PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early take on the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not going on the Practice Squad, he'd be claimed quickly when we released him to get him there. Brown is a very talented player, hopefully he can live up to the talent.
There are currently four DL behind the big 5: Hill, Smith, S.Thomas, and Brown. Thomas looked better then Hill in pre-season, but had Practice Squad eligibility so moving him back to the squad made sense. I'm not sure why he went down to the Practice Squad over Smith, except Smith was a more natural fit at NT and BB wanted him available behind Wright. Barring injury, Brown will be the rawest DL, he's also just 5 lbs. heavier then Jarvis Green and seems a better fit at DE even if he does learn NT.

Unless Hill suddenly busts loose and plays to his potential this year, I expect the competition for the two slots behind Wright to be between Smith, Thomas, and Brown. Thomas could be a third season Practice Squad player like Billy Yates last season, Smith is ineligible as I understand the rules - and he's the more natural NT anyway, that leaves Brown as the one player who needs to develop further and has eligibility.

#24. Brandon Merriweather: Before the draft, I was concerned he was too small for S, and not quick enough for CB. Now that he has been taken in rd 1 by my team, I am his biggest fan.

#127.Kareem Brown. Objectively: A probable bust. Through Red white and blue glasses: If he cares enough to apply himself has starting caliber talent.

#171. Clint Oldenburg: Seems like a marginal athlete by the measurables. I'd like to know his arm length and hand size.

#180. Justin Rogers: IMO upside is an impact special teamer.

#202. Mike Richardson: I believe Richardson can start in the NFL. Not immediately, it will take time to wash the bad defensive coaching off him. Maybe by year 3. I give this pick a thumbs up.

#208. Justise Hairston: Has excellent size/speed/quickness. Played at Rutgers. Big back. I'm going to dream we got a diamond in the rough. A 39" vertical at 220 lbs is tremendous. We'll have to see if he has any vision.

#209 Corey Hilliard: I'd like to know his arm length and hand size. A mauler, great time on agility drills for a 320 lber. His size and versatility at left and right tackle are intriguing. Supposedly not a natural knee bender, which means Left Tackle is a long shot.

#211: Oscar Lua: does not have the athleticism to start in the NFL IMO. I wish him the best.

#247: Mike Elgin: has freakish quickness and looks like an ideal long term project at Center.

And G'bless every single one of them.
IF C.JACKSON pans out I think last years draft would have to be considerd very good to great.This year it's the off season and draft day trades that could turn out good to great in mhop.

Last edited:
Are you serious? I'm not a Miami fan, I've been a Nebraska fan since childhood.

That's OK, too, being a fan of a team sometimes has nothing to do with taste.

Seriously, though, BB did his due diligence with Brown. If he has any kind of motor he'll displace Hill in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back