Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who do you WANT the Pats to take? Who WILL they take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is a multiple choice poll.

The questions are:

1. What position do YOU want the Pats to address with the first player they take in the draft (i.e., the player who'll come to Foxboro and pose with a "1" jersey)?

2. What position do you think the Pats WILL ACTUALLY TAKE first?

Again, ignore any trades.

Please pick ONE "I want" option and ONE "They'll take" option.

Assuming they get Sanders from the Steelers (deadline to make a move there is one month from today), I could see them going a lot of different directions, including every position you listed.

If they don't get Sanders or another good WR, then they're going to need a WR very early, ideally in the first round.

For the sake of this poll, I'll assume they get Sanders (because it just makes sense) and say that I want a DT but that the Pats take another CB and everybody freaks out.

I want a decent secondary and the CB/S class is good with a lot of possibilities, but my gut says they will either go OL or WR.

I wouldn't be upset if a good OL fell to them, since there are also a lot of choices.

I definitely do not want a WR, since I feel there are only a few top WRs that merit a first round pick and there should be more value in the second round.

My gut says the Pats pick OL Barrett Jones or WR Robert Woods.

What I want: DT

What we'll get: WR

While I'm probably the biggest advocate of going WR on this board, I don't want them to get Sanders but to take three in the draft, I don't think they need to do it in the first round with the depth there is this year.

Therefore, I want them to go interior OL which I think is the next biggest need. I'm wishfully hoping for Jonathan Cooper but that's unlikely, but I'm increasingly interested in Justin Pugh who my favourite scout this year, Daniel Jeremiah compares favourably to Andy Levitre.

Unfortunately, unless its Jesse Williams, we'll waste the pick and go interior DL which I dread.

DT is hands down the most pressing need on defense and has been for several years.

It's DT or bust for me in the first round.

Want some 1st round talent on the DL to help Vince out inside.

IMO thats how this team will get back to where we need to be. Strong front 7 and a ball hawking back 4-5.

If our D can be a top 10 D i can see us continuing to challenge in the AFC

While we certainly need to upgrade our DL, we currently don't even have a WR who can beat pressman coverage. By the time we pick three receivers will probably be off the boards (Austin, Allen and Patterson) but we'll still have quality choices left; however the same cannot be said of tackles as the best ones will all be long gone, leaving us with second tier choices.

Our offense will continue to struggle against elite defenses deep in the playoffs until we can get someone to clear the middle. I realize the same can be said of the defense and our weak pass rush, but in this case we at least have some pieces in place.

That said, I don't think BB will take a receiver first.

While I'm probably the biggest advocate of going WR on this board, I don't want them to get Sanders but to take three in the draft, I don't think they need to do it in the first round with the depth there is this year.

Therefore, I want them to go interior OL which I think is the next biggest need. I'm wishfully hoping for Jonathan Cooper but that's unlikely, but I'm increasingly interested in Justin Pugh who my favourite scout this year, Daniel Jeremiah compares favourably to Andy Levitre.

Unfortunately, unless its Jesse Williams, we'll waste the pick and go interior DL which I dread.
I'm in a NFL Draft projection here in Australia and I keep seeing DT as an area of value toward the end of the first round. The WR's available don't seem to match value at the draft slot. As for Williams, I'm not sure we should carry two starting tackles who won't be there on third down. I'd be inclined to look at someone who can defend the run and get to the Quarterback from the DT position. The WR value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds looks pretty good to me.

Now, all that said, I'll probably take a WR given that's a massive need looking at the depth chart. DT or WR for their first pick if a trade back isn't possible. I also like the Pugh suggestion.

I'm still struggling with whether we need a DT or DE more. A lot depends on where they play Armstead. We need a DT more right now IMO but we often draft a year ahead and Ninkovich is a FA after this season - with the talk that they would have been interested in Michael Johnson as a FA it makes me look at DE quite a bit.

Speaking of a year ahead, Spikes is also a FA. An OLB (with the plan to move Hightower inside) could be a sneaky surprise too.

I'm still struggling with whether we need a DT or DE more. A lot depends on where they play Armstead. We need a DT more right now IMO but we often draft a year ahead and Ninkovich is a FA after this season - with the talk that they would have been interested in Michael Johnson as a FA it makes me look at DE quite a bit.

Speaking of a year ahead, Spikes is also a FA. An OLB (with the plan to move Hightower inside) could be a sneaky surprise too.
We are in agreement. A lot depends on the projection and use of Armstead. That said, you can never be greedy enough when it comes to defensive linemen. The more quality you have on the roster the better (IMO). I still see DT (especially) and DE as a major area for upgrade. The havoc Vince will wreak against single blocking schemes just isn't fair to the other team.

Never too early to start planning for Vince's slow but inevitable decline

Never too early to start planning for Vince's slow but inevitable decline

Which is why I like Jesse Williams. If there's any DT in the range we're picking that has the ability to dominate OL it's Williams and his strength. I also suspect he'll get the Saban stamp of approval.

I want Ogletree....because
A) a realistic opportunity to obtain a play maker likely to slide down to them= value
B) The possible answer to their coverage LB issues. In the short term, deploy as 3rd down OLB.
C) Possible long term solution at OLB depending if Spikes gets extended or not. If Spikes moves on, either Mayo or Stallworth can move inside.

A risky proposition based on off field tendencies.....but.....this former safety could shore up what I consider a major flaw in their recent LB rebuild. Though extremely unlikely to use another high rounder for the LB grouping, the on field impact could be immediate.

They'll take.......a DT. Who?? No clue. The Pats will get back to what works and once again build up the D line through the front of the draft. Vince is aging and Vince needs to mentor a stud young gun. If the Danny Amendola signing tells us anything, BB is still building for the long term and the D line needs attention

we always talk about Brady's window but how about Vince's??? Its closing much faster than anyone wants to talk about. I think drafting D line is going to be HUGE.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back