PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early look at Patriots comp picks for '09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stallworth doesn't count. The team didn't exercixe his option. I expect a 3rd and a 6th. I make no guesses at what we might get for Cassel. In any case, we will have lots of draft choices available.

Show me a reputable source that says he definitely doesn't--or that a team didn't get a pick for a comparable loss when they were otherwise qualified to do so.

I'm not saying you're wrong, merely that we're speculating, and neither side (yet) has provided conclusive evidence. (I've been trying to get in touch with Adamjt13 to get his take, but have yet to reach him.)

I have no idea what to expect from Cassel in terms of netting picks. I really think I would prefer keep Cassel for next year, but I dont know if that is going to be possible with the amount of money he is going to command. That being said, if we could even get just a 2nd rounder for him that would be amazing. I personally, am eyeing the Lions 2nd First Round pick which they received from the Cowboys. I think a team with 2 First Round picks would be more likely to pony up one of them than a team with only 1. But even if its not the Lions, there are a bunch of teams in need of a QB, and I think Carolina and Tampa believe their teams may be a really good QB away from being a Super Bowl contender. If they think highly of Cassel, that would be great.

I have no idea what to expect from Cassel in terms of netting picks. I really think I would prefer keep Cassel for next year, but I dont know if that is going to be possible with the amount of money he is going to command. That being said, if we could even get just a 2nd rounder for him that would be amazing. I personally, am eyeing the Lions 2nd First Round pick which they received from the Cowboys. I think a team with 2 First Round picks would be more likely to pony up one of them than a team with only 1. But even if its not the Lions, there are a bunch of teams in need of a QB, and I think Carolina and Tampa believe their teams may be a really good QB away from being a Super Bowl contender. If they think highly of Cassel, that would be great.
I saw an article discussing Gruden's efforts to keep Luke McCown below the radar so he could hang onto him in Free Agency - which made no sense in regards to negotiating a contract extension for a player you control now - but Tampa may not be shopping. I also have to wonder if Detroit with Culpepper under contract thinks their problems start at QB? I suppose it depends on if Ford has the sense to bring in a new broom to clean out the clowns who were helping Millen dig their hole deeper.

There is only one reputable source. And there are the rest of us who guess.

IMHo (subject to adam's correction), compensatory picks are about more than just losing players. My understanding is that compensatory picks are computed based on net players lost as free agents. Not included are players waived because injury or players waived because we just didn't want to pay their salary or options.

Show me a reputable source that says he definitely doesn't--or that a team didn't get a pick for a comparable loss when they were otherwise qualified to do so.

I'm not saying you're wrong, merely that we're speculating, and neither side (yet) has provided conclusive evidence. (I've been trying to get in touch with Adamjt13 to get his take, but have yet to reach him.)

Last edited:
I saw an article discussing Gruden's efforts to keep Luke McCown below the radar so he could hang onto him in Free Agency - which made no sense in regards to negotiating a contract extension for a player you control now - but Tampa may not be shopping. I also have to wonder if Detroit with Culpepper under contract thinks their problems start at QB? I suppose it depends on if Ford has the sense to bring in a new broom to clean out the clowns who were helping Millen dig their hole deeper.

I'm with you on this one. I can't see the Pats getting a #1 for Cassel. The only teams I can see in the market for Cassel would be the Lions, Chiefs, 49ers, Bears, Vikings, Bucs and Titans...and the actual number is probably lower with 2 QBs likely top draft picks.

I think a likely scenario would be:
- Lions pick Stafford #1
- Bears get McNabb
- Bucs stick with what they have
- Titans reluctantly give VY another chance

That leaves the Chiefs (no way they give up #2), 49ers and the Vikings. Factor in Bradford in the draft and Derek Anderson on the cheap and the market isn't there for a #1.

Niners are still eating Alex Smith's salary and the Vikings have too many holes in the secondary to give up a mid-round #1. Best case scenario would be the Chiefs getting OL help instead of Bradford and giving up pick #34 for Cassel. I'm not hopeful.

I'm with you on this one. I can't see the Pats getting a #1 for Cassel. The only teams I can see in the market for Cassel would be the Lions, Chiefs, 49ers, Bears, Vikings, Bucs and Titans...and the actual number is probably lower with 2 QBs likely top draft picks.

I think a likely scenario would be:
- Lions pick Stafford #1
- Bears get McNabb
- Bucs stick with what they have
- Titans reluctantly give VY another chance

That leaves the Chiefs (no way they give up #2), 49ers and the Vikings. Factor in Bradford in the draft and Derek Anderson on the cheap and the market isn't there for a #1.

Niners are still eating Alex Smith's salary and the Vikings have too many holes in the secondary to give up a mid-round #1. Best case scenario would be the Chiefs getting OL help instead of Bradford and giving up pick #34 for Cassel. I'm not hopeful.
It's nice to speculate about the future, but until Mattyice is actually franchised we're just daydreaming - it's always possible he'll be allowed to shop himself with no restrictions.

As far as Detroit, I agree it is unlikely they'll get anyone to take that #1 overall draft pick off their hands - just think what Cassel's agent would be demanding if they did give it up! Detroit does have a second #1 to work with if they did try to make a play for a franchised Mattyice - but I'd hope he doesn't wind up there in any case.

I think the best thing that could happen for Mattyice is for Philly to part with Andy Reid and make a play for McDaniels. Philly has a good D and they have some WRs starting to blossom, trade McPuker to Minnesota and buy a proven Brady mentored model to hand-off to Westbrook.

Troy Brown wasn't considered cut by the Patriots a couple years ago when the Pats didn't pick up his option. Its taken as the contract expiring normally.

Detroit also has the Cowboy's #1 (Roy Williams trade) and that pick should fall around 20-26. It would be possible with all of their needs they could opt to draft a safer pick similar to the Dolphins at the top or trade down if another team loves Stafford to accumulate picks.

I'm not saying it will happen that way but it is plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes