PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early Concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E1Downey

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Hey guys!
It's been a pretty interesting offseason this far and there is plenty to be excited about. I just wanted to get some opinions on any of your concerns about this team as we get ready for training camp to kick into gear.

I like many of you I'm sure, can't wait for training camp to start. We are all excited about the WR battle (although it won't be as interesting as I first thought due to the thinning of the herd), about seeing who will emerge as the number one RB, and especially about these new studs we have for our sometimes frustrating defense.

While I'm happily anticipating the answers to these question marks, there's a few that I'm concerned about. just a couple of thoughts.

1.) The line...on both sides of the ball.
I was very impressed with Solder last year. I thought he contributed a great deal for this team, and really showed his versatility by doing any and all tasks asked of him. I'm just a little nervous about how well he can protect TFB from the biggest and baddest rushers the NFL has to offer week in and week out. I'm also pretty concerned about Vollmer on the other side. He looked great a couple of years ago but I don't know what he will look like returning from all his back problems, and how long that back will even hold up once he is ready to go.
My concern with the D-line is of course the pass rush. It looked a lot better last year, but the majority of the sacks came from two guys whom aren't on the team right now.(hoping Carter comes back) and who knows what to expect from Bills brand new toys he just got.

2.) The defensive backfield.
I'm really hoping that last year was a fluke for Devin McCourty. Talk about a freaking let down. Year one he has all of drooling and year two he has us all crying. Also interested to see how Glassy Dowling looks if he manages to stay healthy because he showed some real promise last year.
I just don't want to see our team make the Chad Hennes of the league look all-pro again.

Any way I'd love some input. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
OL depth

Picking the correct front 7 for the 53 man

Defense. Until it is proved otherwise, Defense. I am sick of feeling like a Colts fan these last 5 years.

I just want a D with a big set of brass ballllls. Is that too much to ask for?

Yup, obviously defense, particularly the pass rush and DB play.

I am really optimistic. Compare going into this year with the past couple of years. I like the competition with the defensive backs and linebackers. This will help the defensive line, which seems to have depth. Running backs with another year experience with a vet helping out...........come on, I need t-shirts.

2.) The defensive backfield.
I'm really hoping that last year was a fluke for Devin McCourty. Talk about a freaking let down. Year one he has all of drooling and year two he has us all crying.

Last night's Patriots All Access program had a brief part in it where mcCourty describes how this year's offseason and OTA's have helped him immensely over last year's lockout prep. He went on about how he has been working on things he's never done before.

He'll be ready. Let's hope Dowling can stay healthy and they'll be fine.

Last edited:
Both concerns could potentially be strong this season, but until proven otherwise they are concerns IMO.

Secondary - Lots of new faces that may help alot and Mccourty/RID are big question marks.

DE - Again new faces, plus if Carter returns full strength that improves it alot.

Until the Pats pass defense improves immensely, the Pats will not win another SB trophy.

No amount of blind homer-ism will change that fact. Andy.

Going by last year's (and prior) experience, the only thing I am concerned about is playing the Giants in the Superbowl.

Until the Pats pass defense improves immensely, the Pats will not win another SB trophy.

Is it your position that the Pats' defense would have needed to be "immensely" better for the Pats to win the Super Bowl last season?

Last edited:
Pass Rush...there was barely any more of it in 2011 than there was in 2010. It was nice to see us have a couple of ten sack guys but we didn't do much better as a team. Just 4 more sacks than the previous year and they were just less evenly distributed. It's far too inconsistent.

If you get a pass rush, your secondary concerns can go away very quickly and we wont see may 3rd & 5+ conversions against!

Last edited:
O-line, loosing Light is a big loss. Solder is good but is he that good already ?

Lets say Mankins is out for some games as well and we might be struggling with throwing the ball. With the current state of defence that might end up really bad.

I'm concerned that draft day '13 will be boring compared to past years of multiple premium picks. Waiting for the 32nd pick of each round is unfamiliar territory.....and I bet it is driving BB nuts. How and when will he return to the days of owning the first 2 rounds??? Will a significant vet get traded this offseason? Will BB sacrifice the '13 draft to get back multiple future picks? You know something has to give at some point....doesn't it?

What a completely ridiculous statement.

They were within a Gronkle of winning it last year with far less talented defensive personnel.

Last edited:
I'm concerned that draft day '13 will be boring compared to past years of multiple premium picks. Waiting for the 32nd pick of each round is unfamiliar territory.....and I bet it is driving BB nuts. How and when will he return to the days of owning the first 2 rounds??? Will a significant vet get traded this offseason? Will BB sacrifice the '13 draft to get back multiple future picks? You know something has to give at some point....doesn't it?

He had to deal with that in 2005, and he still came away with a pretty decent draft in a crappy year: Logan Mankns, Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kaczur, James Sanders, Matt Cassel. Not the worst draft the Pats have had.

The Pats were one minute from winning the Super Bowl this past year. I would argue with the exact same defense and a healthy Gronk, the odds are incredible high that the Pats win that Super Bowl.

Ironically, the Pats lost this past Super Bowl largely on one Eli Manning pass where the coverage was spectacular, but the pass and catch was just amazing. No matter how good the Pats' pass defense was, there was virtually no way of stopping Manningham from catching the ball. The only way would have been to commit pass interference and hope the refs didn't call it.

Last edited:
For some reason I am not that worried about the o-line. Daunte Scarnnechia has a long history of making chicken salad out of chicken crap. Yes, there are concerns on the line (can Solder handle the LT position? Will Brian Waters return and what shape will he be in at 35? Will Mankins be ready for the start of the season? Depth concerns.). But Scar has made some lines filled with some mediocre at positions talent keep Brady upright in Super Bowl seasons.

All my biggest concerns are on the defensive side of the ball.

biggest concern? handling the pressure of going 19-0 again

Going by last year's (and prior) experience, the only thing I am concerned about is playing the Giants in the Superbowl.

I demand a rematch. Nothing else - not even two SB wins a row against the 49'ers and the Lions (for instance) will wipe away the last two as well as an old fashioned solid win against the NYG.

And enough on how the D must be much better or we will never win again. Un-injure Gronk before the game or TB in the game, or have Welker make the catch and it's a win. 19 freaking points allowed by the D isn't good enough? Like hell it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes