Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If they are there @17 your preference

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. But then, I would be gald to see any of the blue chippers, or almost blue chippers fall to us. Not including QB's we have

DL Bowers, Darius, Fairley, Jordan
LB Miller, Quinn
DB Amukamara, Peterson
WR Green, Jones
RB Ingram

That give us 13 players if one includes QB's Gabbert and Newton who likely also be in the top 13.

Even if there are THREE additional players in the top 16, none of these will drop to us. Of course, it certainly could happen. With a surprise or two, one of these could be available with a trade up, but there would lots of teams interested, including the team with the pick.

It seems more likely that all of these will be gone and we are looking at the top OT's or the remaining front seven players. If there is enought to choose from, Belichick will, of course, trade down some.

If you think Amukamara is a blue chipper, and he falls to 17, makes sense to do it, even if the need isn't as significant. Of course if you don't see him in that class of talent, it doesn't make sense.

I'd love to see Cam Jordan fall to us but I don't think that's happening.

I agree. But then, I would be gald to see any of the blue chippers, or almost blue chippers fall to us. Not including QB's we have

DL Bowers, Darius, Fairley, Jordan
LB Miller, Quinn
DB Amukamara, Peterson
WR Green, Jones
RB Ingram

That give us 13 players if one includes QB's Gabbert and Newton who likely also be in the top 13.

Even if there are THREE additional players in the top 16, none of these will drop to us. Of course, it certainly could happen. With a surprise or two, one of these could be available with a trade up, but there would lots of teams interested, including the team with the pick.

It seems more likely that all of these will be gone and we are looking at the top OT's or the remaining front seven players. If there is enought to choose from, Belichick will, of course, trade down some.

I agree, the trade-down will probably be the most likely scenario. Though if we were willing to add say #74, we could jump up to 11 to 13 range to grab one of the last blue chippers. I'm certainly rooting for some teams to gamble on Mallett and Locker, but that's looking less and less likely.

Assuming Fairley is off the board, Watt is my #1 guy for the four technique. That lateral agility and burst is rare in the prototype frame, and there is no question he'll build up enough to be able to play the run at a high level. He's got rare agility for a guy his size which is really appealing for me against the current spread trend. A guy who not only can play all the colloquial requirements of the right end in addition to be a legimate pursuit guy? That's very valuable and rare. He's also a true three down player. None of the other mid-range prospects fit that. Gimme Watt, and I wouldn't be shocked to see a move into the early teens for him.

Last edited:
Assuming Fairley is off the board, Watt is my #1 guy for the four technique. That lateral agility and burst is rare in the prototype frame, and there is no question he'll build up enough to be able to play the run at a high level. He's got rare agility for a guy his size which is really appealing for me against the current spread trend. A guy who not only can play all the colloquial requirements of the right end in addition to be a legimate pursuit guy? That's very valuable and rare. He's also a true three down player. None of the other mid-range prospects fit that. Gimme Watt, and I wouldn't be shocked to see a move into the early teens for him.
Watt seems like a good prospect to grow into the role ... have you looked into Muhammed Wilkerson yet?

has to be JJ Watt... only one on the list starting with W

has to be JJ Watt... only one on the list starting with W

Point.

But only after we trade down twice and half the board is on suicide watch waiting for the pick.

Last edited:
People are forgetting that there will be at least 2-3 workout warriors who will shoot up the board after the combine. Wouldn't be surprised if guys like Justin Houston, Jimmy Smith, and Aldon Smith vault themselves into top 15-lock status. And call me crazy, but doesn't Derrick Locke automatically get into the first round if he runs under 4.3, which some folks insist he will?

But only after we trade down twice and half the board is on suicide watch waiting for the pick.

God, I can't WAIT for that!!
jester.gif

I know it makes me an horrible person and all, but I was cackling with GLEE, this past April, reading the Wailings, Lamentations, and Gnashing of TEETH as Coach Bill The Mad kept leap frogging back AWAY from Dez Bryant!!
jester.gif

Yes, at #17, taking a big strong guy, with speed, who is fundamentally sound at that position, yes that appeals to me.

I want Mike Haynes-Ray Clayborn Part 2 at Foxboro.

I'd MUCH rather prioritize the D Line.

THEN: Flankers.

And THEN: CornerBacks.

ROI, baby.

But I like the way you think. :cool:

Just 'cause I'm constantly shouting down efforts to Petersonize or Amakumarafy our Draft ~ in favor of more pressing and Impacting needs Up Front ~ doesn't mean I don't DREAM of an elite Secondary, BELIEVE me.

Cam Jordan is obviously the Hot Flavor of the Week.

Great looking FootBall player, but the only possible match I see, hereabouts, is as an HeffaLump...and that is a LONG shot.

If I'm looking for a traditional 5 Tech, I'm looking at Cam Heyward...and JJ Watt.

So I'm gonna take the other side of that Trade: SELL.

And I'll take Aldon Smith.

I'm still hoping that Watt sinks towards 28, though he's no longer my first choice, there, as a Priority Binkie has moved up:

Phil Taylor, I see rocketing up to the middle of the round, over the next few days...and then rolling back down, as the microscope finally finds him, and his rather sordid past comes into Sharp Relief.

jester.gif

I know it makes me an horrible person and all, but I was cackling with GLEE, this past April, reading the Wailings, Lamentations, and Gnashing of TEETH as Coach Bill The Mad kept leap frogging back AWAY from Dez Bryant!!
jester.gif

Well I was one of those freaking out :rofl: I think I've learned my lesson though and promise to be better during this year's draft.

As for Dez, he's shown flashes of elite talent, but the attitude issues that popped up make me glad BB steered far, far away from him.

Point.

jester.gif

jester.gif

Well I was one of those freaking out :rofl: I think I've learned my lesson though and promise to be better during this year's draft.

As for Dez, he's shown flashes of elite talent, but the attitude issues that popped up make me glad BB steered far, far away from him.

Good man!! :rocker:

There are very few of us who have the self confidence to admit mistakes, or even a change of mind...

Of course, I've got more practice then most...:D

I picked Jordan. That D line is looking thin unless both Warren and Wright return, and even then, they have a lot of bodies and prospects but only one elite player. I wanna see more talent up front. Also, we need more talent while the backfield continues to gel.

Watt seems like a good prospect to grow into the role ... have you looked into Muhammed Wilkerson yet?

I have. I've come away with an overall impression I'm fairly happy with regarding Watt and Wilkerson. I think that neither player is ready to come in and contribute to base immediately. While both have holes in their game, Wilkerson has a couple that are concerning. I don't think that he plays with the best pad level in the world, and I see him get washed by zone at times. He's good enough with his shed moves (club in particular is very nice) to get off a block and make a play, but he plays pretty upright which can be difficult to correct. It could be a function of his physical mismatch in a weak conference, but with his size and feet he should be more dominant than he is against that level of competition. I have a second round grade on him because of the fact that technique is a thing that takes time to develop. I don't see him contributing right away.

I think that Watt can contribute as a rookie in sub, and with his character and work ethic I can see him gaining the strength to be special very quickly. I also like the fact that he plays in arguably the best o-line conference in college. This will make his jump easier and underscores his production in a conference that has diverse pro-style blocking schemes.

Last edited:
Im gonna go out on a limb and say he trades back. This is by most accounts a very poor draft class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes