PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early 2013 New England Patriots Roster Projection (following the draft)

belichick010405

Closed Acccount
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

Every year – I take a look at the Patriots roster so that depth charts can be established and discussed following the draft since there is some down time between now and June 1 cuts. Here is my early look at the Patriots depth chart. I will say this – the competition is going to be pretty damn good once OTA’s and Training Camp commence.

New England Patriots 2013 Projected Roster (bold - projected starters at this time)

(2) QB – Brady, Mallett
(4) RB – Ridley, Vereen, Washington, Bolden/Blount
(5) WR – Amendola, Jones, Dobson, Edelman, Boyce
(4) TE – Gronkowski, Hernandez, Hoomanawanui, Ballard
(4) OG – Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, McDonald
(4) OT – Solder, Vollmer, Zusevics, Svitek
(1) C – Wendell

Offense – 24 Players

(5) DE – Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Cunningham, Bequette
(5) DT – Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Love, Deadrick
(3) OLB – Mayo, Hightower, Collins
(2) ILB – Spikes, Rivera
(5) CB – Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Dowling
(2) FS – McCourty, Gregory
(3) SS – A. Wilson, T. Wilson, Harmon

Defense – 25 players

(4) Special Teams: Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken, Slater

(8) Practice Squad Candidates – Ebner, Cole, Beauharnais, Robertson, Vega, Buchanan, A. Holmes, Kafka

Likely Cut Candidates:

Jenkins and Ebert

Bolden/Blount (one of two)

Fiametta (because of Hernandez's flexibility as an H-Back)

Hoomanawanui/Ballard/Fells (one of three)

Dowling (if he cannot shake the injury bug and if he values Cole more because of his ST contributions)

Gregory

Rivera (because of the inside flexibility of Hightower and Mayo)

Svitek/Zusevics/McDonald (maybe one of three if they are comfortable with Cannon moving inside and if Zusevics can prove his worth as the 3rd OT)

Dane Fletcher is still on the team.

I don't understand the need for Blount. Unless, of course, BB has written off Bolden. I liked what Bolden showed last year. Also, who was that other d-lineman from Canada the Pats picked up the same time as Armstead? Forgot his name; I don't see him listed.

Not for long but if there is an injury, then he could be a part of the final 53.

With that said - he is a long shot.
IMO, Fletcher is more likely to make the team than Rivera.

I don't understand the need for Blount. Unless, of course, BB has written off Bolden. I liked what Bolden showed last year. Also, who was that other d-lineman from Canada the Pats picked up the same time as Armstead? Forgot his name; I don't see him listed.

Vega - I have him listed as a practice squad guy for this year unless certain guys fall behind (i.e. Cunningham).

1) Bolden and Blount will compete for a roster spot. That's a good thing!

2) Vega is listed as a Practice Squad player. He isn't worth more.

for the most part i agree...but i see us carrying 6WR and the extra spot will come from your DE/LB list, i believe that is where the biggest decisions are going to be made, and where you may be most wrong

rivera i also dont see making it, it will be fletcher or neither

gregory will not make it, why do you project harmon as a SS instead of FS?

also, if dowling makes the final 53, it means he must have seriously earned that spot, and is finally healthy...id be all for that b/c i really liked him when he was drafted, plus from the sounds of things Ryan is more of a slot CB, so he can back up arrington, but id rather have an outside CB like dowling to back up the outside guys

Hi everyone -

Every year – I take a look at the Patriots roster so that depth charts can be established and discussed following the draft since there is some down time between now and June 1 cuts. Here is my early look at the Patriots depth chart. I will say this – the competition is going to be pretty damn good once OTA’s and Training Camp commence.

New England Patriots 2013 Projected Roster (bold - projected starters at this time)

(2) QB – Brady, Mallett
(1) C – Wendell

Offense – 24 Players

(5) DE – Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Cunningham, Bequette
(5) DT – Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Love, Deadrick
(2) ILB – Spikes, Rivera
(3) SS – A. Wilson, T. Wilson, Harmon

Defense – 25 players

(8) Practice Squad Candidates – Ebner, Cole, Beauharnais, Robertson, Vega, Buchanan, A. Holmes, Kafka

Likely Cut Candidates:

Jenkins and Ebert

Fiametta (because of Hernandez's flexibility as an H-Back)

Dowling (if he cannot shake the injury bug and if he values Cole more because of his ST contributions)

Gregory

Svitek/Zusevics/McDonald (maybe one of three if they are comfortable with Cannon moving inside and if Zusevics can prove his worth as the 3rd OT)

Jones as the #2...man that sucks. I hope that's not the case

It is an early projection.....I believe that Dobson is going to compete for that #2 spot and if he gets the reps and more importantly, learns the playbook efficiently, as well as generate a relationship with Brady, then he could easily start the year opposite Amendola.

The likely choice is between Jones and Edelman. It seems unlikely that the rookies will be good enough to start for Game One.

ALP - I think that Harmon could play both based on the tape and games that I have seen on him. With that said - he is more physical than Tavon Wilson and I think that if anyone is going to bump Gregory, then it is going to be Tavon Wilson and not Harmon.

Harmon is a hard hitting safety who is very good in run support. Tavon Wilson, as BB has noted on more than a few occasions, played both corner and safety at the U of Illinois which gives him the flexibility to be a better fit in pass coverage.

The likely choice is between Jones and Edelman. It seems unlikely that the rookies will be good enough to start for Game One.

I need to see Edelman getting consistent reps on the outside before I would project him as the 2nd outside receiver with Amendola.

Only 5 Line backers? Did you forget about Special Teams? Tarpinian, Koutovides, White... Also Duron Harmon is a FS. I don't think Kafka is PS eligible anymore as this will be his 4th NFL season. Don't quote me on that though.

Only 5 Line backers? Did you forget about Special Teams? Tarpinian, Koutovides, White... Also Duron Harmon is a FS.

Hey Vrabel - yea, for now, 5 linebackers plus Ninkovich. Like I said - its' early because we are not accounting for OTA's, June 1 cuts, as well as training camp.

Based on this roster, here is my set of 11 guys on kickoffs:

Bolden and Washington are returning kicks with Collins, Harmon, T. Wilson, Gregory, Ryan, Rivera, Slater, Boyce, and someone like Hightower lined up.

Hey Vrabel - yea, for now, 5 linebackers plus Ninkovich. Like I said - its' early because we are not accounting for OTA's, June 1 cuts, as well as training camp.

Based on this roster, here is my set of 11 guys on kickoffs:

Bolden and Washington are returning kicks with Collins, Harmon, T. Wilson, Gregory, Ryan, Rivera, Slater, Boyce, and someone like Hightower lined up.

Smallish ST lineup. Maybe sprinkle a OG or TE in there somewhere and it'll work. Thanks for taking the time to do this:rocker:

A few things I think could be possible

Abraham (if he signs) knocking Bequette off the roster and Buchanan beating out Cunningham in camp.

Beauharnais was drafted to take Tracy White's spot as the ST/Backup LB. He will in some way, shape or form have a spot on the roster.

Wouldn't be shocked if T.J. Moe beats out Donald Jones.

Also Allen taking over for Mesko I would say is 65/35 at this point. Mesko is in his contract year. Cutting him frees up almost $1 million in cap for this year. While also getting a better punter for 3 years at $400-500k per.

Also keep on mind that Mesko and Welker share agents. So those wounds could still be a little sore between the two sides. Which Mesko maybe a casualty of.

A few things I think could be possible

Abraham (if he signs) knocking Bequette off the roster and Buchanan beating out Cunningham in camp.

Beauharnais was drafted to take Tracy White's spot as the ST/Backup LB. He will in same way, shape or form have a spot on the roster.

Wouldn't be shocked if T.J. Moe beats out Donald Jones.

Also Allen taking over for Mesko I would say is 65/35 at this point. Mesko is in his contract year. Cutting him frees up almost $1 million in cap for this year. While also getting a better punter for 3 years at $400-500k per.

Also keep on mind that Mesko and Welker share agents. So those wounds could still be a little sore between the two sides. Which Mesko maybe a casualty of.

All distinct possibilities and thanks for reminding me of Moe. At the very least, Moe is a primary target for the practice squad ala Ebert.

As for Allen, you really think that Mesko's job is at risk? Mesko has been pretty good for the Pats and has had a impressive history of putting opponents inside the 20.

Tracking Projected 53-man Patriots Roster:

(2) QB – Brady, Mallett
(1) C – Wendell

Offense – 24 Players

(5) DE – Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Bequette, Buchanan
(5) DT – Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Love, Cunningham
(1) ILB – Spikes
(4) SS – A. Wilson, T. Wilson, Harmon, Ebner

Defense – 25 players

(8) Practice Squad Candidates – TJ Moe, Steve Beauharnais, Jason Vega, Mike Kafka, Akeem Shavers, Matt Stankiewitch, Brandon Jones

Likely Cut Candidates:

Jenkins and Ebert

Gregory

Well - that is one....The projected fifth DT on my projected 53 is gone....A bit surprising that it was this early. There must have been a salary kicker in his contract.

Last edited:
This is better effort than most.

However, it is a bit sneaky to list 4 SS's for 3 positions.

Tracking Projected 53-man Patriots Roster:

(2) QB – Brady, Mallett
(1) C – Wendell

Offense – 24 Players

(5) DE – Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Bequette, Buchanan
(5) DT – Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Love, Cunningham
(2) ILB – Spikes
(3) SS – A. Wilson, T. Wilson, Harmon, Ebner

Defense – 25 players

(7) Practice Squad Candidates – Moe, Cole, Beauharnais, Robertson, Vega, A. Holmes, Kafka

Likely Cut Candidates:

Jenkins and Ebert

Gregory

Well - that is one....The projected fifth DT on my projected 53 is gone....A bit surprising that it was this early. There must have been a salary kicker in his contract.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back