PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early 2008 Watch List - LB and CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
But regardless, we proably need 2 CB's between day 1 draft picks and FA's.

I agree Sanders and Merriweather could become serviceable Safeties. They may never make the pro bowl but should be capable starters. I don't see Merriweather being a good fit a CB, based on the limited looks fo far his strength is tackling, in coverage his angles are off and hips a little stiff. Good FS potential, low CB potential.

At least two CBs will have to be brought in, 2 of our top 3 are free agents (Samuel, Gay). Maybe they are extended or re-signed but if not the secondary is going to look completely different next year.

Why do you like these CBs so much? The appear to be bigger more physical CBS where as in the past the Patriots have leaned towards smaller faster CBs - Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Poole, Starks (uggg...)

I think BB looks for certain things in a CB. Quick Twitch, Excellent Ball skills and Tackling. Based on those criteria, I think these guys work best.

What about Mike Ricardson,cb from ND we drafted??????He was doing a hell of job before getting hurt???

What about Mike Ricardson,cb from ND we drafted??????He was doing a hell of job before getting hurt???

Richardson is a long way from being a starter, he may be able to land the 4th or 5th CB spot in 08. Even if he does make the roster their is still huge holes.

#1 CB - Hobbs
#2 CB - Open
#3 CB - Open
#4 CB - Jackson
#5 CB - Richardson

Even if we draft two CBs on day 1 there is a huge dropoff from the level of play Samuel and Gay are providing. Gay is replaceable but Samuel is a difference maker and will be missed.

SF is losing big so this pick is looking better and better. I know these things change around draft time but as of now there are no top 16 CBs for this draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3077313

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall went off again on Atlanta Falcons coach Bobby Petrino, saying Wednesday the team appears to be giving up on the season with its release of Grady Jackson......

I have to believe he's trying to shoot his way out of town in a Ty Law fashion at this point. I've always thought he was a little overrated but part of that could be playing for a team like the Falcons. Next year is the last year of his deal so the Falcons might be inclined to get some value for him while they can.

With Samuel's leaving a 90% probability and the FA class being really weak if you could get Hall for a second round pick and sign him to a deal similar to Stallworth where he needs to come in and prove it to see the money it could be interesting. Hall does support the run well he just lacks discipline at times.

This locker room wouldn't let him get away with the crap he's pull in Atlanta.

I'm just throwing this out there as a possibility, one I'm not sold on myself, I just figured there would be a lot of diverse opinions on Hall.

That's a good point everlong. Hall would be a great addition to the team and I don't think it would be a longshot to see him in a Pat's uniform in the next few years.

That's a good point everlong. Hall would be a great addition to the team and I don't think it would be a longshot to see him in a Pat's uniform in the next few years.

I think he is an over-rated punk and a stiff but if Samuel and Gay leave the options will be few and far between.

I am beginning to like the idea of SF giving the Pats a top ten pick which we trade to Dallas for their pick from Cleveland along with their original pick). We may have to throw in one of our 3rd rounders to make it work according to the draft charts.

It is fun to ponder, with a 15 and 30 the Patriots could easily end up with one of the top LBs (Connor, Rivers, Groves, Henderson, Lee, Laurinaitis, Maualuga) and one of the top CBs (Jenkins, King, Cason, Tribble, Thomas, Rodgers-Cromartie, Jenkins).

I think he is an over-rated punk and a stiff but if Samuel and Gay leave the options will be few and far between.

I am beginning to like the idea of SF giving the Pats a top ten pick which we trade to Dallas for their pick from Cleveland along with their original pick). We may have to throw in one of our 3rd rounders to make it work according to the draft charts.

It is fun to ponder, with a 15 and 30 the Patriots could easily end up with one of the top LBs (Connor, Rivers, Groves, Henderson, Lee, Laurinaitis, Maualuga) and one of the top CBs (Jenkins, King, Cason, Tribble, Thomas, Rodgers-Cromartie, Jenkins).

Not only for preparing for future losses in personnel but the ultimate FU to the NFL (and Mangi-Kotite-ius).

My opinion on Hall isn't much different I just wonder if he can be brought in and transformed as others. He has the physical skills I just wonder if it's another million dollar talent with a ten cent head, or is it the environment.

I'm much higher on the LB list than the CB list. I haven't watched as much college ball as I'd like but I just haven't seen any stand out CBs.

More than likely McFadden will still have to be on the board for this to happen. But I would do this scenario in an absolute heartbeat.

Beau Bell

As I look over the LBs, I keep coming back to Beau Bell. He is the one guy tailor-made to be a 3-4 ILB. 6'2 248, 4.63. Reads action quickly, stacks and sheds, speedy enough to drop into coverage, experience in UNLV's 3-4. Beau Bell.

Re: Beau Bell

As I look over the LBs, I keep coming back to Beau Bell. He is the one guy tailor-made to be a 3-4 ILB. 6'2 248, 4.63. Reads action quickly, stacks and sheds, speedy enough to drop into coverage, experience in UNLV's 3-4. Beau Bell.

He caught my eye too, I see him as a mid second rounder and if the Patriots traded back he would be worth considering.

Another one that has the right size/speed to play inside is:
Butler, Ezra Nevada 2 6-2 248 4.54 - may be more of a project

Of the players I have seen, I like Ben Moffitt from South Florida

He makes plays against the run and in coverage, I think he would be a nice 4th round pick, this way we could focus the first 3 rounds on something like CB, OLB, OT/OG, WR. As excited as I am for a shiny new LB in round 1 I really think they will get some kind of veteran to play along side Thomas with the young guys learning the ropes.

Height: 6-2 Weight: 245
Position: ILB Pos2: OLB
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2008
40 Time: 4.69 40 Low: 4.63 40 High: 4.77

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back