not need to say white people, but I could have.

First, straight people have the right to marry, leave their Social Security to their spouse or kids, generally claim their spouse's estate if there is no will, etc. Those are some of their special rights that gay people generally do not have.

Second, hate crime laws to my knowledge refer to race, gender, and so on, so a black can certainly be prosecuted for a hate crime against a white person, and I'm sure that's happened.

Third, as far as whites go, our estate laws have generally been rewritten to protect the landed elite, who are usually white. That could be coincidence, but it could also be by design on the part of bigots. At any rate, if you're concerned about the decline of white power, eliminating the estate tax is certainly a smart move to slow it down.

Fourth, as far as laws saying that some percent of a company or government must be white, as you know quotas have been largely thrown out, but that said, white people often have cultural advantages in at least the white collar world. In addition, private clubs, where often opportunities are found and decisions are made, I believe are still allowed to exclude people on the basis of race, religion, etc. (That's a complicated issue, I know, but nonetheless it is an advantage that tends to benefit whites more than blacks.)

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

:singing: :singing:

If we let the Liberal Democrats try and build a better society for kids the kids will be destroyed, they are already getting blow jobs on the School Bus, they are being taught how masturbate in some of the more whacky liberal schools, the ACLU now defends NAMBLA the Sodomizers, Walt Disney is trying brainwash all kids with their Crap about broken marriages and "Shack Up Parents", they are being taught by some liberals that God is an ass hole, many liberal teachers are telling the kids that their President is a Professional Killer and that America is a bad, bad country, the list could go on and on.

My advice,
    If you have children, keep them as far away from Liberalism as you possibly can. Think to yourself, "do I want my child to be another Ted Kennedy or another Al Gore, or another Barbara Striesand. "HOLY CRAP"

14. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The purpose of government is to protect its citizen from threats foreign and domestic, build infrastructure and follow its 3 branches in accordance to the Constitution.

Thats it.

15. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

How?

I would not say special I would say traditional. Which I find to be wrong, I cannot understand why people care enough to exclude gays from marriage. At the same time the gay communtity is shooting itself in the foot by not accepting the term "civil unions" it would give them the same rights everyone else has. It would also be a good first step in getting the term marriage applied to their situation. So I have some sympathy for them but at the same time I feel they really can't complain since they rejected something that would essentially give them those rights.

I won't say there hasn't been with 100% conviction but I would love to see if you could find 1 case where it has.

That is the narrowmindeness that irrates the hell out of me about the far left. Any thing you guys don't like is automatically the fault of the rich white men. It complete BS and that is why most people don't take them seriously. I am not worried about declining white power, I am sick of the double standards in this country. I don't believe that any person or group should have special designations. Someone shouldn't get more time in jail because he beat up a guy based on his color then someone who beats up a guy based on the way he looked at him. Eliminating the estate tax has nothing to do with "white power" it has to do with the fact that money someone has saved should be taxed after he/she dies. Why should the government be allowed to double dip on taxing money that has already been taxed several times prior to being put into that person's account?

White people have a cultural advantage? Once again BS, if your smart and skilled a company will hire you. If you do a better job then the guy next to you, you will most likely get promoted. Race has about as much impact on promotions within an organization as office politics does. To isolate that as a "cultural advantage" is pure garbage and only reenforces the poor me mentality that a large portion of this society posess.

16. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  17. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Good find. I stand corrected. I find it funny that it took place in prison. A place where people segragate themselves by race. But good research nontheless.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

White people have special rights in the institutional sense. They have cultural advantages, especially in the white collar world. I've been involved enough in hiring people to see that anyone who's different can face an obstacle, not in the form of true racism, but in the form of not being able to hit it off with the generally white employer.

The main reason gays oppose the term civil unions is that it would not carry weight on the federal level, which means it would deprive them of various rights (Social Security, government aid to households, established law based on the term marriage). That said, many gays are okay with civil unions as a necessary first step.

I can't think of search terms to find any examples, but I know I've read of a few. That said, I think white on black hate crimes are more common because there are more whites and white racists are more organized into groups such as the KKK, Aryan Nation, and a number of others. I don't know why there aren't many truly anti-white black groups.

mgcolby, I'm not in any way accusing you of being a bigot. My point is simply that the elimination of the estate tax plays into the hands of those who fear the decline of white power. As far as that tax goes, no tax is fair, but society has a job to do -- which includes creating opportunities, providing safety, offering free education, keeping our water safe, etc. The money has to come from somewhere. Why not take a larger chunk from those who use and benefit most from the infrastructure we all contribute to?

You don't know the white collar world or I don't think you would have written that. What you're saying is true in government and probably in most blue collar jobs, but the white collar world is very inbred. When you need to hire someone, you ask around, and because your workplace is mostly white, the recommendations you get are usually of white people. In addition to that, when you interview someone, you're always looking for a "right fit," and someone from a similar background has a definite advantage. In all fairness to the employer, it's easier to evaluate someone with whom you identify than someone from a very different background.

19. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I vehemicly disagree with you on this point. Try walking through some bad hoods in Kansas City or LA at night and you'll see some black-on-white crime...

20. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

You don't even have to do that. Look at the "new Black Panthers" how are they not racist? If you run around screaming Black Power how are you any different then a group running around screaming White Power? Once again an example of the double standard and the perception that this country has that racism is only racism when it comes from a white person.