PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Easterbrook - Unbelievable!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

letekro

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080202&sportCat=nfl

"Also Saturday, Mike Fish reported on ESPN that St. Louis' walk-through was devoted to red-zone plays -- all new plays and new formations the Rams had not shown during the season. Going into that Super Bowl, the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf" was the league's highest-scoring team. In that game, St. Louis was held to a field goal in the first half. When the Rams reached the red zone, they bogged down, as if New England knew what plays were coming. If the Patriots secretly taped the Rams' walk-through, then stopped the red-zone plays the Rams showed in that walk-through, then won that Super Bowl by three points, then logic says New England materially benefited from cheating in the Super"

The Rams went one-for-one in the red zone in SB XXXVI!!!! This is an outrageous, malicious lie that his editors chose to overlook. He must be stopped!

Last edited:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080202&sportCat=nfl

"Also Saturday, Mike Fish reported on ESPN that St. Louis' walk-through was devoted to red-zone plays -- all new plays and new formations the Rams had not shown during the season. Going into that Super Bowl, the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf" was the league's highest-scoring team. In that game, St. Louis was held to a field goal in the first half. When the Rams reached the red zone, they bogged down, as if New England knew what plays were coming. If the Patriots secretly taped the Rams' walk-through, then stopped the red-zone plays the Rams showed in that walk-through, then won that Super Bowl by three points, then logic says New England materially benefited from cheating in the Super"

The Rams went one-for-one in the red zone in SB XXXVI!!!! This is an outrageous, malicious lie that his editors chose to overlook. He must be stopped!

Easterbrook has never let facts stand in the way of a good hit-piece, so why should he bother to start now?

Let's step back off the ledge. Letekro, don't get me wrong, as I'm not picking on you, but this situation must not take away from the anticipation of the big game. To even consider these allegations at this time is silly.

There's a game tomorrow between two good teams. One has had the most incredible season to date in NFL history. To think about anything else at this time takes away from this historical weekend. Don't allow that to happen.

The Rams went one-for-one in the red zone in SB XXXVI!!!!

It's amusing that he would F that one up so badly. Predictable, but amusing.

Why do you give him a forum here? We all know he's trash.
I wish Patriot nation would stop these self inflicted wounds.
Embrace the hate and ignore the haters. You'll be much happier for it.
I haven't read any of this crap and won't.
Show me a tape then we'll talk. Until then IGNORE IT!!!!!

Easterbrook has never let facts stand in the way of a good hit-piece, so why should he bother to start now?

Yes, but he could always hide behind the facade of opinion or judgment. Now, he is taking easily verifiable, quantifiable fact and turning it 180 degrees to make his point. This is clearly a new low for him.

Easterbrook has already proven that he is unable to form an unbiased opinion every time he has written an article since the season started.

He should try reading what Fish wrote. The Rams didn't get into the Red Zone until the 4th quarter.

This was Easterbrook's story all along and they just let someone else break it because Greg's credibility was already blown. ESPN is fast becoming a place where promising sports reporters careers go to die.

Easterbrook has already proven that he is unable to form an unbiased opinion every time he has written an article since the season started.

This is a willful misstatement of fact that serves as the premise of the entire article.

If he states the fact, instead of lying, there IS NO ARTICLE.

This is far worse than his usual biased opinions.

I'm sorry for giving Easterbrook play here, but this is absolutely beyond the pale.

Last edited:
I love this part of the article:

Goodell's remarks were puzzling in several respects. First, if the Patriots were guilty only of occasional sideline taping, this would seem to merit a letter of reprimand. So why were the Patriots hit with the harshest fine in NFL history? When the scandal first broke, Goodell used extremely strong language about New England's sins. Now, he was implying the whole thing was no big deal.

LOL! Wasn't Easterbrook and others crying how easy the Pats got off? Did he and other say that the fact that Belichick wasn't suspended that it was some kind of crime in itself? Didn't Easterbrook say that the Pats got a light sentence for a heavy crime?

Now he is talking about the Pats getting the harshest fine in NFL history. Now he is questioning why the Pats would get such a harsh penalty for a minor crime.

Really?!? He can't have it both ways. Easterbrook cried that the Pats got a slap on the wrists back in September. So according to Easterbrook, the sentence fit what Goodell said about the crime on Friday. It was a fitting sentence for no big of a deal.

bro, remember Fox at 6:15 tomorrow, okay? LEts watch 19-0...

Suspend Easterbrook

He has already been reprimanded by the ombudsman at ESPN at least once this year for his reporting on spygate. Now he writes the following:

""Also Saturday, Mike Fish reported on ESPN that St. Louis' walk-through was devoted to red-zone plays -- all new plays and new formations the Rams had not shown during the season. Going into that Super Bowl, the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf" was the league's highest-scoring team. In that game, St. Louis was held to a field goal in the first half. When the Rams reached the red zone, they bogged down, as if New England knew what plays were coming. If the Patriots secretly taped the Rams' walk-through, then stopped the red-zone plays the Rams showed in that walk-through, then won that Super Bowl by three points, then logic says New England materially benefited from cheating in the Super"

Seriously, read this part again:

"When the Rams reached the red zone, they bogged down, as if New England knew what plays were coming."

He says this right after talking about the Rams being held to a field goal in the first half. The field goal was a 50 yard field goal. They never GOT to the redzone to run the plays the Patriots supposedly taped. They never got closer than the 32. That ain't the redzone.

In the second half, they entered the redzone once. They scored a touchdown. They drove to the 26 on another occasion. They scored on a 26 yard touchdown. They were never even remotely close to the redzone on any other drives of the game.

Easterbrook is a fraud and should be suspended for this.

I'd ask this thread be kept separate from the other thread on Easterbrook as this one is specific in linking to the ombudsman. I don't want it to get lost in the middle as this as bad a distortion of facts as any columnist on a major site could make.

Here is the ombudsman's e-mail:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=2826900

I would ask that anyone who feels Easterbrook has been unprofessional in the way he wrote the above to write to the ombudsman and ask for action. I would specifically ask for a suspension given that he has been reprimanded in the past for his "reporting" on this same subject. Be polite and simply state the facts. He lied. There is no way around that. In a major column and simply to fit his story. That deserves at least a week or two suspension IMO.

J D Sal

Last edited:
Re: Suspend Easterbrook

"When the Rams reached the red zone, they bogged down, as if New England knew what plays were coming."

:confused: :confused:

I think the Rams DID score a TD on their sole redzone possession.

Actually, you just proved that any taping, if it exisited NEVER materially benifited the Patriots. Lets take the HUGE assumption that did tape the walkthrough. If they only entered the Red zone once, resulting in a score, and the DRIVE CHART indicates exactly that (only got inside the 25 1 and scored at 9:33 4th), then there was nothing usable gained from the tape (if it even existed).

After scrutinizing the tape all night, Bill Belichick came up with the following:

Willie -- if there's a big play in the red zone in the 4th quarter, hug Marshall Faulk with both arms and hope they don't call it.

:0)

At the end of the day, though, whether or not it benefitted the Patriots seems to be a little besides the point. It would be tough to prove one way or the other -- it would still be crummy.

But we have one unconfirmed source in a tabloid newspaper against a vigorous Patriots denial. I know which one I'm picking for now, but I really hope nothing further comes out.

I have known JD Sal for about a decade now as the voice of reason and clarity. For JD to make such a suggestion makes me take it all the more seriously... and the way he throws Eastercrook's stats back in his face is outstanding.

What a reprehensible thing to write. Unfortunately I have the feeling all ESPN will do is quietly edit the column to take out the factually inaccurate parts.

What a jerk.

He should try reading what Fish wrote. The Rams didn't get into the Red Zone until the 4th quarter.

This was Easterbrook's story all along and they just let someone else break it because Greg's credibility was already blown. ESPN is fast becoming a place where promising sports reporters careers go to die.

And when the did they scored a touchdown :rolleyes:

Other than that they never got inside the 25. Here's the DRIVE CHART. Even if a tape of a Red Zone plays walkthrough existed, it didn't help the Pats one bit in that game, cuz the ones they ran were successful 100% of the time.

What a tool he is.

Last edited:

I had enough of this guy. I had to speak my mind and decided to send a lengthy comment to ESPN. It may not make a difference but I had to say something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes