Welcome to PatsFans.com

Economic downturn hits U.S. police with double whammy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Oct 21, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Economic downturn hits U.S. police with double whammy | U.S. | Reuters

By Ross Colvin - Analysis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The growing financial crisis is a double whammy for police in many U.S. cities: They face budget cuts as they brace for an expected surge in burglaries, thefts and robberies.

"Police departments are going to have do more with less," said Chuck Wexler of the Police Executive Research Forum, a national law enforcement association based in Washington. "I expect police budgets for the foreseeable future to be flat or decline. That will mean less ability to put officers on extended tours and overtime during peak crime hours; it might mean deferring hiring officers for the future."

Although there has long been debate over the connection between crime and the economy, most of the criminologists, sociologists and police chiefs interviewed by Reuters forecast a rise in crimes in certain categories in the coming months as the United States heads deeper into recession territory. Crime has increased during every recession since the late 1950s, said Richard Rosenfeld, a sociologist at the University of Missouri-St Louis.

Those interviewed stressed they were not talking about an increase in overall levels of crime, which have been falling in the United States since the 1990s, but an uptick in opportunistic crimes like theft and burglary. They say most crimes will still be committed by career criminals but that others in the ranks of the newly unemployed could become drawn in for a variety of reasons.
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My neighbor is a fireman, and he's up in arms becuase the republican governor cut property taxes therefore their budget was "slashed"

I tried to explain to him that if he were to look at the cities budget and see HOW much money they already get to run this city, and see what crap they spend on, there is plenty of money to not only prevent any cut backs, but give you a raise too...

Don't be upset with less revenue, be upset with the waste that is stealing the funding to where it needs to go.

As for these cops, yes, if there is a major Main street issue where we all stop / can't pay our bills, Cops won't be able to inforce the amount of people staying in homes they aren't paying for... they will be overwhelmed and then stop reporting for work as their house is going to go away too...
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +451 / 6 / -2

How's that Quinn Bill working out? Cops in Peabody seem to be doing pretty good. BTW, what's it cost to put 10 cops on the street these days? Here in Chelsea, they post all the city earners, and guess what? In the top 20 there's about 15 cops, all pushing 6 figures plus. That's absurd. I'm all for paying policemen a good wage, but it's ridiculous now. Go to the Herald and see what some are making. Seriously, what's it cost for a city to put 10 additional cops on the street? $700k to a $1 million?
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

what's the point of 1-starring a thread like this? i mean really... if it's general principle because you just don't like me, that's fine... but own up, at least...
  5. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

The right wingers on this board are straight up cowards. I notice when they can't rebut facts, they give a thread one star. Pussies.
  6. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I never even look at the star rating of the threads. I read the title and decided from there if I want to read it or not.

Until I read this thread I had not considered what the ramification the current economic situation would have on our services like fire and police. It's one of the main reasons I come here. That and to let off a little steam, but that's another story.

I just glad I live in the middle of nowhere vs being in one of the larger towns or cities. I agree with you guys (Mossed and PC) that we are heading into the great dark. Oil will skyrocket and hyper inflation will be the result.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +451 / 6 / -2

First of all, why people even rate a thread is stupid, and complaining about a rating is just as dumb. Are people that childish in here, that some need to 1 star threads, and others b!tch? Sheesh...:nooo:
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

it's not really a complaint... it's an acknowledgement.. it's about principle, and other people's undeniable pettiness...
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 2 / -9

I don't even know how to give a star, I'm stupid, I spent 6 years in the 6th grade, I got married when I was in the 7th grade, I quit school in the 8th grade, I was 23 years old.
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 10 / -26

What is interesting I tried to give you 5 stars, but it did not change...

How the hell did you get a green badge of courage, that is not very fogical.. or maybe it it.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +451 / 6 / -2

I hear ya I guess. For the record, I've never rated a thread (so far as I can remember anyway), and have never given anyone a red dot. Whatever that is. ;)
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +290 / 10 / -26

Cops and overtime is just another ridiculous statistic, many of the cops do not get this much from their cities.. but from details.. if they do the road work thing the contractor pays them..

The other part, is that overtime is functional for many municipalities.. as it is often cheaper to have some one work overtime, rather than hire someone who will have to get benefits and eventually retirement..

The news does these great exposes every once and a while.. then it seems to fade out.. a cop who gets this many details and this much ot.. often does not have much else and many times he winds up sacrificing what he has.
  13. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Check out the requirements to be a Police Officer, almost everyone nows reuqires a college degree, and you are going to bithc that after working 20 or so hours of OVertime each week, there salaries are approaching $100,000....

Someone already tried to point out that most of Cops Overtime, is not paid for by the City, if a Cop is working a construction site, a bar, night club, concert, football game, etc. The entity that is putting on the event pays the Cops overtime, in most cases they are billed by the municipality and the municipailty then pays the Cops.

Training costs are very high for Police, and if you do not pay your Cops well, they will abandon you for a higher paying job someplace else. Meanwhile the town that underpays it's Cops has this large turnover, and much higher training budget, while the town who pays their Cops well, gets a much more stable workforce, and their training costs are minimal.

Cops on a whole are grossly underpaid, remember that teachers only work 185 days, and don't get shot at (mostly). Most Police Department actually pay for themsleves with drug money/property siezures, and traffic tickets.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, if the U.S. is cashing on drug trade, i can see how police departments would do the same..... again, there never was any "war on drugs".... but they sure do delight in throwing addicts in jail for 20 years...
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +290 / 10 / -26

It is ok to acknowledge me.. we can agree..
  16. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

Cops are criminals with badges.
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 3 / -13

I don't have a problem with their salaries at all. I'm just not going to foot the bill for retirement after 20....simple as that.

If you REALLY want to break it down, I can see major city cops being eligible for an earlier retirement than a cop from North Conway, NH. but still not after 20.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 3 / -13

IN the town I grew up in, they actually were former trouble makers. Back then, they didn't need college degrees and we had quite a few who lacked the common sense to be a public servant.
  19. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

all of them were and are jack-booted thugs who liked hurting people in high school. Why should that change? Like every other corrupt individual in the USA today, they are simply looking to get over financially, and they don't car who they have to f*ck over to get there. Sounds kind of familiar? I've just described our entire "society" except these MFers have guns and badges, which makes them even more dangerous.