PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early results in on New PAT rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

crew1954

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Success rate through 2 weeks is 133/141, 94.3%. 8 missed kicks in 2 weeks, whereas all last season there were only 5 missed kicks during the regular season out of 1267 attempts, a 99.6% success rate.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe it was Field Yates I saw tweeting about this a few days ago. It's clearly had an effect though 94% + is still highly successful. I wonder how many of those misses came from kickers who won't be or aren't employed by one of the 32 teams, if any?

Hope it doesn't make it to the regular season. It's going to be stupid when the weather gets bad. I'd rather games be decided in OT than on extra points.

Yes, I believe it was Field Yates I saw tweeting about this a few days ago. It's clearly had an effect though 94% + is still highly successful. I wonder how many of those misses came from kickers who won't be or aren't employed by one of the 32 teams, if any?
Perhaps as many as blocked punts because of inexperienced deep snappers

I personally like Tom Coughlin's idea on the extra point. Move it in to the one-yard line. You would have a lot more two-point attempts, which is one of the most exciting plays in football. You may even see the return of the fullback on NFL rosters.

I think they should be eliminated.

Give the scoring team an option, walk off the field, TD gets 7 points.

Go for extra point, succeed, get 1 extra point, fail, have 1 point deducted.

I would keep the PAT as has been in years past, as well as the option for a 2-point conversion.

What I WOULD do, though, is add a new rule to the kick-off. If the kicker can, from the kickoff location, place the ball between the uprights as for a Field Goal or 2-point conversion, then the kicking team is awarded an extra point, and the kickoff continues as normal with the receiving team bringing the ball out to the 20, as if it were a touchback.

In effect, if the kickoff ball goes through the uprights, it's considered a touchback, but the kicking team is awarded a single point. If you have a good kicker, that might make things VERY interesting.

I like that they moved the extra point back. In my opinion they could move it even further like Belichick wanter. The extra point that we have now is just stupid. It's as close to an automatic point as it can be, but with the added risk of injury. It serves absolutely no point. Moving it back creates more of a challenge and could make it a play that actually means something.

I like that they moved the extra point back. In my opinion they could move it even further like Belichick wanter. The extra point that we have now is just stupid. It's as close to an automatic point as it can be, but with the added risk of injury. It serves absolutely no point. Moving it back creates more of a challenge and could make it a play that actually means something.
Precisely why BB wants it moved back even farther. As he said, it's not a competitive play in the NFL, thereby pointless to run.

EDIT: And to avoid any confusion, by "BB" I do NOT mean Brandon Browner but rather Bill Belichick.

Last edited:
Personally, I like Tom Coughlin's suggestion better. Put the ball on the one and make going for 2 more of a common occurrence.

Let's face it, even if they move the ball even farther back as Belichick suggested, it still doesn't make me want to watch the extra point anymore unless it is in the final moments of a game and that extra point will either win the game for a team or tie them up.

Commissioner always has to be tinkering with something. How would you like this guy in your fantasy league. He seems more suited as commissioner of WWE where he could always tinker with something. He would have a blast there tinkering with people and things and making moves doing what's best for business.Goodell would be a natural.

Personally, I like Tom Coughlin's suggestion better. Put the ball on the one and make going for 2 more of a common occurrence.

Let's face it, even if they move the ball even farther back as Belichick suggested, it still doesn't make me want to watch the extra point anymore unless it is in the final moments of a game and that extra point will either win the game for a team or tie them up.
I'd be watching it every time because I'd figure the chances of a miss go up highly from where they have been. A missed XP can affect what happens later in the game. If it got to where ~1.5/10 was missed, I'd watch every single one.

My preference in this is just to do away with the XP and give teams the option to go for 2-points from the 2 yard line, as they have now. If they want the XP, give it to them.

As I've said before, I don't understand how a Patriots fan can remember Vinatieri make arguably the most clutch kick in NFL history against the Raiders and then agree the rule should be changed to where he would have needed to make that clutch kick TWICE for us to advance.

I think they should be eliminated.

Give the scoring team an option, walk off the field, TD gets 7 points.

Go for extra point, succeed, get 1 extra point, fail, have 1 point deducted.

But then they wouldn't be able to shoehorn in 27 commercials after each score!

I'd be watching it every time because I'd figure the chances of a miss go up highly from where they have been. A missed XP can affect what happens later in the game. If it got to where ~1.5/10 was missed, I'd watch every single one.

My preference in this is just to do away with the XP and give teams the option to go for 2-points from the 2 yard line, as they have now. If they want the XP, give it to them.

Unless the odds of making an extra point drops below something like 80%, it won't excite me. I usually watch extra points, but if I am with other people watching it may not have my undivided attention except in certain situations. Moving the point they kick back won't change that.

I personally like Tom Coughlin's idea on the extra point. Move it in to the one-yard line. You would have a lot more two-point attempts, which is one of the most exciting plays in football. You may even see the return of the fullback on NFL rosters.
I hope they take this up next preseason. Hell, just approve it now! It makes a lot more sense, especially with what Coughlin said about the disparity of weather conditions across the league late in the season.

Keep it at the current short length, but if the kicker misses, he is put to death.

Too extreme? It would definitely favor kickers who can handle pressure.:eek:

Keep it at the current short length, but if the kicker misses, he is put to death.

Too extreme? It would definitely favor kickers who can handle pressure.:eek:
What if there's a bad snap?
only-a-flesh-wound.gif

I don't mean this in any way personally, but I don't care two bits whether you want to watch the extra point or not. When we talk about the rule changes to add more offense, we hate it because it messes up the game in the interest of a broader viewing audience. Having a less automatic extra point makes for a better game by eliminating a meaningless play. Whether it's any more exciting for the fans means nothing to me.

I don't mean this in any way personally, but I don't care two bits whether you want to watch the extra point or not. When we talk about the rule changes to add more offense, we hate it because it messes up the game in the interest of a broader viewing audience. Having a less automatic extra point makes for a better game by eliminating a meaningless play. Whether it's any more exciting for the fans means nothing to me.

But moving it to the one yard line makes the extra point far more exciting than whatever distance they move it back farther from the goal post. You move the extra point marker to the one yard line, you make the extra point more a must watch. Teams are going to go for two far more. There are also chances of fake extra point attempts.

Unless the extra point is a crucial point gain at the end of the game, kicking the extra point for most people don't mean much. Field goal attempts early in games don't mean much to the casual fan. You go for two though and everyone wants to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back