PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ebner too Fast for the Camera (Rugby 7's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Ebner too fast for TV camera during 'sensational' try

Note this is Rugby 7's, a variant of traditional rugby with 7 men on a side instead of 15.
Note that to score a rugby try you have to "down" the ball across the goal line - none of this "crossing the plane" business. American football players switching to rugby sometimes have trouble with that concept, much to the consternation of their teammates watching the guy with the ball celebrating instead of downing it!

That's really cool. Thanks for that link!

That's awesome. Even more, notice the number he's wearing. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Ebner too fast for TV camera during 'sensational' try

Note this is Rugby 7's, a variant of traditional rugby with 7 men on a side instead of 15.
Note that to score a rugby try you have to "down" the ball across the goal line - none of this "crossing the plane" business. American football players switching to rugby sometimes have trouble with that concept, much to the consternation of their teammates watching the guy with the ball celebrating instead of downing it!

This is actually rugby 10s, a more obscure varient with 10 men per side.

Why do I get errors on those videos? I'm running Firefox.

This browser does not support video playback.

This is actually rugby 10s, a more obscure varient with 10 men per side.

Counting the players, you are correct. But why on earth would they be playing that very obscure variant (I'd never even heard of it) given the Olympics is for 7's?

This browser does not support video playback.

Try this direct link:

BBs watching this and thinking he has his next running back :p

I don't know the sport well but that looked damn impressive.

As the bumper sticker says, once and a while on weekends catch a bit of Rugby 7's... tough game.

images

He has the physical tools

Not that great straight-line speed (4.53) but his 3-cone (6.59) is a fantastic number - one place out of the top ten for all positions over all of the last 5 combines.

Not that great straight-line speed (4.53) but his 3-cone (6.59) is a fantastic number - one place out of the top ten for all positions over all of the last 5 combines.
Yea 4.5 for a RB is ok- not great.

The 3-cone surprised me. Didn't know he was THAT nimble/quick.

Counting the players, you are correct. But why on earth would they be playing that very obscure variant (I'd never even heard of it) given the Olympics is for 7's?

The Tournament was Hong Kong 10s, it is held in conjunction with HK 7's, it is considered a more "Social" tournament, in that it is made up mostly of touring sides. There isn't much social about the level of play as many of the sides were made up of former internationals, and high level club players. It is a bit of a unique tournament, but the attraction of 10's is that it allows a wider range of players (props, second rows etc) to play (simmilar to 15s) while still offering the pace, highlights and quick games from 7's. As a prop who likes to run in the back line, it is my favorite format.

He actually ended up getting named to the USA 7's side for the HK 7's tournament as well, but I don't believe he ever saw the field. Carlin Isles was a late scratch, so Ebner was added to the roster since he was already in Hong Kong. Given then number of lopsided games that the US played last weekend it is safe to say Mike Friday doesn't think he is up to speed with the current players.

He was named to the side again for Singapore, so he will have another shot at getting playing time this weekend.

Last edited:

It's faster than Edelman's.

Maybe RB not such a good idea:

Maybe RB not such a good idea:

But, he turned the ball, which means that is a good play by Ebner. He established the line when he flipped on his back and prevented the other team from taking the ball off him. That was actually a very good Rugby play.

He was terrible today, if they bench him early, they win the match against NZ.. Dont get me wrong i like Ebner a lot.. And about the video that he got stuffed, that was an awesome play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back