PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

East-West Shrine Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I've read almost nothing about Greg Hardy in any of the practice reports all week. Is he practicing? If so, he certainly isn't distinguishing himself against what would have been considered "inferior" competition coming into the game.

I've read almost nothing about Greg Hardy in any of the practice reports all week. Is he practicing? If so, he certainly isn't distinguishing himself against what would have been considered "inferior" competition coming into the game.

I've read several things about him. They're all of the "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" variety. He is not having a good week.

I've read several things about him. They're all of the "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" variety. He is not having a good week.

There is no way Greg Hardy will be a Patriot. Bill doesn't like these flash one play, disappear the next type guys. He wants solid effort on every play so he can scheme. Hardy will be like Michael Johnson lats year. He'll end up falling to the 3rd round and we will all say "why can't we take a chance on Hardy". He's not our sort of player

Last edited:
I like Brandon Carter, monstrous guard, Blair White, WR and Andre Dixon RB from this group.

Unless NE is going to revamp the offense and go to a Dallas/Pittsburgh/Washington power running game, I wouldn't set my heart on Carter.

Both rosters with arm length and hand width - Calloway and Marinelli are short armed mofos. Saffold matches up well with Light.

East-West Shrine Game official weigh-in results | National Football Post

I'm confused. According to your link, Calloway and Saffold both have 33 1/4" arms. HOw can one be a "short armed mofo" and the other "match up well"? I understand that Calloway is a bit taller than Saffold - is that what you're looking at?

Marinelli does seem to have short arms. Bummer.

I'm confused. According to your link, Calloway and Saffold both have 33 1/4" arms. HOw can one be a "short armed mofo" and the other "match up well"? I understand that Calloway is a bit taller than Saffold - is that what you're looking at?

Marinelli does seem to have short arms. Bummer.
33" arms on a 6'4" lineman is borderline, Saffold is just over about where Light is. 33" arms on a 6'6" lineman is short, you want those big guys for their reach, you may lose something in foot speed with the long legs, but the reach cancels that out.

Chris Kaufmann at UniversalDraft.com appeared to acknowledge that Hardy started the week being pretty inconsistent in the pass rush but got better each day. His WED practice note was basically that Hardy's pass rush was coming around well, AND that he had excelled at setting the edge all week, AND that he was moving like a linebacker and showing some flashes of potential in coverage. I also got the impression from all the practice reports I read that all these guys tend to pay more attention, in situations like this, to the relatively unknown players than the ones they've seen a lot before. IDK - maybe hoping they'll make a big discovery, that hidden gem who they can predict great things for before anybody else does.

So, maybe with Reuter (CBS) and Lammey (Draftguys), etc., it was more a case of them focusing exclusively on Hardy's pass rush (when they were paying attention to him at all) and having Superman-like expectations of him.

I mean, really, all we have to do is wait till tomorrow afternoon. My guess is that he pancakes the opposing QB at least twice. Then all will be right with the world once again.

;)

33" arms on a 6'4" lineman is borderline, Saffold is just over about where Light is. 33" arms on a 6'6" lineman is short, you want those big guys for their reach, you may lose something in foot speed with the long legs, but the reach cancels that out.

John Estes (OC, Hawaii, 6'2", 295#) has virtual stumps at 30.25", but he got positive comments from everybody I read for each practice, so . . . .

John Estes (OC, Hawaii, 6'2", 295#) has virtual stumps at 30.25", but he got positive comments from everybody I read for each practice, so . . . .
Yes, but he's under 6'2", his "stumps" are more in keeping with his height.

Yes, but he's under 6'2", his "stumps" are more in keeping with his height.

How about "Wee Willie" Williams, 4'8" and 300#, whose 20" arms are proportional to his height. It would be awfully hard for opposing DEs to get under his pads. :p

How about "Wee Willie" Williams, 4'8" and 300#, whose 20" arms are proportional to his height. It would be awfully hard for opposing DEs to get under his pads. :p
And awful hard for him to get into the opponent's pads or for him to get around into position on combo blocks, and he must suck trying to get to the second level.

The two DE's for the East squad bare watching; Whitten and Young. They have the body length and arm length the Patriots desire.

What about the Army TE, is that correct 6'9"? That's the TE BB needs to draft. What DB or LB can match up against a 6'9" TE?

The two DE's for the East squad bare watching; Whitten and Young. They have the body length and arm length the Patriots desire.

What about the Army TE, is that correct 6'9"? That's the TE BB needs to draft. What DB or LB can match up against a 6'9" TE?
A second look at Whitten will help, he looked awfully stiff and not too "sudden" in their bowl game against South Carolina. I did want to check out Villanueva too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes