Welcome to PatsFans.com

Easy way to fix the gay "marriage" issue

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DaBruinz, Apr 10, 2009.

1. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

One of the biggest problems with the gay "marriage" issue is that there are some who want to force religious groups to allow the ceremonies to take place in their holy buildings. And, currently, the people supporting gay marriage have the point since many of the clergy are also recognized as being able to legally perform the services, hence a mixing of Church and State.

If the changed the laws so that it was a Civil Union License instead of a marriage license, then free's the religions from being obligated to allow same sex unions to occur in their facilities because they wouldn't be performing state function. They would be performing a religious one.

The only thing that changes for people who are heterosexual couples who chose to take their vows in a religious venue is that they would have a JP in attendance to perform the civil functions.

I think its a more than fair solution to the situation. The sanctity of the religious facilities are protected and the people seeking same sex civil unions get their recognition.
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

so you are suggesting changing all "marriages" to just "civil unions," basically?
  3. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

An interesting aside re: gay marriage is that not a single thing in daily life in Massachusetts has changed since it was legalized here. Are the right-wingers still opposed to it? It's made a bunch of people happy, and hasn't really hurt anybody.
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

If we are to have equality in society then gays should be afforded the same rights as heterosexuals. Why should they settle for less? Heterosexuals running to vote on what gays should be allowed to do :confused2: that's messed up IMO.
  5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

I've been pushing this for years. Get the State out of our bedrooms. Civil union contracts would also have the advantage of being in any form the partners choose, i.e., they could go for 5 years with option years, or whatever. And nobody could MAKE the religious institutions perform their sacred rituals if you don't make the cut.

In both my marriages, I have married non-Jews. The first time we scoured the local countryside to find a priest and a rabbi who would both participate. We lost the priest. The rabbi was an openly gay guy whose congregation was primarily a local college. But he knew the magic words, even if we did stick a Robert Frost poem in the middle of it. He also threw a hissy fit at the rehearsal when wife 1's sister had different ideas on who should walk where and when... but whatevah. We checked off all the boxes, we loved each other truly madly and deeply, and we were divorced a few years later.

My second marriage was at a justice of the peace -- also a wonderful experience in its own way. Got to see a parade of people: a carribean couple pretty up there in age (like us, I supppose, just a little older, late 50s perhaps,) who seemed to have no particular "story" I could guess at; a gorgeous young woman who looked dressed like a hooker and had a baby carriage (no lie,) and a young man who looked like he didn't know he didn't have to do it; a few others less colorful... most were in and out in 10 minutes, but I think we got a little longer. He used a ceremony he wrote and sent in for the final episode of Scarecrow and Mrs. King. Apparently they got married at the end, and -- I don't quite know how he knew it was coming -- he got to write their ceremony. Or it could be that he just saw it and sent away for it to use for people who didn't seem to have a particular story. I am sort of unclear on the explanation, whether he wrote it or he sent away for it. But it's was a very touching little spiel... the wife even cried.

She and I accept each other and can stand each other, which we recognize -- being old -- aren't very common states of affairs out there. I told her once when I was pissed at her, and she said "you hate me right now don't you?", "Honey, I hate you less than anyone."

Anyway: I'm pretty certain the grand and wonderful and lauded institution of marriage covers a variety of mockeries, and a few really beautiful unions. Point is, it isn't the state's business who you pick or why you pick them. If you are a church/synagog/mosquegoer, and accept a theology of marriage, more power to you! Go, get a beautiful ceremony in line with your traditions, mazel tov! If you prefer an internet druid guy to marry you in a chatroom, ditto.

One person's marriage can not make another's a mockery... but Bruinz is right: why make it the country's business?

Let the gubmit deal with the contracts, and leave the flowers and prayers to the churches or individuals.

PFnV
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

I got married at some justice of the peace dude's house. No honeymoon, no fireworks, no loveboat ... none of that crap Cinderella pretend crap. No limo, no wedding party no frills. We did make it a point to invite a few table of people who loved to drink because that always makes for the best weddings ... well anyways I am off topic here. The marriages where people think they have a great one are usually the ones that suck.

Marriages where you're friends 1st and partners second IMO work the best. That's why I feel gays should have the same rights as hetero sexuals. Being denied marriage means their relationship is somehow different? I don't think so. I am sure some gays get married for the sex, some because they are best friends and some for convenience or for the $$$ ... the same as the rest of us insane married people.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

That wouldn't work because this isn't about having the rights of marraige. It's about having the same title as heterosexual couples. It's about forcing acceptance of a lifestyle some people don't approve of. I'd bet any sum of money that the gay community would disapporve of your idea Bruinz.
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

When marriage is illegal, only outlaws will be married... and it'll be cool again!

But seriously, folks - it's not about forcing a title on anything. It's about equal treatment under the law. What, is the law written to give you a moral gold star? Screw that. You shouldn't give a good goddam whether the state says you are now morally partnered. You should only care if the state will enforce the contract, and if so how.

PFnV
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yeah, what a brilliant idea: legalize sex and "marriage" between a man and another man (or boy), a woman and another woman (or girl). That'll make the Taliban and al qaeda respect us!! That'll make them stop their plans to nuke New York and Washington!! Yup, and the Russians and Chinese will suddenly want to make nice with us all over the world because they will see how "enlightened" the United States has become!!! Yeah, and Iran will shut down its nuke bomb program, and North Korea will hammer their missiles into plough-shares. And the pirates off Somalia will suddenly give back all the ships and money they have extorted, and will all go back to fishing for a living.

You same-sex proponents and enablers are just so smart!!!! You really DO think things through and have the very BEST interests of America and the world in mind.

.... Freaking morons.

//
  10. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Lucky for you we don't limit civil rights according to what they want. If we did whites wouldn't be allowed to marry Koreans either.

You really are an very unstable individual.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

No need for hysteria in a fairly intelligent discussion.. pretty confident that in some cave in Afghanistan Bin Laden and crew are trying to figure out a way to influence american states so they can pass civil unions laws as part of a master strategy to topple the government. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In reality civil unions will do none of what you expect, and not make our country any less strong than it already is..
  12. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

NOTHING could possibly be MORE unstable than same sex relations. Nature didn't make us that way.

//
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This is not a joke, DarrylS. The more movement TOWARD same-sex recognition the weaker we become as a nation. And the weaker we make ourselves the more we INVITE attack and other disasters. Nature may be patient for a time period but when the envelope gets pushed too far, it WILL explode.

//
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Who's "WE"? What do you mean by that? Are you having this same problem in Lithuania?

And why do you want the Taliban and Al Queda to "respect us"?
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I am not joking there was an intelligent discussion going on about Civil Unions and you jumped in talking about N. Korea, Bin Laden and stuff... hysteria does not lend itself to the continuance of the topic at hand..

Do you have proof it would weaken the nation??
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You set up false and imaginary premises about the end of the world if gay people get married and then you call anyone who disagrees with your fantasies "freaking morons".

...and you were doing so well!...:(
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You are right on. I agree 100%.

I don't know when the religions and the state crossed paths, but it was a big mistake. Gay people don't choose to be gay any more than a Swede chooses to be a Swede or a tall person chooses to be a tall person. I think the research in the near future will show that genes play a much more important part in sexual preference than we ever imagined.
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Who Is The Bride
    Who Is The Groom

(you may now kiss the bride) :confused:

"look Mary, who's that good looking guy over there"
    "thats my brother's wife"
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You really don't get it, do you??

Wistah's a nice place and all, but you really need to get out more.

//
  20. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You don't get it, either. You think America can just go along doing anything she pleases, never suffer any consequences for stupidity.

Ask the radical Islamists why they hate America. Ask them what they think of "gay rights". Then ask Russia and China.

Talk about myopia...

//