PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles trade WR Lewis to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this trade if its for a second day draft pick.

He can play special teams and is a deep threat. He could be a solid # 4 receiver on this team with a big role on special teams.

...eh. He wasn't that great.

Hopefully TFB will make him appear good though.

If Caldwell looked so-so I think Lewis might be so-so as well.

He is fast.

Hopefully he can catch the ball well.

4jm7x0.jpg
Unless they were on returns, he fumbled on two of his thirteen receptions in '07.

The only thing I can think of, is that it is a conditional pick based on production, and they get nothing if he does not make the team. Other than that, I don't see why you would trade for a guy like this?

Before this, your options for the #3 WR were Sam Aiken, Matthew Slater, and Ray Ventrone.

I'd like more options.

Before this, your options for the #3 WR were Sam Aiken, Matthew Slater, and Ray Ventrone.
There are WRs in the 5th round of the draft that are upgrades over those three too. If you see Lewis as a #3, you're nuts. #4 MAYBE.

If Lewis comes in and earns Brady's trust and can run the intermediate and Long routes, then he'll be a steal. As for the kick returns and punt returns. It was only the past two years that he's done so on a very limited basis.

Lewis has been somewhat of a forgotten man the past few years, though he did beat out Gaffney for a spot on the team. And, when asked, he did return kicks and punts. I believe he was also a gunner for the Eagles.

Ugh. Not a great move IMO. Hopefully this doesn't preclude going after a legit #2/3 like Galloway.

Some of you are actually *****ing about trading a conditional pick for a guy that can stretch the field to open up Welker underneath? Further, Brady can make just about anyone look good.

I don't see why so many people are down on this pickup. He's only 29 (just turned), he's speedy, he has nice hands, and he makes $650,000 this year. Just because he wasn't a star in Philly doesn't mean he won't be solid in the hands of the best coaching staff and QB in the league.

Let's not forget, he's competing for #3 at best, and if he doesn't work out, what'd we lose?

This is a no-brainer "I'll wait and see, but on the surface I like it" move.

This guy was actually very impressive during the 2004 playoffs. I remember Belichick commenting on how he thought that he was the one, not T.O., that the defense needed to focus on stopping.

Doritos come in a BOX now!?!?!?! And you want to trade them?

IMO, Lewis has NFL skills, like Gaffney, but he was on a team that didn't really get the ball thrown his way. Just think that McNabb couldn't stay up-right and when he could, the ball was in Westbrook's hands.

Sorry - my bad, I live in Denmark now - it has been awhile since I had any Doritos. Actually, I am a Fridos kind of guy.

But you are right - he must have SOME Nfl skills to still be on the team after (only) 127 catches over 6 seasons (= 21.1 catches per season).

I can hear the trade phone conversation right now.....

BB: "Hello - Andy. I am calling to inquire about your receiver Lewis..."

Andy Reid: " WHO?"

BB: "Greg Lewis, Wide Receiver".

Reid: [putting hand over telephone and yelling out to the office] "Anybody know if we have a player here named Greg Lewis?" "Oh, we do. Ok". [back on the telephone]. Um, yes we do have a player named Lewis. Is he in some kind of trouble? Is this Philly PD calling? "

BB: "No - this is Bill Belichick from the Patriots. I want to inquire about trading for Greg Lewis".

Reid: [incredulously] "WHAT?"

BB: " I want to trade for him".

Reid: " Sure, SURE, you can have Glenn Lewis".

BB: "Greg....Lewis".

Reid: "Yes, yes!"

BB: "What do you want for him?"

Reid: "What did you have in mind"

BB: "A low 2nd day conditional draft pick"

Reid: "Sure, sure. Fine. Let's do it." "Will you be sending along any outside linebackers with the pick?"

OUCH! :eek:

Signing a jag special teamer shouldn't affect whether we are able to sign a #3 receiver.

Never know bb likes jags players wouldn't be surprised if he's been brought in to replace gaffeny as the third wr.

Reiss is reporting that we are giving up a 5th round pick in the deal.

Reiss is reporting that we are giving up a 5th round pick in the deal.

Ouch a 5th rounder? I'd rather draft a punter with that pick... But this is a conditional 2010 pick right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes