PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early candidates for my binky list

Peachhead

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK, after the first few games of the college season. Here's some guys who stood out to me:

RB Todd Gurley, Georgia (6'1"/226#) - 15 carries for 198 yds & 3 tds, 1 reception for a 5 yd loss and a 100 kick return for a TD vs Clemson.

RB Cameron Artis-Payne, Auburn (5'11", 210#) - 26 carries for 177 yds & 1 td and one reception for 14 yds.

G Luke Charpentier, Arkansas (6'4", 305#) - But might be a little too light for what Coach Googe prefers.

G Kyle Costigan, Wisconsin (6'4", 315#) -Costigan & Havenstein were opening up 10 ft wide holes with regularity.

RT Rob Havenstein, Wisconsin (6'8", 333#) - See above. The only thing with him is he's too tall to slide in the OG spot and our OT spots are set, so unless he'd be a backup swing tackle I'm not sure how much use he'd be for us.

S Derron Smith, Fresno St (5'11", 197#) - 11 Total Tackles yesterday vs USC.

S Landon Collins, Alabama (6'0", 222#) - 8 Total Tackles vs West Virginia

TE Cameron Clear, Texas A&M (6'6", 274)

TE A.J. Derby, Arkansas (6'5", 256) - Former backup QB, we tend to like those in many positions. :)

TE Nick O'Leary, Florida St (6'3", 247)

Who caught your eyes over the last few days?

Being in the UK and working nights, I don't get to see the games live so I'll try to catch up over the week. Here's one not on my list though: Texas A&M CB Deshazor Everett. Was getting toasted through the first half of the S Carolina game. By the by, TAMU were very impressive.

Also, people might want to check out UT-Chattanooga DT Derrick Lott. He's 6-4 and 303 lbs and although he's a 6 year senior, is still a little raw at times he shows the ability to dominate his level at times. I want to see more of him

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/derrick-lott

Too early for a "binky" list for me. But the guys who I am most interested in following at this early point:

TE Jesse James, Penn St.
OL Brandon Scherff, Iowa
OL Spencer Drango, Baylor
OG Josue Matias, Florida St.
OG Laken Tomlinson, Duke
DE Shawn Oakman, Baylor
DE/OLB Dante Fowler, Florida
DE/OLB Bud Dupree, Kentucky
LB/S Shaq Thompson, Washington
S Cody Prewitt, Mississippi
S Durrell Eskridge, Syracuse

Also interested in LB Eric Striker, LB Kyler Fackrell, LB Benardrick McKnney, DE/OLB Shilique Calhoun, OLB Zach Hodges, TE Clive Walford, Shaquile Riddick, Arik Armstead, Henry Anderson, and many, many others.

I watched the PSU/UCF game Mayo. Very solid. Nothing spectacular from James. Caught everything thrown his way. 7 for 60 yards. Got clocked extending for a ball and still held on. May have dinged his shoulder a bit.

Breshad Perriman from UCF is going to play in the NFL. Big, physical receiver in the Anquan Boldin mold. UCF's starting qb sucked. Their backup came in and they looked much better. My binkie on UCF is JJ Worton. He's listed as 6'2" 211 and is a slot receiver. Shows great running ability after the catch. A bigger version of Edelman. Remember this catch he made last year?

Melvin Gordon is a stud too. If Wisconsin's coach gives him the ball in the 2nd half they knock LSU off.

Oh, and my man Hack threw for 450 without a running game against a decent UCF defense. He's just 19, hope he sticks around PSU for 4 years

Last edited:
I like Jesse James [TE] from Penn St so far. I like big tight ends with good hands, and that have a big catch area, plus he seemed to be able to get some good separation in coverage. Will be interesting to see more of him through the year.

I like Jesse James [TE] from Penn St so far. I like big tight ends with good hands, and that have a big catch area, plus he seemed to be able to get some good separation in coverage. Will be interesting to see more of him through the year.

I watched some tape of Jesse James, albeit a fairly limited sample. Great hands and great size, but I thought he looked pretty slow and that did bother me. I look forward to seeing more though because aside from the lack of speed, he has all the other characteristics of a good TE.

I watched some tape of Jesse James, albeit a fairly limited sample. Great hands and great size, but I thought he looked pretty slow and that did bother me. I look forward to seeing more though because aside from the lack of speed, he has all the other characteristics of a good TE.
Agreed. I've only watched one game so far, so I need to watch more to get a better sense of him.

What I saw was great size and hands as you said. A very good security blanket for QBs. But speed might be an issue. If he's going to be a top end TE he needs to get separation not only be size and routes, but also by speed. Not only for the catch, but especially to get YAC. Will have to see more to say if he can do that.

I've never really been a college football guy. But I noticed around this past draft that college can be quite fun, and scouting players is fun too. So I will hopefully watch more this year. I'm from Sweden, so I don't have any college connection. Except for this year when one guy I used to play with will play O-line for Purdue. So I'm really interested to see if he gets any playing time. It would certainly give me a better excuse for being absolutely demolished by him in practises.

If he does play you'll have to let us know who he is so that we can turn him into a board binky.

Right now my very early positional board for the Pats looks something like:

OL:

1. Brandon Scherff, Iowa
2. La'el Collins, LSU
3. Spencer Drango, Baylor
4. Josue Matias, Florida St.
5. Laken Tomlinson, Duke

DE:

1. Shawn Oakman, Baylor
2. Dante Fowler, Florida
3. Shilique Calhoun, Michigan St.
4. Bud Dupree, Kentucky