PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

East-West Shrine Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two DE's for the East squad bare watching; Whitten and Young. They have the body length and arm length the Patriots desire.

What about the Army TE, is that correct 6'9"? That's the TE BB needs to draft. What DB or LB can match up against a 6'9" TE?

So the Pats will have a TE . . . in 2014. :)

More importantly: could Navy guy Belichick actually bring himself to draft a guy from Army? ;)

Last edited:
Ohio State's DL Doug Worthington is one guy I'm going to really be watching for today. A potential fit at 3-4 DE with a great motor. Me like. :)

More importantly: could Navy guy Belichick actually bring himself to draft a guy from Army? ;)
In a heart beat if he thought the guy was going to develop as a TE or OT.

He's a legitimate 6'9" according to that table. If he has anything resembling hands, he is a nightmare for opposing defenses. If he spends the next four years learning to jump, think of what damage he could do in the red zone?

BB pull the trigger!

In a heart beat if he thought the guy was going to develop as a TE or OT.

The TE getting the best reviews from multiple observers is Andrew Quarless (6'4", 248, Penn State, 33.8" arms, 10" hands, projected 4.74 forty).

"Surprisingly fluid and graceful; makes good adjustments to the situation and to the throw; explosive off the line, deceptively fast; smooth route-runner, consistently open for hot read, very good hands, shields catch from defenders well; aggressive blocker, breaks off his own route properly to block for another receiver." (Compiled quotes).

By contrast, Villanueva is said to be slow with suspect hands. OTOH, it would be hilarious to watch a 5'9", 177# CB try to cover (or tackle!) a guy 6'9", 277#. It would be some epic fail for the defense to even accidentally match up that way, but still.

Quarless was originally projected to the 7th round, now maybe up to 5th round. Could be even higher after the game.

The TE getting the best reviews from multiple observers is Andrew Quarless (6'4", 248, Penn State, 33.8" arms, 10" hands, projected 4.74 forty).

"Surprisingly fluid and graceful; makes good adjustments to the situation and to the throw; explosive off the line, deceptively fast; smooth route-runner, consistently open for hot read, very good hands, shields catch from defenders well; aggressive blocker, breaks off his own route properly to block for another receiver." (Compiled quotes).

By contrast, Villanueva is said to be slow with suspect hands. OTOH, it would be hilarious to watch a 5'9", 177# CB try to cover (or tackle!) a guy 6'9", 277#. It would be some epic fail for the defense to even accidentally match up that way, but still.

Quarless was originally projected to the 7th round, now maybe up to 5th round. Could be even higher after the game.

Draft 6'9" Villanueva and 6'8" Jimmy Graham from Miami. That should improve our red zone offense. :D

It'd be nice if ESPFN could pull the Middle Tenn St vs Western Kentucky game and put on the Shrine Bowl... I'm sure the 6 people watching it won't care.

It'd be nice if ESPFN could pull the Middle Tenn St vs Western Kentucky game and put on the Shrine Bowl... I'm sure the 6 people watching it won't care.
No kidding - stinking NFL Network needs to get off the pot and cover the Shrine game the way they cover the senior bowl.

While we're waiting, has anyone listed a numerical roster?

Quarles has had some serious character issues. He'd likely be 2nd or 3rd TE drafted if not.

What a horrid job of coverage so far - why in the devil would I want to look at Keenan McCardle when there's a play being run?

What a horrid job of coverage so far - why in the devil would I want to look at Keenan McCardle when there's a play being run?

No rundown of #'s, too many cutaways... bah.

In the first half, I think Kyle Calloway made some ground back after a bad week of practice.

O'Brien Scofield has had a great game, lining up at OLB and nickel ILB. He's looked decent in coverage, and is shedding blocks well.

'Brien Scofield has had a great game, lining up at OLB and nickel ILB. He's looked decent in coverage, and is shedding blocks well.

Does he have a future at SILB?

A former undersized pass rushing DE, who's good at stacking and shedding, but is on the short/small side to play 3-4 OLB, and who has a great motor ... sounds vaguely familiar. :singing:

No rundown of #'s, too many cutaways... bah.

In the first half, I think Kyle Calloway made some ground back after a bad week of practice.

O'Brien Scofield has had a great game, lining up at OLB and nickel ILB. He's looked decent in coverage, and is shedding blocks well.
It was so nice of them to show a replay of his interception - goat kissing clowns. :enranged:

Chancellor looks like he could make a nice Tampa 2 WLB.

Still liking Blair white and Alem from LSU seems to have some speed coming off the edge. Still liked Dixon also.

There are some interesting receivers in this game in Freddie Barnes, Blair White, Alric Arnett and Emmanuel Sanders. I wouldn't mind the Patriots drafting one of them with a late round pick.

#42 playing Sam looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye